The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-01-2024, 08:29 AM

Default Back to memorizing Classical Gas- Mason Williams

I almost got through it about a year ago and stopped about 16 bars short. At least for me it's somewhat grueling to memorize. The two saving graces are it's mostly 8th notes and there are repeating sections. But it is a beautiful piece and I do want to it down pat!

This time I have a guitar instructor I report to once a week that keeps me from quitting, and he's got a more accurate interpretation right off the original guitar only recording of the song. The score I had was decent, but there were parts that I knew were not accurate.

I can't wait until I can play this all the way through from memory.

Anybody else learning or play this piece?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwxtz0JC5Cg

Last edited by Cecil6243; 03-01-2024 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:55 AM

I learned the first (easy) part not long after he recorded this and still have that album - Handmade. It's a song I play often but I stop when it begins walking up the neck the first time, so about the first 40 seconds. Like you, I think the song is well worth learning but I just never did... I should learn it, too!

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 03-01-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
I learned the first (easy) part not long after he recorded this and still have that album - Handmade. It's a song I play often but I stop when it begins walking up the neck the first time, so about the first 40 seconds. Like you, I think the song is well worth learning but I just never did... I should learn it, too!
You should! What makes it easier for me, once the parts get into the 5 to 8th frets, is I have it in tab in front of me.

Last edited by Cecil6243; 03-01-2024 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:37 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I had learned this back in the 70's (and forgotten it too). I have notation for it somewhere, but re-learning Mood For A Day is coming first.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-02-2024, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
You should! What makes it easier for me, once the parts get into the 5 to 8th frets, is I have it in tab in front of me.
I wonder if that's what is slowing down your learning/memorising process? I could be wrong on that, but it is worth considering.

I don't read TAB myself but I do use notation when singing (mvc with 4 part harmonies). To properly "learn" a piece, I have to put the music down.

The process of reading TAB is taking up a section of cognitive capability that should be doing something else. Is it building an unhelpful pathway that's perhaps not condusive to memorization?

Another thought: I expect Mason Williams played his composition slightly differently on each outing, improvising somewhat around the themes of each section. So, if I was to learn this piece I'd be inclined to work on each theme, and play around with those by ear, then pull it all together, rather than tackling the piece linearly.

I don't actually have the skill set, or enough fingers (literally!) to attempt this style of guitar playing. So I'm only talking hypothetically here, just to get some ideas flowing.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 03-02-2024 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I wonder if that's what is slowing down your learning/memorising process? I could be wrong on that, but it is worth considering.

I don't read TAB myself but I do use notation when singing (mvc with 4 part harmonies). To properly "learn" a piece, I have to put the music down.

The process of reading TAB is taking up a section of cognitive capability that should be doing something else. Is it building an unhelpful pathway that's perhaps not condusive to memorization?

Another thought: I expect Mason Williams played his composition slightly differently on each outing, improvising somewhat around the themes of each section. So, if I was to learn this piece I'd be inclined to work on each theme, and play around with those by ear, then pull it all together, rather than tackling the piece linearly.

I don't actually have the skill set, or enough fingers (literally!) to attempt this style of guitar playing. So I'm only talking hypothetically here, just to get some ideas flowing.
Interesting points. You may be right. I actually learned to read music before I used tabs, but for high up on the fret board it's much easier for me to read tabs.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Yes I play my own version of it because I was never able to quite master the B part in the tab I downloaded from Steve McWilliams free site. It's the best tab I've come across for the piece but you must have at least the free version of TablEdit to access it which is not a problem really.

https://www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/tapentab.htm

BTW the standard notation is included above the tab which is helpful as well.

Last edited by Bluenose; 03-06-2024 at 10:22 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write