The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-30-2017, 10:41 AM

Default Rocksmith 2014 remastered

Looking for opinions. Legitimate learning tool or just a toy?

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 01-30-2017, 05:32 PM

Paully - we had a pretty thorough discussion of the program just a few months ago. Do a search for that thread.

I have had the program since its inception. It has improved a bit since the behinning. It's definitely not a toy, but it doesn't do a great job of teaching one to play the guitar either. I Think it is best at getting you to develop rhythm.

It is hard though for a newbie to see the patterns that they are playing. Ideally, you will start on a beginner level and add notes as you become more adept... The added notes don't always make sense as to where they occur and how they fit into the fabric of the song. There are a lot of power chords and a lot of playing up the neck... but you end up with very little understanding of what you were playing and why.

And despite the problems shortcomings, I pull the program out every few weeks and have some fun with it.

Best,

Rick
Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 PM

Paully, I found it helpful for learning the basic structure of songs and the rhythm section (chords mainly) behind them. But if you're looking to learn lead parts, look somewhere else. Rocksmith doesn't provide any printed materials with their program and while you can break down solos into parts and create a loop, the smallest "chunk" of time might be 5-7 seconds, which is an eternity when you're trying to learn a solo note-for-note and have no other resource to rely on for your learning (i.e. no tablature).

In that respect, Rocksmith is pretty worthless. I (and others) have submitted this feedback to Rocksmith but there have no been updates that I'm aware of. If they got this major oversight fixed and made it more flexible to the user's needs, it could be an amazing product.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 01-31-2017, 05:37 AM

Steely - I'm glad you mentioned the lack of printed tab. There is a freeware utility that extracts tab from the catalog. Also, there is a lively users community that generates Rocksmith tab for many other songs (plus finger exercises and etudes) but the quality is highly variable and many of them are useless.

I suspect that the development team works on a shoestring budget and the owner of the program rights doesn't see this program as a big money maker.

Oh well, it's still fun once in awhile. And when I look back at my career playing guitar (ten years starting at age 53), my biggest leaps forward have come from taking a weekend workshop with Toby Walker, playing with others and doing my first open mic. Rocksmith did help a little with rhythm and speed, so it isn't useless.

best,

Rick
Old 01-31-2017, 06:35 AM

I've just restarted playing guitar and know virtually nothing. I got the rocksmith game and have been playing it a time or two per week for a couple weeks now.

I don't think it'll ever really teach me how to play guitar. But, I think it's just one tool in the box that's useful. The thing I'm getting the most out of it now is getting comfortable with the fretboard. It two or three weeks I've gone from very carefully placing each finger to being able to find a note in a second or two. Most times.

I'm glad I have it, but I don't think it'll ever replace traditional practice or lessons.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:33 AM

Thanks for all the input. It seems to be what I want from it for now. It'll be another excuse to pick up my guitar. Probably build some finger strength and muscle memory.

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 02-04-2017, 04:36 AM

My two cents ;

As one who had never picked up a guitar, nor had any notion of having any musical talent, though had played a lot of consoles my thoughts are that it aids one become familiar with the guitar. If it is alien to you, you use it as a control pad, as it were, until it feels a little more like a guitar and you start to notice you can get sounds of of it.

Then ditch it and learn any other way you can.

Helped me start this way.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

---Honesty is an expensive gift. Don't expect it from cheap people.----

Gibson J45 Custom Ebony
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 Redwood/Rosewood
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE/VS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write