The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-30-2010, 11:15 PM

Default Tips for singing with a deep voice.

Hey guys,
I am blessed with an excessevely deep and low voice. I can sing, the trick is making it sound good. I can't justify singing anything besides Johnny Cash with this kind of voice. Singing things like the Decemberists, one of my favorite bands, come out sounding big and baboonish, but at least it's in tune. Anyone got any tips on singing with a bass voice like mine?
Thanks,
Christian

Takamine EG345C 12 string
Takamine Martin copy D-28

Squier Strat
Squier Fretless Jazz Bass
Old 10-31-2010, 05:58 AM

I have a friend who has such a voice and it is excellent when he uses it. Unfortunately, he insists on singing op out of his range and ends up screeching.

The only advice I have is to embrace the voice that you have and use it well. Transpose the songs you want to sing into keys that allow you to sing in your range. Rework those songs and make them yours. In a field in which it is tough to be unique, you've been handed a gift. Use it wisely.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:14 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm a baritone, so I'm in there with you. Perhaps I can empathize by way of humor: I love how Leo Kottke describes his own deep voice: "Like geese farts on a muggy day." You have an opportunity to be quite a bit different from the usual tenor squeakers. Don't apologize and do look for ways to make your voice work for you. Now I'll just work on taking my own advice...

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-31-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplugged 2010 View Post
Hey guys,
I am blessed with an excessevely deep and low voice. I can sing, the trick is making it sound good. I can't justify singing anything besides Johnny Cash with this kind of voice. Singing things like the Decemberists, one of my favorite bands, come out sounding big and baboonish, but at least it's in tune. Anyone got any tips on singing with a bass voice like mine?
Thanks,
Christian
Any chance of posting a soundclip?
Old 10-31-2010, 10:34 AM

Hey I'm in the same boat, I have been told many times that Baritones and Basses have more "head voice" accessible.

Having a thicker low end means it won't thin out as much as you go up, you just have to learn to use resonances, strengthen your whole voice.

The modern vocalist website is a good reference and the forum there is great.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 11-01-2010, 06:47 AM

As Rick Jones mentioned, there is such a thing as head voice (also called head tone). When a singer is able to utilize their head tone, it does several things, including:

1. Allows singer to utilize the upper reaches of their natural range.
2. Improves consistency of tone over entire range.
3. Adds focus to the sound of the voice.

The unfortunate part of this is that it is unusual for people to learn how to use head tone without training. I would highly recommend looking into voice lessons or some kind of voice class (perhaps at a local college/community college). You will be amazed with what it can do for you.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:06 PM

I can identify with the way you describe your voice. My highest note is middle C and my lowest note is G two octaves below middle C.

I embrace the way that God made me. I transpose songs and lead worship in a men’s prison where they too have a lower vocal range.

I have often thought of trying out a baritone guitar.

Peace,
Rip
Old 11-02-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,
Thanks,
Christian
Sing Brad roberts songs then! (Crash test dummies)
Old 07-13-2014, 04:19 PM

The first is that singing effectively doesn't always mean singing louder. You may see this in amateurs, that they push their voice and raise the pitch thinking this is going to project the singing or make it sound better. The sound instead just becomes screechy and pitchy. When learning to effectively sing you need to sing from your entire body; the back muscles, the diaphragm, and the entire voice box are involved. Control is the key; you need to control your voice, the pitch, and the tone in order for it to sound better. This means not just singing "more" but controlling the vibrations that begin in the throat for a deeper, richer sound.

Here's a video to help you sing better:

Music Classes Online
Old 07-13-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,
I am blessed with an excessevely deep and low voice. I can sing, the trick is making it sound good. I can't justify singing anything besides Johnny Cash with this kind of voice.
Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits?
Old 07-13-2014, 04:35 PM

I'm in your predicament. I sing Bass II in a standard choir so I know your pain, especially when it seems as most non-classical music is made for higher voices (tenors for men and sopranos for women).

All I'll say is the capo is your best friend. Take a song and find a key you can sing it comfortably in. Sometimes this actually means transposing UP keys and transposing the melody down a full octave from there. Others you can take the original key and transpose down a full octave, or otherwise you might just need to go down a couple of steps.

No need in trying to sing out of your natural range. That does more harm than good.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:10 PM

Another deeper voiced singer here - I span from around middle C down to around a guitar's low E. Try some Muddy Waters too; we can get that blues growl going more easily.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Two words.....Don Williams.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ply View Post

I have often thought of trying out a baritone guitar.

Peace,
Rip

This was absolutely the answer for me. Before there were very few songs I was comfortable singing, since getting a baritone it's a whole new world. I've got dozens of songs I'm happy to sing now. Plus all those songs you've played hundreds of times suddenly sound fresh and new again in such different keys. I love my baritone and I am never going back to a regular guitar. It's a shame that hardly any stores stock them, even if they just had one for people to try out I know they would catch on and become popular. As is most players don't even know they exist and if they do they have to order one without having played one and hope.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write