The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-06-2024, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

Two builds with Michel Aboudib.

Instruments:
2022 Dake Traphagen 12F Slope Dread--Torrefied Carpathian Spruce/Snakewood
2016 Darren Hippner "Torres" classical model--German Spruce/Pernambuco

Commissioned:
mid-2024 Michel Aboudib MA-J Fanfret--Western Red Cedar/Bois de Rose
late-2024 Michel Aboudib--TBD
Old 01-06-2024, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Bruce Sexauer has just begun my first ever custom build. I chose his unique fully asymmetrical multi-scale "JB" style in old growth Brazilian and German Spruce, with a number of Snakewood appointments.

I had never seriously considered ordering a custom build before. I was worried about making such a sizable investment without being able to play the guitar first. Then a fellow AGF member let me try one of his Sexauers, which ended up being my favorite guitar I've ever played. I bought that guitar, then eventually made a trip to Bruce's shop in Petaluma where I was able to play several others in different sizes and wood types. I would have gladly bought any of them they were all so good. After spending more time talking with Bruce, I felt totally confident that he'd build me something extraordinary that would fit my personal preferences. So I took the plunge in 2024....

You can see the build in progress in this thread if you're interested:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=679724

Last edited by Palladio; 01-06-2024 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 04:21 PM

A Larrivee OO-03 in Sunburst ,14 fret to the body ,Hog. With Cutaway.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:18 PM

My first and maybe only custom build. Ken Casper of Casper Guitars. His Huron model. Really looking forward to it.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:17 PM

Brazilian / Adirondak 00 hybrid (12 fret body with 14 fret neck).

And a koa / Sitka SJ instrument - haven't decided if it'll be a bouzouki or a guitar.

Old 01-06-2024, 10:17 PM

Just took delivery of a super special Beneteau Baritone yesterday. Thread coming soon!
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 01-07-2024, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

I'm expecting my OM from Max Spohn, hopefully before Spring.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Steve Sheriff just started my Performance model build. Quilted maple back & sides, German spruce top.

Right now, the back and top panels have been joined and cut. The sides have been prepared for bending and should be ready later this week. I've asked for all figured Ziricote trim, and it'll sport an entirely new Florentine cut out profile.

This is my first custom build, and I am so excited. It's been a thoroughly enjoyable experience thus far, and I'm honored to say Steve has become a good friend along the way.

Many more pictures to come.

Last edited by redcrow; 01-08-2024 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
Just took delivery of a super special Beneteau Baritone yesterday. Thread coming soon!
Very exciting! I'll look forward to the big reveal

I have a new build with Marc starting very soon. It'll be my 2nd commission with him and the 6th Beneteau overall.
Old 01-08-2024, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrow View Post
Steve Sheriff just started my Performance model build. Quilted maple back & sides, German spruce top.

Wow, that maple is stunning!

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-08-2024, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Hi all,

Almost an embarrassment of riches for me this year, but for some reason I've gone nuts. 2024 would be a banner year even for one of these builds to happen, yet I am expecting delivery of five guitars by year's end.

First, later this week, I should be receiving the Michel Aboudib's Bois de Rose and Italian Spruce MA-D guitar that he displayed at Woodstock in October and was recently posted here in the Custom section... https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=679344 Needless to say, I'm pretty excited.

Most likely, next up will be a Fugue model by Tyler Wells (an archtop) in Wenge and Sitka Spruce with Macassar Ebony binding and trim. Tyler has already started on it, but had to stop to finish up some other builds. He will most likely have it done and will be displaying it at the Artisan Guitar show in April.

I have a guitar most likely getting started by my friends Chris and Jeremy Jenkins (Lame Horse Instruments) in the first quarter of 2024. It will be a Big Hoss model in "The Tree" with most likely an Engleman Spruce top. Even more special, is that we have plans for me to visit during the build so I can learn a bit from Chris on how to voice a guitar and perhaps learn a little more about building guitars.

Towards the end of the year, I have a 426 Multiscale model scheduled with Steve Kauffman (Kauffman and Klein) with Braz back and sides and a German Spruce top.

Lastly, I have build with Leo Buendia coming. I'm thinking an OM in Wenge, but I need to visit him to figure out exactly what we are doing. I've been on his list for about 4 years, but both of us got our wires crossed. It will most likely commence at the end of this year.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

We all benefit from your going nuts in 2024, Dan, lots for us to enjoy as well
Old 01-09-2024, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

Default What custom guitar commissions are you expecting delivery on in 2024?

This one pushed from last year but I just got a confirmed spring start! Been a minute and I’m real excited for this one.
Halland 000-H
Brazilian/Swiss
Arm bevel
1937ish Martin style burst

And a couple years back Gage built a guitar and put this really beautiful shell on the bevel, which we will do on this one too.IMG_2062.jpgIMG_7006.jpg

And that shell design
IMG_6723.jpgIMG_3610.jpg
Old 01-09-2024, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

I have a John Osthoff OM (Brazilian/European) coming mid year that I'm pretty stoked about. It's essentially going to be an OM-42 style build with a style 45 Torch inlay but the tone will obviously be all Osthoff
Old 01-09-2024, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

I have a Rockbridge 12 fret 00 model with Englemann over Ziricote with an imitation Gibson sunburst on order hopefully arriving within the next few months.

If it looks anywhere near as stunning as most all of the pics posted in this thread look, then I’ll be thrilled!
'09 00-18 Tim O'Brien | '11 000-18 Norman Blake | '53 D-18 | '68 D-21 | CS21-11 | '83 D-28V |'05 D-18 Authentic | '14 D-28 Authentic | CS D45 | Rockbridge 000 | Rockbridge Smeck | '05 Rockbridge D-21 BRW | Collings MT-2 | National Reso Rocket

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop