The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-20-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
....but the El Capitan was just a bit big for me.......
While El Capitan looks big in photos with a Gibson-ish SJ shape, in your arms it is much closer to a Taylor GA size. I was pleasantly surprised when I got the chance to actually play one.

I have a new Lucky 13, but if they built that guitar in eKoa it would be a real winner too. But one thing at a time.....
Old 01-20-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamarebel View Post
Oh no I know it's not and this isnt saying blackbird is mispricing. I just think many won't paythat much for a 3/4
Lots of people paying $2400 for a Kevin Michaels Tiuring...just a thought... the proof will be in the sound IMHO.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Guitars are not like pizza, where bigger costs more. Consider it more like buying a nice suit: I wear a 44, costs the same as a 38. The difference in materials is minimal, the work in producing it is a big factor in the price. And, it takes just as much work to make, regardless the size (within reason, of course).
Old 01-20-2017, 08:16 PM

Interesting analogy! Glad I can work from home ... and spend money on guitars rather than suits. Come to think of it, I could have a walk-in closet full of suits for what I've spent on four CF guitars lately. Good trade.

Looking forward to the Savoy reviews for sure.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkel12 View Post
Sign me up for one, Ted and Joe! My L13 and my Farallon need another sibling.
You will not be disappointed, I guarantee it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Ted...

It's hard to tell from the photos but I think Joe said they were going to move to a satin finish is that what these are?

I know that a lot of people do not seem to like the headstock on the El Capitan but I've really grown to like it and to be quite honest like it better than the one that's on the Savoy. Of course that is just in my humble opinion and I will be a bit prejudiced because I have the El Capitan...lol.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
The finish is the same satin as the one on your El Cap. As to the head stock, slotted would make no sense on this guitar. But that's just my (not) so humble opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
Having recently purchased an Ekoa Farallon uke from Blackbird, I am super interested in their Ekoa guitars - but the El Capitan was just a bit big for me. This Savoy is just about the size of my Emerald X7, so I am going to find this very hard to resist.
The Savoy is a bit bigger, but definitely just as travel friendly as the X7, but it feels, and sounds way more substantial. With all due respect to our Irish friend, comparing the X7 to the Savoy, is like comparing an X7 to a Santa Cruz 1929 Size O.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
You will not be disappointed, I guarantee it!

The finish is the same satin as the one on your El Cap. As to the head stock, slotted would make no sense on this guitar. But that's just my (not) so humble opinion.

The Savoy is a bit bigger, but definitely just as travel friendly as the X7, but it feels, and sounds way more substantial. With all due respect to our Irish friend, comparing the X7 to the Savoy, is like comparing an X7 to a Santa Cruz 1929 Size O.
Ted...

Actually I think Joe said they were switching to the satin after mine...I don't know that mine was the last one, but around that time frame. In any case, mine is high gloss.

It seems that there are so very few of el capitan's out in the wild... Ted do you know if Joe is going to the regular headstock on the newer El Capitans?

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2017, 08:51 PM

Todd, if you have a gloss El Cap, than this one would be different. It is satin like most of the El Caps that made it out of Frisco.

As to the headstock, Joe loves to call me for opinions, than do what ever he wants, so I have no idea what he is thinking. Good news is, no matter what he does with the headstock, it wont change tone.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
As with other Ekoa models, the tone is warmer than carbon fiber model, and it's definitely more versatile than any small body Gibson.

The scale is 24.5", Jim.
Ted, any initial thoughts on how this compares to the Lucky 13?
Old 01-20-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaichine View Post
Ted, any initial thoughts on how this compares to the Lucky 13?
Initial thoughts, bit more intimate, with a mellower voice. If you're looking to cuddle up with a guitar, maybe write some music, this one would be hard to beat.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Initial thoughts, bit more intimate, with a mellower voice. If you're looking to cuddle up with a guitar, maybe write some music, this one would be hard to beat.
Definitely a good choice for Blackbird. Hopefully the next choice will be good for me! Short scale OM ekoa, please, Joe.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 01-21-2017, 07:59 AM

Joe just seems to keep nailing it. Maybe cause I have Gibson in my blood from my youth. That one is really so interesting. I'm retired now, I don't need a new guitar!! Help!!
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-22-2017, 05:35 PM

Just so you know..I really really ...yes really want this new Blackbird.... just sayin....gotta go...at airport getting from the very rainy Southern California
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-22-2017, 10:11 PM

Here's a video they posted with the Savoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He1R3H-pcAQ

Made me really want to get one, but then again it's $2500 and not an impulse buy, imo. Going to have to seriously sleep on that one if I really want to get it.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Hi Ted and Others from the show,

Very intrigued with the descriptions of the sound.... where would you rank it's sound.... this similar to the shorty and more warmer & expansive then the P12??? How does it sound verses the other high end travel guitar like the Kevin Michael Touring.... in terms of sound?

Inquiring minds want to know... :-)

Thanks!!!
Old 01-23-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Hi Ted and Others from the show,

Very intrigued with the descriptions of the sound.... where would you rank it's sound.... this similar to the shorty and more warmer & expansive then the P12??? How does it sound verses the other high end travel guitar like the Kevin Michael Touring.... in terms of sound?

Inquiring minds want to know... :-)

Thanks!!!
Rainsong guitars have a very distinct tone, with lots of clarity, excellent note separation, and rich overtones. They have embraced the tonal qualities of carbon fiber with great success. McPherson, like Composite Acoustics, decided a more fundamental tone might be a better seller, so their tone tends to be somewhat muted, but you can still hear the carbon fiber.

Joe @ Blackbird already has great sounding carbon fiber guitars, so with the Ekoa series he went after the tonal qualities of high end all solid wood guitars. A tall order, but in fact, tonally the closet thing we could find to the El Capitan in our store was a Collings SJ, and I tend to compare his Ekoa Uke's to vintage Martins. I'll need to play the Savoy alongside some other small body acoustics to tell you where it stands, but from my initial impression at NAMM, as with other Ekoa models, I think I will need to look to wood guitars when describing the Savoy's tone.

We should have our first one in spring, so stay tuned for a more thorough review.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber