The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-21-2017, 09:37 PM

Default NGD RAINSONG APLE

I wanted a guitar that looked more traditional or woodlike for use at BG festivals and jams and also one that had the upgraded tuners and electronics like the APSE from Rainsong, but I didn't care for the flat matt finish on the new APSE. So I gave Dave at Rainsong a call, asked if a APSE could be had in gloss and it couldn't as I suspected,,however Dave wrote me back and said there were three of the APLE's in the US still unsold and he sent me the store names.
I contacted one Music Villa in Bozeman Mt. and they had one on the wall that had not sold and made me a great deal on it. so I ordered it and it arrived today. It's always a bit nerve racking buying sight unseen and especially not being able to play first!
I pulled the guitar out of the box, it was in tune, and played for four hours today, and the only thing I did to it was put on a fresh set of strings, as the original ones had been played and on there a while from the looks of them.
This guitar is in one word superb! it plays like butter and i left it completely stock, as it came. Usually I need to do some adjusting to new guitars to make them play to my taste, this is an exception, plays perfect as is.
The tone on this APLE is just absolutely fantastic, and the build quality from Rainsong is as perfect as one could hope for. No string buzz, perfect action, and the blend with the mic and pickup are outstanding!!
This guitar sounds so close to wood I can hardly believe it, bass is really deep, no brittle or brassy tones and a deep dark or bright and snappy tone is just a quick adjustment away with these electronics. Love this mic pickup combination. The tuners are great and very accurate as well.
This is the first guitar of many high end acoustics I have owned over the years that just popped out of the case set up perfect!!
My rating for the Rainsong APLE is Al and Rainsong really nailed it on this one! Jerry
Old 01-22-2017, 08:40 AM

Does the APLE sound different than a Shorty SG acoustically? If so, what accounts for the difference?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Does the APLE sound different than a Shorty SG acoustically? If so, what accounts for the difference?

Thanks
I have, at least for the moment, both a Shorty SFT and an APLE. Both purchased used through this forum. I like the Shorty just fine. I like the APLE even better.

If I understand correctly, the Shorty is a carbon fiber and fiberglass blend, while the APLE (and the APSE that succeeded it, I assume) are all CF. The sound of the "blended" instruments is advertised as being more close to the sound of a wood guitar. That's as may be, but I personally prefer the more "brilliant" sound of the APLE and of my older (2007) OM 1000 (both all CF) slightly, over that of the Shorty or of the Smokey SMH.

If I had to cut back to only one CF or blend guitar, I could live very happily with any of them, but given my druthers, would keep the APLE. (The older OM1000 would be just as good if it weren't for the Arthritis in my left thumb and wrist, which makes me strongly prefer the short scale and 12-fret neck.)

YMMV.

Peter

Last edited by PeteCady; 01-22-2017 at 09:44 AM. Reason: orig. used "are" where should have been "is"
Old 01-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Guest 928

Jerry;

Congratulations! Great story and a great guitar--it doesn't get any better.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:57 AM

Yes the APLE to me is by far the best I have played, had Lucky 13 a RS Parlor and still have the Shorty GL which I like but the tone from the APLE is IMO far superior in terms of depth and bass, can be blended into the most mellow sounding guitar when amped stereo almost close to my jazz archtop.
I think the full carbon body has a lot to do with it, also love the upgraded tuners. I play Bluegrass fiddle tunes and some chord melody and single line jazz so it's a very versatile guitar all around. And this summer no worries about weather at outdoor events. A real winner IMO, the APSE I had was just as nice, but the gloss is better for me, and I wanted the sound hole mic. This of course is my personal preference.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:00 AM

The APLE & APSE have the uni-directional top on them. It is all carbon but sounds way different then their regular all carbon tops.

I played an APLE recently in Canada and it was amazing. The gloss finish is so nice. Great note separation, no dead spots, musical and balanced tone. The only thing that stopped me was the missing 2 frets and less bass then I prefer. No picture does the finish justice. I don't understand why they switched to a flat finsh for the APSE!
Old 01-22-2017, 11:26 AM

Congrats, Jerry. Glad you found the right guitar for you. I like the tone of uni-directional tops, but already have my woven top RS.

I wonder if Al Petteway will bring his APSE when he teaches at Acoustic Alaska Guitar Camp this coming August?
Old 01-22-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
The APLE & APSE have the uni-directional top on them. It is all carbon but sounds way different then their regular all carbon tops.

I played an APLE recently in Canada and it was amazing. The gloss finish is so nice. Great note separation, no dead spots, musical and balanced tone. The only thing that stopped me was the missing 2 frets and less bass then I prefer. No picture does the finish justice. I don't understand why they switched to a flat finsh for the APSE!
My understanding is that the Shorty SG also has the uni-directional top. The body is the hybrid CF and glass.

I do have a WS1000-n2 with the gloss sunburst finish and I like that a lot. But very strangely I think I like the look of the black fiber on the back, sides and neck of the Shorty SG better.

I'm not a fan of the Fishman barndoor systems with the built in mic on the preamp. I have that in a few Taylors and never add the sound from the mic. I think the Baggs Anthem in the newest Petteway is much better (I have the system in a Gibson Country Western). Very natural yet powerful combination of ust and mic. I have not tried the Fishman Prefix Premium Blend system with the microphone on an adjustable mini gooseneck. I did have the fishman earthsomething pickup with the mic on a mini gooseneck and preferred the system without the mic. But it's great that they make so many different styles so everyone can pick their favorite!

Last edited by DavidE; 01-22-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:50 PM

I see there's an APLE available for $1999 (or make an offer) on Reverb so likely less than the cost of a new Shorty SG. https://reverb.com/item/3327007-rain...pre-owned-2014
Old 01-23-2017, 08:41 AM

No pictures? Come on now, you know the rules here!

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-23-2017, 09:19 AM

Been on this forum a good while but never had success posting pictures, the one at Artisan above sums it up, got a better deal on a new one in the end as I had a trade involved, and Music Villa did me right, so I am very happy, saw this one when I was looking. They only made 75 as I understand it, so not to many floating around out there. Two more new per Dave still out.
The one on Reverb is a good deal though and I would go for it over the standard Shorty for sure!!
Old 01-23-2017, 10:49 AM
Guest 928

Ukejon;

Nice Utube play. Love the nylon sound. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:25 AM

Congrats, Jerry. Use it in good health.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:24 PM

Thanks Ted , most likely be calling you before to long again, really like that new Blackbird, going to be a waiting list??? Jerry
Old 01-24-2017, 11:22 AM

Well after having my Rainsong Shorty APLE and playing this past week for about 20+ hours or more both plugged and unplugged I can honestly say I love this guitar. So I need to change my previous rating....:!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber