The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-02-2014, 07:54 PM

Default Best way to learn notes on the fingerboard?

Is there any system to memorize the notes on the fingerboard in an easier way? I'm thinking of learning each natural note all over the fingeroard first. Is that a good idea?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:28 PM

if you combine learning raw notes with scale patterns you will kill two birds... the notes and patterns repeat as octaves and boxes which will remove some of the randomness and give you some purpose. It is all good to know, find a way to enjoy it and stick with it. good luck!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse777 View Post
Is there any system to memorize the notes on the fingerboard in an easier way? I'm thinking of learning each natural note all over the fingeroard first. Is that a good idea?
Try to say the notes out loud as you play them. It helped me, as did focusing on open position first, then moving up the neck a bit at a time.

Justinguitar has an exercise where you play the same note on each string, over and over.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:48 PM

You might want to check out it this thread too:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=307594

My assorted assembly of aural "art"
Old 05-03-2014, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwvt View Post
if you combine learning raw notes with scale patterns you will kill two birds... the notes and patterns repeat as octaves and boxes which will remove some of the randomness and give you some purpose. It is all good to know, find a way to enjoy it and stick with it. good luck!
I'd recommend chord shapes before scale patterns. (Much as in Fruitloop's thread linked above.)
Chord shapes (or triad arpeggios) are simpler, more recognisable shapes on the fretboard, and scale patterns can come in later as ways of filling in the missing notes.
That's a good musical foundation too, because improvisation generally begins from chords, not scales.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:29 AM

Check this method out...

The PDF that goes along with the video is here --> How To Learn The Notes On The Fretboard
Old 05-03-2014, 08:27 AM

well you could be old fashioned and get yourself a "berklee modern approach" method book . Learn to read and play in all positions on the neck of the guitar. I know.. a foreign concept nowadays, may take a little more time, but the pay off is far greater than one would imagine
Old 05-03-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
There is another, perhaps simpler, way of doing this without trying to learn at all. It involves knowing one simple rule and the names of the open strings.

The rule is;

Two frets between notes with two exceptions. E to F and B to C are one fret apart only.

Dont try to learn 72 note position names. When you need to know a note name, count up from the nut. Do that enough and you will remember them without trying.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi ih777...

I have students start by memorizing the names of notes on the dots of a string each lesson (and the 1st and 6th strings have a 2-for-the-price-of-1 special going).

I start with the E string(s), then the A, then we fill in the blanks (in-between-notes).

After they memorized the dots on the E, then we add the dots on the 5th string while filling in the in-between notes on the E.

Then we move to the 4th (D), and then G (3rd). Lastly the 2nd string.

So over 5-6 weeks (depending on how diligently they work at it) students are working on memorizing dots of a string &/or in-between notes of a second string.

I'm sure there are other rote memorization methods, and other 'systematic' approaches. None are 'fun,' but whichever you choose and follow (or make up) can serve you well for the rest of your playing days.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-03-2014, 09:18 AM

Maybe just concentrate on learning the positions for the keys the music you like generally uses. Let your knowledge expand with the music.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:17 PM

My practical knowledge of the fretboard gets a little hazy after the fifth fret on the bottom four strings. However, one thing I've found useful is to learn classical pieces (presuming you can play fingerstyle) from a musical score without using a tab. This forces me to find an Eb, an F, or whatever, up the neck on the lower strings.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:05 PM

What helped me was reading sheet music. It could be more complicated that way but it is killing two birds with one stone too.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi ih777...

I have students start by memorizing the names of notes on the dots of a string each lesson (and the 1st and 6th strings have a 2-for-the-price-of-1 special going).

I start with the E string(s), then the A, then we fill in the blanks (in-between-notes).

After they memorized the dots on the E, then we add the dots on the 5th string while filling in the in-between notes on the E.

Then we move to the 4th (D), and then G (3rd). Lastly the 2nd string.

So over 5-6 weeks (depending on how diligently they work at it) students are working on memorizing dots of a string &/or in-between notes of a second string.

I'm sure there are other rote memorization methods, and other 'systematic' approaches. None are 'fun,' but whichever you choose and follow (or make up) can serve you well for the rest of your playing days.

I think this is a brilliant idea and I will start doing this with my students right away. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertR213 View Post
What helped me was reading sheet music. It could be more complicated that way but it is killing two birds with one stone too.
Thais right.That's the way i learn it.
You learn the notes by playing music.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertR213 View Post

plus 2 on that one.

We all learn to reading, by reading. So in theory we can all learn to read notes... by note reading, pretty straight forward, and then you really do understand it as well.
As an example, start with easy melodies (most pop songs), play in the open position on the fretboard. Then move up into your fifth position and play the same notes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write