The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-13-2017, 03:30 PM

Default Improve Sony AX 53 video recording sound quality help?

First video recording in my life.....Just bought this puppy Saturday & did a straight recording with my Harbinger PA.....I like the video quality andIi'm sure I can do much better, but the sound definitely needs eh.....work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS375fO6PVE&t=7s

In the video on my left you can see I have a TASCAM DP24 & an AUDIO TECHNICA condenser mic 4040....Can I & should I be using these?

Can I come out from my TASCAM straight into the video recorder, put my headphones on and get better quality?

Haven't tried it yet, cause don't know if it would blow or overload Video Camcorder....there is an small mic input (1/8 or .35mm?)on side of camera where I think I can go in....

In addition to the one on top which would be a camcorder mic....

Thoughts anyone? Sorry to be so green on this but.......I am venturing into unchartered water

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me

Last edited by SteveA; 02-13-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

Sure, just record the audio to your Tascam. Load both audio and video into a video editor and get them in sync. Kill the audio on the video track, leaving the audio as the sound. You can synchronize them with something as simple as a clap at the beginning, and just manually (visually) line up the audio and video tracks. Or, again depending on your video software, there are ways to automatically synchronize them.

This has been discussed a lot on the forum, so maybe search on "sync audio and video" or something. If you provide more info about your platform (windows, Mac, editing software), someone who has the same set up can probably chime in with details.

I use a Mac and Final Cut Pro X, and all I have to do is load the 2 (or more sources), select them, and select a menu item that synchronizes them. Check my You Tube channel for examples that are all done this way - video to various cameras, sound to a Zoom H6 (or similar, depending on how old the video is). I think Fran Guidry, on his homebrewed music site may have some tutorials on this, and I imagine there are many on you tube as well.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

To add to what Doug has said above , skip the PA altogether and I would record with your AT 4040 directly into your DP24 (the sound will be significantly superior to the Cam mic ). Then just connect your DP 24 to a computer via the USB connection and then as he said get the files into a DAW that can play both Audio and Video

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-15-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
To add to what Doug has said above , skip the PA altogether and I would record with your AT 4040 directly into your DP24 (the sound will be significantly superior to the Cam mic ). Then just connect your DP 24 to a computer via the USB connection and then as he said get the files into a DAW that can play both Audio and Video
Yeah, that's what I had thought Doug was referring to skipping the PA....Thanks for confirmation. Should be a pristine sound.....

Any specific DAW that does both? All I have is Pro Tools

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Yeah, that's what I had thought Doug was referring to skipping the PA....Thanks for confirmation. Should be a pristine sound.....

As far as I know, Pro Tools won't do it. You need a video editor. Final Cut or iMovie on a Mac, probably quite a few on the PC (but I don't keep up with what's available there - I know Adobe Premier is one option)
Old 02-16-2017, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Most applications that do both are going to pretty limited in one or the other or both

BTW which version of Pro Tools ? and what computer Mac or PC ?

I know I can do basic video editing PT HD 11 and above but am not sure about regular PT, but the editing is pretty much limited to cut and paste.

But even though I have PTHD I still edit the video in Final Cut Pro X. I like to get the audio where I want it in PT then import it into FCP X and then dial in the video to fit the audio.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 02-16-2017, 08:22 AM

I have PT 12. But I will purchase a dedicated DAW for this. I use a Mac Book Pro

God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 02-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have PT 12. But I will purchase a dedicated DAW for this. I use a Mac Book Pro
I'm not sure what you mean "dedicated" DAW do you mean dedicated Video Editor" program ?

If It were me , I would just record the audio into Pro tools and then bring a finished stereo interleaved file into either Imovie (free with Mac) or definite step up in features purchase Final Cut Pro from Apple. And you will be set to do very professional grade music videos.

http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 02-16-2017, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean "dedicated" DAW do you mean dedicated Video Editor" program ?

If It were me , I would just record the audio into Pro tools and then bring a finished stereo interleaved file into either Imovie (free with Mac) or definite step up in features purchase Final Cut Pro from Apple. And you will be set to do very professional grade music videos.

Agreed, iMovie should be fine. If you can spring for the $299 for Final Cut Pro X, you'll have all you ever need to create even the most professional videos. It makes syncing and multi-cam incredibly easy.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:39 AM

Wink

Quote:

Yes video DAW. I neglected to mention I am also the Director of Sales & Marketing at Credit Law Solutions and the dual reason for my purchase is to do Credit video series on YouTube to continue to grow my influence there.

The wife couldn't say no to the purchase because my business Marketing pays the bills

God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 02-18-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Agreed, iMovie should be fine. If you can spring for the $299 for Final Cut Pro X, you'll have all you ever need to create even the most professional videos. It makes syncing and multi-cam incredibly easy.
Thanks Doug. This is what I will get. I like professional AND easy. Thanks

God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 02-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

The syncing is easy, but there is a learning curve to Final Cut. Not terribly hard, but it's a fully pro-quality program with lots of features.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:06 AM

Quote:
The syncing is easy, but there is a learning curve to Final Cut. Not terribly hard, but it's a fully pro-quality program with lots of features.
Ok Doug......I got the trial version of Final Cut Pro X for 30 days, & I decided to take a shot at my Credit Law Solutions Introduction video with it. LINK BELOW

Took me about 4 hours......

I did write the "The Credit Law Jingle" that you will hear on this (Recorded on TASCAM DP 24)....So technically this is a music video....well sort of.....Didn't use my Studio Mic or sync on this one in my speaking as I just wanted to get something down....

I think this is extremely usable and will begin to email potential clients the YOUTUBE link in an attempt to introduce myself & our Company to them & improve my closing ratio of prospective clients....If they see my face it may make a huge difference as all my business is over the phone.

Oh....It's also the debut of "The Credit Law Jingle"..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbBo7fC-nt0

God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 02-21-2017, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Your video seems to be private, so the link doesn't work, but it sounds like you figured out how to use FCP quickly! Hope it works for what you need.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Your video seems to be private, so the link doesn't work, but it sounds like you figured out how to use FCP quickly! Hope it works for what you need.
I fixed it.......sorry...And I'm still a hack!!!

God, My Guitar, & Me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD