The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-21-2016, 08:16 AM

Default Best sounding CF guitar?

I am on a lookout for a carbon fiber guitar and was wondering what would be a highly recommended CF guitar that sounds good and has a good volume to it, price not withstanding?

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

I think they are all just a little different, I've been extremely happy with my H-WS1000N2 12 fret, but I wouldn't call it "the best"....whatever that is. My wife says the Rainsong is my best sounding guitar. I prefer the SCGC, but the Rainsong is a close second. Ya gotta play them, if you can find them.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

That's a pretty loaded question on this forum as you'll find people who really like different makes so best is not really a question that will get just one answer.

With that being said I'll thrown in my 2 cents as to what I feel is "My Best" CF guitar.

After owning about 8 different Composite Acoustics I can say for the longest time this was my preferred carbon guitar as I thought they sounded more like a wooden guitar for whatever reason.

I feel that of the Rainsong guitars I've owned they are slightly brighter overall, not in a bad way just different and some players prefer this. I will say that RS offers a lot of different materials in different ways now days and sound more wooden if you choose the right materials for what you like. They make a great guitar as well.

I have only owned 1 Blackbird lucky 13 and it was a neat guitar and sounded great & played fantastic. This guitar to me sounded somewhat in-between the CA & RS guitars that I've owned.

Now days I have fallen in love with the Emerald X20. I find that it has it's own voice and that voice is just so pleasing to the senses. Joy to play, listen to and be the listener.

All in all these companies all make a great guitar so no bad choice there.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 11-21-2016, 08:59 AM

I would definitely prefer a 'woody' and warmer sounding CF guitar considering I much prefer dark-sounding acoustic or electric guitars.

I just found this clip on the mcpherson and wow this sounds pretty warm for a CF guitar? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoI__eFt61M

Are there any others that sound more warm and hopefully at a cheaper price?

Last edited by Rivers; 11-21-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:17 AM

"Woody and warmer" pretty much describes the CO series of Rainsongs, with the unidirectional carbon fiber top (as opposed to the CF weave). The next step in the continuum is the H series with a hybrid mixture of CF and fiberglass. Lots of people like the SMH Smokey - once they dump those coated black strings.

My new Blackbird Lucky 13 sounds darker than my Rainsong WS-1000. I have called Lucky more mahogany-like, whereas the Rainsong is brighter and more spruce-like. I might eventually experiment with different strings and possibly a nut that yields a brighter tone. But right now I'm just enjoying the heck out of it. Almost all play time has been on Lucky 13 since it arrived, and it is the one going to Arizona with me next week. Every maker has their own take on tone. The Blackbird El Capitan sounds very much like my Taylor guitars.

And nothing comes cheap in the composite / carbon fiber world, BTW.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:34 AM
Anticipation Junkie

The main composite guitar builders these days, all of which build fine instruments in a range of designs, materials and sizes (including travel size) with many followers/owners here include...

- Composite Acoustics (now owned by Peavey)
- Emerald (by far the most flexible to dial-in player preferences such as scale length and nut width, and offers beautiful wood top veneers added to the otherwise one piece instrument)
- RainSong
- Blackbird (now offering an eKoa linen material on some models)
- Kevin Michaels (by McPherson)
- Journey OF660 (removable neck, smallest travel profile)

The best thing you can do is follow (and search) threads in this CF sub-forum for a while to gain insight about the different builders and their models, and the banter that goes on among member contributors. Not that YouTube videos provide the best indication of tone, but they help and most makes/models have been reviewed.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Rivers...

I own both a Journey OF660 and a Blackbird El Capitan. The El Capitan is not carbon fiber (there is some in the bracing I believe) but is made from a revolutionary material called Ekoa. It is a premium instrument at a premium price and sounds like a wood guitar vs. a composite. The Journey is a great instrument, but really excels in the travel category. Please see my NGD post from yesterday regarding the El Capitan.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2016, 10:04 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
I would definitely prefer a 'woody' and warmer sounding CF guitar considering I much prefer dark-sounding acoustic or electric guitars.

I just found this clip on the mcpherson and wow this sounds pretty warm for a CF guitar? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoI__eFt61M

As far as price goes, the Kevin Michaels McPhersons tend to be at the higher range. If you take your time to learn more here, there are other less expensive options among the builders I listed that should meet your needs. This is not to say that the KMs aren't very good...reportedly they are, but perhaps because of the price, not many AGF members own one.

Btw, the KMs come in two sizes...the original travel size (which is in the video you posted), and the full-size Sable. What size guitar are you interested in? As a bit of history, the designer of the KMs is Ellis Seal, former owner/builder of Composite Acoustics (CA) guitars until around 2010 when they went out of business, then Peavey them took over. CA guitars are well-regarded and tend to be thought of as having a woody tone. I've owned two and still have my travel size Cargo I bought new in '08, which is a very well regarded guitar. If that size guitar is what interests you, you should check them out. In fact, there is a current thread in this subforum advising that both Sweetwater and Elderly are now offering great deals on Cargos...$4-500 off list right now. Real good deal. Here's a link to that thread: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=450217

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-22-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:28 PM

FWIW I happen to be in Phoenix this week. We just made a post lunch side trip to Sam Ash in Glendale, where I briefly played a Rainsong H-WS-1000 and a 14 fret Parlor with the unidirectional top. They also had another parlor in green, also 14 fret on closeout sale.

The hybrid WS sounded full, rich and warm. By itself the parlor sounded fine, but side by side the Parlor sounded rather bright, more immediate, and small. I would compare the two as a Taylor GS Mini mahogany compares to a Taylor 512 or 322. The parlor is only about 1" shorter overall, but the body size is most definitely smaller. I would only find this body shape useful / comfortable with a strap.

I have the Blackbird Lucky 13 with me on this trip, but it wasn't with us in the car today. However it is a lot closer is tone and volume to the WS than the RS Parlor.

I hope this commentary helps anyone who is contemplating the purchase of a CF guitar. I put it here rather than starting a whole new thread.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

I have a Rainsong Shorty SSA that sounds great. Not exactly like wood, but woody. Many times I have been asked what kind of wood it is...then I explain.

My guitar playing friends are amazed at the sound it puts out...even a local luthier thinks its great.

In the end, it's all up to your ear.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 11-28-2016, 06:54 PM
Guest 928

Godfather;

Well said!
Old 11-28-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I am on a lookout for a carbon fiber guitar and was wondering what would be a highly recommended CF guitar that sounds good and has a good volume to it, price not withstanding?
The one I have. Actually I have two, Blackbird Lucky 13 and Emerald X20, and I love them both. The X20 is the louder of the two. You can hunt for a while or you can just order one. Either way you will probably be happy with what you end up with.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 11-28-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
FWIW I happen to be in Phoenix this week. We just made a post lunch side trip to Sam Ash in Glendale, where I briefly played a Rainsong H-WS-1000 and a 14 fret Parlor with the unidirectional top. They also had another parlor in green, also 14 fret on closeout sale.
That green parlor has been there for at least 8 months. I'll have to dive over and try the WS though.

For what the OP is wanting, I think the Hybrid or Concert WS would be the way to go.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-29-2016, 09:38 AM

Yes, that green parlor was there at my last visit in May, and had probably been there a while ago that time. The hybrid WS is quite nice....
Old 11-30-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:

If I were recommending a CF guitar base purely on the amount of tonal warmth, I would start with Composite Acoustics, (although some find the tone too "warm" almost bordering on muddy) followed by Kevin Michael, Blackbird, the Rainsong Concert Series with the unidirectional top, or the Rainsong Hybrid series which is a bit mellower, with a hint of vintage vibe.

Note that my recommendation is based purely on more warmth, not what I consider to be the best sounding CF guitar. Were you looking for a CF guitar with good clarity, excellent note separation, rich overtones, and outstanding playabilty, the list would have started from the other direction.

Ideally you want to try these guitars so you can get a feel for the tone, and feel for yourself, but I understand that may not be possible.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 11-30-2016 at 03:24 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber