The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Eric Skye

Default Question About Using Stereo Mic Directly Into iMac

Okay, I hope this makes sense; So I have the Rode NT4 stereo mic which I usually use with a Presonus Firestudio to record into my iMac. But this mic can also terminate to stereo mini jack (1/8), and using the NT4’s battery, can plug directly into the iMac sound mini jack sound input. This doesn’t sound as good, as expected, but I like the idea of doing this for recording remotely on my Macbook and not having to always bringing the firewire interface, for just a quick and dirty recording setup. The main problem with this is that the signal isn't quite hot enough, and it’s not quite as quiet. So my question is, would something like the Giffen iMic http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic be a good choice for going directly into the computer is this instance? I know the iMic takes a stereo mini and then runs into USB, and then into can also be switched to mic level. Would that “mic level” make it hotter than me just running directly into iMac? Or is there something other device than the iMic out there?

Last edited by min7b5; 12-29-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Eric - Duet is the Answer

Aloha Eric,

I hate to suggest spending more money, but the much more portable & much, much better Apogee Duet preamp - w/two-channels & killer mic pre's, plus the 48V phantom that an NT-4 requires - provides a a better solution.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Duet/

With your discerning ears, Eric, I suggest that you don't go direct into the iMac's mic input. I have tried that same NT-4 into my iMac & could not get any sound at first because of no phantom power. So I used an external phantom power source on the mic - & still did not like the sound direct into the iMac.

Eric, you really do need a great interface for the kind of ears & applications you've developed over many years. The Duet is the best portable one.

Through the breakout cables, & adaptors, you easily can plug the NT-4 into a Duet.

You can take that Duet anywhere with your MacBook Pro & find it new for around $400. And it's dimensions are just 1-1/2"x 4" x6" - not much of a footprint - it's really portable.

In addition, Apple & Apogee have fully integrated the soft & hardware of that combo = more stability. Presonus can't hold a candle to Apogee.

The Duet provides a much better solution, IMO.

A Hui Hou, Eric!
alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 12-31-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
... I know the iMic takes a stereo mini and then runs into USB, and then into can also be switched to mic level. Would that “mic level” make it hotter than me just running directly into iMac? Or is there something other device than the iMic out there?
In *theory* it should work. I have no experience with the iMic though.

Regarding coming up with something that could work as a "quick and dirty" setup, you may want to consider the Apogee One. Good thing is that, beyond having it as a "quick and dirty" mic / interface, I'm sure you could find a use for it in the studio. If I had a Mac Book, this would definitely be on my shopping list!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:30 AM

The iMic would yield better results than plugging a microphone directly into the laptop computer but here are some alternatives that I would prefer:

http://www.centrance.com/products/mp/

http://www.mxlmics.com/products/USB/...cMate_Pro.html
Old 12-31-2010, 07:52 AM

Hmm,

The NT4 is too low directly plugged in? Are there any hidden gain adjustments in your computer that you haven't found?

Maybe your computer audio input just doesn't have the gain you need for a condenser mic. Do other mics work better?

Herb's got good choices, especially the Centrance Mic Port Pro. YOu'd need two for stereo mics and check to see if your computer will handle two audio USB inputs. I have heard that some PCs don't, but I can't confirm that. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

-Ty Ford
Old 12-31-2010, 02:09 PM

From what I recall, the NT4 is a stereo condenser mic and if my recollection is correct, you need a microphone preamp with phantom power to make that mic sound as it's designed. You can't plug a condenser mic straight into any soundcard, as far as I know.

Jim McCarthy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD