The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

The whole system of the Trance Audio Amulet M Phantom Acoustic Guitar System is phantom-powered and the output jack accepts a 1/4 inch to XLR cable. With its onboard preamp, you'll not need an external preamp/EQ device to try to make it sound good. Seems too costly? Probably not when you figure that you'll have to add an external preamp/EQ to some other systems just to make the pickup sound good.

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-12-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:35 AM

Grace Alix , or Bix
Old 02-12-2017, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffersonian View Post
I have a guitar with the piezo USTs, and am interested in finding a good external preamp that can do the things we all need when using this type of pickup. In other words, make it sound a lot more like a mic'd acoustic and less like a piezo. There are many choices out there, and I'd like your feedback on experiences with what is available.

1) Paramount is removing the negative qualities of the 'piezo tone' and having it sound more like a guitar.
2) DI line out is a nice-to-have.
3) Phantom powered is a nice-to-have.
4) Effects and guitar models aren't necessary, but I won't kick them off the list if they are included in the right unit.
5) All else being equal, simpler is better.

I've been looking at everything from basic Para DI boxes to the TC BodyRez to digital processors. What are your experiences, and what products would you recommend I look at?

Thank you!
You might check out the new product called Tonedexter, if it does as advertised it could be promising for exactly what you are seeking . There is a thread about it link below

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459075

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-12-2017, 03:39 PM

Or for $20 a Behringer EQ700...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-12-2017, 05:15 PM

A vote here for the Fishman Platnum Pro. Been using it frequently & love it.
I still have my old Behringer AD121 that worked very well.
That might be good for budget considerations
Fishman Loudbox Mini

https://soundcloud.com/fat-daddy-206551814

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEo...JZsD2t0JaE03xg
Old 02-13-2017, 08:14 AM

Default Please recommend an external preamp for piezo UST

It's amazing how many options there are to consider. I'd try and narrow down the range first.

1. Will you keep the UST in the guitar? The SBT systems like K&K, Dazzo, JBB, Trance Amulet, all have a more pleasing tone, but *can* be more prone to feedback. As mentioned the Trance with phantom might check the boxes. The only downside if you go SBT is to match the preamp to the proper impedance. Most are setup for single piezo USTs. This is why I go SBT with active internal preamp. I can plug into anything and get a decent sound.
2. If you like the UST tone and want to kill the quack, most preamp/DIs with para EQ on the market will do that. Some have more features and higher quality components.
3. If you want to keep your UST, but you want it to sound like an actual guitar, you'll need modeling like the Tonedexter, Zoom A3, Line 6, and Fishman Aura, or sophisticated auto para EQ/comp like Body res, Boss VE-8, etc. Basically, you're using the UST to drive a predictable signal and let the modeler reassign a wave map. You can also pair these devices with SBT, and get excellent results, if you get the settings right.

Let us know which category you're in and we can help you narrow it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-15-2017, 10:30 AM

At this point, the Fishman Aura Spectrum DI is the best choice for what you need to do. You'll need to spend time selecting the right images for your guitar, but once you do, you'll be rewarded with killer tone that sounds nothing like a quacky UST.

I'm also on the waiting list for a ToneDexter, and I really look forward to trying it out with all my stage guitars. Fun time to be a performing acoustic guitarist!
[email protected]
Two cool Breedloves
Five amazing Aura-equipped Martins
2013 Gibson SJ-200
Two jumbo maple Guild 12-strings
Guild 8-string baritone
1979 Ovation Custom Balladeer
Peter Frampton Epiphone Texan
Yamaha 12-string
Alvarez classical
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10-Top
Lots of Fender & Variax electrics
Old 02-15-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bartus View Post
At this point, the Fishman Aura Spectrum DI is the best choice for what you need to do. You'll need to spend time selecting the right images for your guitar, but once you do, you'll be rewarded with killer tone that sounds nothing like a quacky UST.

I'm also on the waiting list for a ToneDexter, and I really look forward to trying it out with all my stage guitars. Fun time to be a performing acoustic guitarist!
Agree, it's the most one-stop solution. USTs are prone to harsh sound as the pickup is being crushed by your saddle and string pressure and the output is higher than most built-in preamps can often handle. That's why brands like Taylor & Takamine build their piezos into the bridge itself, or pickups like Ovation & the Baggs LB6 are built into the saddle. The LB6 is especially clean sounding, which is the result of the sensors being encased within the saddle.

However, with the exception of a really good mag pickups, the UST is the most functional and practical pickup system and its textures are more acoustic than a mag pickup. I would recommend you either change to a saddle pickup like the LB6 or buy a Fishman Aura, which will do everything you need, plus paint a digital approximation of a mic'd guitar onto your signal. The D-Tar Mama Bear is similar and also an exceptional toy.

Otherwise, I would recommend you try a SBT like K&K, Pickup the World, or Dazzo or a dual source system that blends a SBT and UST.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification