The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-15-2014, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Hi gr8tnezz…

Glad it's getting better!!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-15-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tnezz View Post
Well I'm going to keep learning the open chords. I'll play the ones I know for fun

A/E/D/G/C/Am/Dm/Em

And practice three new ones

C7/B7/G7

Once I get these three new chords down, I'll move them into the fun catagory and pick some more open chords.
That's about all there is for open chords - other than 7th versions (and other embellishments) of the others.

To begin with, I suggest practising B7 in the keys of E major and E minor (or at least preceding E or Em chords, in whatever key), just to hear the effect of the V-I "cadence".

Likewise, use G7 before a C chord, just to hear how the tension in the chord is resolved (classically).

A7 and D7 are likewise useful before D and G respectively.

In blues, 7th chords can be used much more freely. Eg, classically C7 belongs in the key of F (not an easy guitar key!), but it's common as a blues chord in the keys of G and C.
So in a blues in E, you can use E7, A7 and B7, all together.
Quote:
I'll find some songs that can be played with the chords I know and strum them to keep it fun for me.

Once I know all the "Cowboy Chords"

I'll move on to power chords or barre chords. I guess that will take me awhile.
You guess right! .
Barre chords will be your next big hurdle. Don't expect to conquer them quickly - everyone has trouble getting hold of those to begin with.
But the more time you spend practising your cowboy chords, the more fit your hand will be for tackling the barres.
Quote:
What's next?

A new guitar of course!
. Well, yes, if you can afford it, and are bored with your current one.
My advice is always play the best guitar you can afford. Treat yourself. That way, (a) you will enjoy it more, because it sounds better and should be easier to play - so you will spend more time practising, and therefore get better quicker - and (b) if you do ever want to give up (Nooooo!!!), a good guitar will have held its value for resale. IOW, it's not a waste of money, it's an investment. (That's my excuse... )
Old 07-15-2014, 08:51 AM

I plan to work the other finger shapes in Jon. I guess at some point, it became a personal challenge that I wanted to conquer. Now that I feel like I am "over that hump" I will work on the other shapes too. This will be incorporated in my "play" protion of my guitar time to help keep things fun.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
That's about all there is for open chords - other than 7th versions (and other embellishments) of the others.
Hi Jon...

Those 'other embellishments' for me include 9 chords, 6 chords, 2 chords, suspended chords, minor 7th chords, minor 9 chords and diminished chords.

I sure don't think one needs to wait till they have more advanced skill sets to learn these too.

The diminished might not be considered an open chord - but it's fingering can be as 'open' as a B9 chord's.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post

To begin with, I suggest practising B7 in the keys of E major and E minor (or at least preceding E or Em chords, in whatever key), just to hear the effect of the V-I "cadence".

Likewise, use G7 before a C chord, just to hear how the tension in the chord is resolved (classically).

A7 and D7 are likewise useful before D and G respectively.

In blues, 7th chords can be used much more freely. Eg, classically C7 belongs in the key of F (not an easy guitar key!), but it's common as a blues chord in the keys of G and C.
So in a blues in E, you can use E7, A7 and B7, all together.
Ummm..

That sounds like some very good advice. It will take me awhile to understand all of that. I'm guessing you are suggesting using a capo to play these chords in different keys. I don't think I'm quite there yet but I will come back to your post because I want to be able to comprehend what you just said and apply it when I get better.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Ummm..

That sounds like some very good advice. It will take me awhile to understand all of that. I'm guessing you are suggesting using a capo to play these chords in different keys.
Not at all. All open cowboy chords.
B7 > E or Em
G7 > C
D7 > G
A7 > D or Dm
E7 > A or Am

All playable with easy open position shapes.
Eg:
G7 > C
-1---0-
-0---1-
-0---0-
-0---2-
-2---3-
-3-----

(Look up shapes for the others if you don't know them)

This is mainly about hearing the "V7" effect, where the "7" chord creates a tension ("question") that is resolved ("answered") by the following chord. (Listen to the top 2 strings in the above shapes.)
Traditionally, that's the reason "7" chords are most often used, to prepare your ear for the next chord.

("V7" means a 7th chord whose root is the 5th (V) degree of a scale, also known as the "dominant" step. So G is the "dominant" (V) chord in the key of C; and G7 is the "dominant 7th". B is V in key of E. etc.)

Of course, you can use a capo, to let you play open shapes in more unusual keys - but normally you only do that when accommodating a singer, when open position keys don't suit their voice.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:02 PM

I did not read all the post in this thread but I will give you my suggestion.

Stop thinking about it and just do it!

I remember when I first started 10 years ago I struggled with moving from chord to chord. I would think I need to move this finger first and then move this one here and twist there and jump here and keep strumming and push down hard make sure your on the string blah blah blah... Then I thought about it I am overthinking this. Just do it, stop thinking about all that stuff and just do it. Work at it slow and steady try landing all at a time and do it

Seriously just do it
Epiphone Masterbuilt AJ-500M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write