The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-04-2016, 08:04 PM

Idunno, subtleties...I just don't hear sublties in most tit-for-tat resos. Single cone wood reso will sound like the aforementioned in most cases, most brands including Nat., with little variance, in the hands of a player. Where my radar IS tuned in most instruments is how they feel. Cones help, sure. I've played some 14 fret to body knock-offs that played decent but sounded stuffed with cotton, but you'd never find that in a Republic. Not sure what cones some of those 150$ ones are using, but it's certainly nothing you'd find in the popular crop of Chinese like Republic or Messer.

I'm sure my ears are tin after all the years of abuse, so my angle is basically in the playability and balance, and these really do stack up in these "higher end " Chinese resos.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post

I'm sure my ears are tin after all the years of abuse, so my angle is basically in the playability and balance, and these really do stack up in these "higher end " Chinese resos.
Well, if all that matters is feel, you're lucky. You can save a lot on guitars
Old 06-05-2016, 04:39 AM

Usually the two go hand in hand, but you got that right. I've had a few customs, couple of "boutique" pieces, and like everyone here, play whatever expensive guitar is hanging on the store wall, and the sounds were great, just not earth-shatteringly great. Some brands with lower ends, like Martin, a difference is heard in those, but how they feel is different as well. I think after you hit a certain price point, THEN I'm not too good a subtleties and nuance.

Probably a psychological defense mechanism...

Last edited by Neal; 06-05-2016 at 04:46 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Has anyone looked inside a '30s National? Probably a little closer to inside a Republic. Feel free to school me, .
Yes, I have looked at the insides of a few late 20's and early 30's Nationals and they were built very nice, the neck sticks and support posts were made from quality wood, the metals and construction were higher quality, and the neck sets were good, this is far from the case of Republic. Let's see if these newer republics will around in 80-85 years like the old Nationals. On the other I feel my modern Nationals will stand the test of time.

check out this quote from the forum member Guitarrelic from 2012.

Angry Chinese junk by 'Republic': I made the MISTAKE of buying one of these boat-anchors awhile back...Brass-plated body, single cone/biscuit bridge 14 fret slot-head (I'm a fool for a slot head)
Anyhoo...after playing it for awhile, I noticed that the neck, would 'move' slightly,s2s, if pulled on a bit. Being the kind that will not leave well enough alone, I pulled the flying saucer off and that's where the atrocities began to be revealed. #1: f/glass tape under the edge/seat of the cone #2: neck-stick attached to neck block/heel with less than el-cheapo **** metal brackets. #3: plywood(?) scrap shims under the sound posts #4:end of neck-stik cut off at 45% angle just short of the sound well lip and a piece scabbed on to make the contact with the lip #5: no contact/'connection with so-called end block ( more garb/ply-wood?) by the neck stick #6: big chips ripped outa the inside string post holes ( I shoulda seen that). THEN, I had to get up close and personal with the shop that shall remain anonymous that sold me this P.O.S. to get something back outa the deal! Caveat Emptor in EDMNTN AB. This error will not be repeated by me, at least!

Funny thing, when I first met Don Young I asked him what he thought of the cheap asian knock-off resos. I can't remember his exact words, but the gist was, that he was glad they were around. He felt that they were good entry level instruments, that would perhaps inspire people to play reso, but that many serious reso fans, after a while playing a cheaper reso, would be attracted to a better made and better sounding instrument, and that was his customer. I was impressed with his polite answer.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 06-05-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:35 PM

Also I mentioned earlier that I had a friend that was offered a dealership of some republic resos. This friend of mine also has sold some vintage Nationals through his vintage guitar business. So he knew what to listen for, and believe me, he has a golden set of ears! And, along with that, I brought a few Nationals over for him to compare to the Republics that he was demoing. After a short while he decided that he wouldn't consider selling the Republics. He, along with I, just came to the decision that when looking for a lower priced Reso, it was better all the way around to look for a used National. Which at the time were going for really reasonable prices (2007-8). You could find a used Duolian for around $800 to $1000. In the last two years I've found a few resos for friends in the same price ball park.

Can you make music on a cheap reso? I can, hell I've made music on cheapass cigar box guitars, and 1 string broom handle diddley bows. But for resos, I quickly gravitated and stayed with Nationals.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
it was better all the way around to look for a used National. Which at the time were going for really reasonable prices (2007-8). You could find a used Duolian for around $800 to $1000. In the last two years I've found a few resos for friends in the same price ball park.
2 years or so ago I scored a Style N for $850. With a K&K biscuit pickup on it. Plating wasn't perfect, but no pitting. Just some clouding. And personally my theory is that if you show me a perfectly gleaming National, I'll show you a guitar that doesn't get played.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post

check out this quote from the forum member Guitarrelic from 2012.

[".......]

Funny thing, when I first met Don Young I asked him what he thought of the cheap asian knock-off resos. I can't remember his exact words, but the gist was, that he was glad they were around. He felt that they were good entry level instruments, that would perhaps inspire people to play reso, but that many serious reso fans, after a while playing a cheaper reso, would be attracted to a better made and better sounding instrument, and that was his customer. I was impressed with his polite answer.
Don Young wasn't being disingenuous in that statement. On the first quote from the angry guy, it's always been difficult for me to take such vehemence seriously, kinda like reading those all cap posts in your Facebook feed, y'know? Not saying he's being untruthful or has an agenda, but I suspect it's a bit between sweet-as-pie and they-killed-my-granny.

Please don't get the impression I'm saying they're every bit as good as a National, I do have 3, but they are certainly serviceable, and as the vid and some players will attest regarding the Messer, Hot Rod, and Republic, entirely appropriate in many professional settings and skill levels.

'Sall I'm sayin'
Old 06-05-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
2 years or so ago I scored a Style N for $850. With a K&K biscuit pickup on it. Plating wasn't perfect, but no pitting. Just some clouding. And personally my theory is that if you show me a perfectly gleaming National, I'll show you a guitar that doesn't get played.
Yep my Triolian was dinged up in a few gigs And most Style Os and Ns cloud up under the upper bout. The only one of my Nationals that I baby is the spider cone Western D as it was a gift from my girlfriend. And I rarely gig with it because I generally play music that requires a bluesier tone, and a quicker attack than a spider cone reso.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Has anyone looked inside a '30s National? Probably a little closer to inside a Republic. Feel free to school me, .
I have two 1930s National guitars, a 1920s National guitar, and a 1930s National mandolin. The import resonator guitars manufactured today do not really compare favorably to well-maintained vintage Nationals, neither in sound nor quality of materials and workmanship.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
...the first quote from the angry guy, it's always been difficult for me to take such vehemence seriously, kinda like reading those all cap posts in your Facebook feed, y'know? Not saying he's being untruthful or has an agenda, but I suspect it's a bit between sweet-as-pie and they-killed-my-granny.
I'm pretty much the same way as you are regarding the hyperbole he seemed to spew but his statement about the guts of those guitars is in line with what I personally saw in the few I looked at.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone Head View Post
I have two 1930s National guitars, a 1920s National guitar, and a 1930s National mandolin. The import resonator guitars manufactured today do not really compare favorably to well-maintained vintage Nationals, neither in sound nor quality of materials and workmanship.
Another eye witness, and modern Nationals look like the insides of vintage Nationals, just less dusty

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments