The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 PM

Default NGD La Patrie 'Motif'

Due to some serious downsizing, I needed a small guitar for our new tiny living area. I've always had a gutiar or two on stands to grab and play when the muse stuck. So, the search started for a small bodied guitar to fill that need.

I picked up a sweet Recording king ROS-06, but even with the 000 body, it was a bit too big to keep on a stand. Started looking for an AMI or something similar...(really wanted steel strings) and had a line on several, but just missed.

The opportunity to procure a La Patrie Motif presented itself and the idea of a nylon string parlor (been years since I last had a classical) soon took hold.

Anyway, picked it up this morning and it is sweet. This little beaut (well, it's actually pretty plain looks wise) is so alive for it's size, it's a very pleasent surprise. I've only had about 10 minutes to spend with it so far, but I have a feeling I'm really going to bond with it. Great little guitar for very little dollars. Me like!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 PM

congrats, where are the pics ???????

Dave
Old 01-16-2012, 08:03 PM

Default love the nylon parlors!

Congrats, and great little nylon parlor. I had one of these several years ago and have been wanting another. It's either this or the Ami Nylon. Can you please confirm the nut width? I remember years ago these had the narrower 1 3/4" nut and then 1 7/8". The web site reads that these (both the Motif and Ami Nylon) are now 2" nut width. Agreed - we want pics!!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:05 PM

Why, oh why I sold mine I'll never know ... Yes, it's a great little guitar, isn't it? I got mine online from MF, and when I first took it out of the box, I thought, "Mmm, this is a bit small ..." But the sound completely belies its size, doesn't it? Really nice across all the strings. Enjoy!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
Congrats, and great little nylon parlor. I had one of these several years ago and have been wanting another. It's either this or the Ami Nylon. Can you please confirm the nut width? I remember years ago these had the narrower 1 3/4" nut and then 1 7/8". The web site reads that these (both the Motif and Ami Nylon) are now 2" nut width. Agreed - we want pics!!
I seem to remember it's slightly wider than 2".
Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Poppa. These have sounded like larger guitars, and with a nice sound, in the couple of the sound clips I've heard.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 01-17-2012, 04:10 PM

Thanks guys.....I had a few hours early this morning to spend with it and man, what a nice instrument. Great tone for such a small body and the playability is just wonderful.

Pics to follow and I'll measure the nut width. Not sure what year this one is....I'm assuming it's several years old, but it's in very nice condition. I know the cedar top will have some 'love scars' soon though! I had a little S6 Folk some time back and it didn't take long for the top to become 'relic'd'!!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:12 PM

Congrats! La Patrie makes some great guitars. Built in Quebec.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:06 AM

Default 'relic'd' top solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Thanks guys.....I had a few hours early this morning to spend with it and man, what a nice instrument. Great tone for such a small body and the playability is just wonderful.

Pics to follow and I'll measure the nut width. Not sure what year this one is....I'm assuming it's several years old, but it's in very nice condition. I know the cedar top will have some 'love scars' soon though! I had a little S6 Folk some time back and it didn't take long for the top to become 'relic'd'!!
i have two art & lutherie amis...both cedar...nylon & steel...i mostly play with a pick so i made lightweight pickguards for both

http://www.flatpickerhangout.com/photo/33994

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical