The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-11-2016, 10:34 PM

Default Seeking some help on deciding about two flamenco guitars...

(I also posted this in the general forum.)
Hi...
I am retired now and to keep my mind sharp took a semester course of classical guitar lessons at a local college. It was fun and I liked it so am still practicing, off and on, but now have a need for some help. I live in San Pedro, CA. and am looking for someone to help me decide on two guitars that I have...which should I keep, and which should I sell. As I said I am practicing classical guitar...and my dilemma is that I picked up two flamenco guitars. I don't play flamenco but got them in the hopes that after I get a bit better with a classical nylon stringed guitar that I could start taking flamenco lessons. I was hoping for suggestions how to have a knowledgeable person in my area try them and tell me which I should keep. I was in another guitar forum and I do have someone who was kind enough to volunteer his time, but he's about an hour and a half south of me. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Thanks, Gerry
Old 03-12-2016, 01:53 AM

Maybe you could give some details about those guitars? Make, model, etc?
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 03-12-2016, 02:36 AM

Sure........but that may mislead a pure testing of each. One is a Yamaha CG171SF...solid top, all the rest is laminate. The other is a Lucida LG797...all solid.
The Yamaha has solid spruce top, cypress back and sides. It sounds deeper, a bit louder and better balanced where each string plays at the same level.
The Lucida is Solid Spruce top, Solid Cypress back and sides, Ebony fingerboard, it's lighter than the Yamaha and hasn't been played at all till I got it a week ago...some say spruce needs to be played to open up. It seems quieter than the Yamaha which has been played a lot more. It's not as deep in sound...a bit higher and maybe weaker?
But I don't play flamenco style so I'm not the best judge for these two. I only play classical pieces on them.
It would be neat to hand each in turn to an experienced flamenco player who wouldn't know what he/she had in their hand...not to look at each...just to play and give their impressions. In the real world I am sure they would see what they were handed, tune each then test and give me their thoughts.
I believe from this info one would say keep the all solid more expensive flamenco guitar.

Last edited by gclef51; 03-12-2016 at 02:59 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:09 AM

Does the flamenco style appeal to you more than the out-and-out classical stuff? If not, why not sell them both and buy yourself a half-decent classical guitar. If you do feel the urge to play flamenco, though, you'll be competing with stamping feet and castanets so you'll need something loud. And high to cut through all the shouting and Ole's!
Old 03-12-2016, 07:17 AM

Hi, If you intend to keep one of the ones you have, I would definitely keep the Yamaha.
It is a better quality guitar than the Lucida. Just my two cents worth, Regards
Norman2
PS: Remember that you can play Flamenco on a regular Classical Guitar
Old 03-12-2016, 03:28 PM

Based on my limited knowledge, the flamenco guitar should have lower action with some acceptable buzz, good volume, but not as much mellowness and sustain as a classical guitar. I have a $500 Cordoba F7 flamenco type guitar that seems to have fairly nice classical sound and has had action lowered more for better flamenco playability. I would guess that learning to play classical on a decent flamenco guitar and later switching to learning flamenco guitar would be acceptable.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclef51 View Post
(I also posted this in the general forum.)
Hi...
I am retired now and to keep my mind sharp took a semester course of classical guitar lessons at a local college. It was fun and I liked it so am still practicing, off and on, but now have a need for some help. I live in San Pedro, CA. and am looking for someone to help me decide on two guitars that I have...which should I keep, and which should I sell. As I said I am practicing classical guitar...and my dilemma is that I picked up two flamenco guitars. I don't play flamenco but got them in the hopes that after I get a bit better with a classical nylon stringed guitar that I could start taking flamenco lessons. I was hoping for suggestions how to have a knowledgeable person in my area try them and tell me which I should keep. I was in another guitar forum and I do have someone who was kind enough to volunteer his time, but he's about an hour and a half south of me. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Thanks, Gerry
Hi! You already have some interesting answers, but if you don't want to sell both flamenco guitars and buy a better classical; keep the one that you think is more "classical"; probably the one with more sustain and a warmer sound.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:07 PM

Thanks to all for the good advise. To answer some questions...

"why not sell them both and buy yourself a half-decent classical guitar."
I already have two nice classicals...maybe three. I have GAS and have acquired a few...sold a few also. I now have a C132S Takamine...a Pavan TP-30...and a Cordoba 32E. So I don't necessarily need a flamenco that can also sound more like a classical guitar.
I don't know how to play flamenco style and I wanted someone who does that could give me some input on which may have the better flamenco sound. As I try each with my classical style of playing I see the Lucida is quite a bit brighter. Also at this time I am not going to take any flamenco lessons till I get a bit better at classical style playing...I'm still quite a beginner and think I need a better foundation.

Norman said..."I would definitely keep the Yamaha. It is a better quality guitar than the Lucida."
Maybe not...as the Lucida was about twice the price when new and is all solid.
Most probably will keep both as the Yamaha would sell quickly at a later date ... the Lucida Picado is more expensive, all solid and a much lighter guitar.
I have acquired all my guitars used as the market out here in Los Angeles can be quite good.
Thanks again for all your input...it's greatly appreciated.
Gerry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical