The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

gr8tnezz,
Awesome story and thanks for sharing. I find that very inspirational. I'm kind of doing the same thing, half structured practice and half fun. I use Happy Traum's Homespun downloads, and had the pleasure of attending one of his workshops. I use Justin's youtube vids to pick up the fun songs quick, but not so much his structured lessons. Sounds like a good foundation to build on, from your description. Best wishes to you and your endeavors.....but why wait until 9???
Old 07-09-2014, 09:43 PM

That's a good question about why waiting until 9. I don't have a good answer. I figure he'll have a greater attention span around nine but I'm not really insisting on it. One thing trying to learn guitar has done for me is really appreciate music in general a lot more. Even bands or artists that I didn't care for personally, and occasionally their songs, I find myself picking the music apart and thinking.."Well I don't like that guy..but honestly..he has talent."

So one thing I have been doing is searching new artists and giving them a listen. This forum has turned me onto music I never heard of before and now fully appreciate. I have been recording shows on "AXS" television.."Guitar Center Sessions" and "Sound Off with Matt Pinfield" Guitarists come on and perform live on "Sessions" and do interviews between songs. "Sound Off" is all interview. I'm amazed at what a small world the music business can be. A lot of the artists have worked together or have been inspired by the same people. Some I never heard of. Anyway, the point of all this is it seems most of the guitar players talk about how they started playing around nine or eleven. That sounded like a good time to me. But then again I just finished watching Joe Bonomasa on "Guitar Center: Sessions." He said he started playing when he was four! That guy can shred for sure! Chatty fellow too. I should be able to play some good kid songs by the time he's four so I'll play for him and see if his eyes light up. Maybe he'll be ready then and in no time be able to play like this little guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvN4XtilIA4

We went to a wedding over the weekend and the DJ played "The Scientist" by Coldplay. My brother, my niece, and a lot of others at our table liked the song. So I decided that I was going to see if I could find an easy version to learn online. Then I would learn it and surprise them all one day by performing it in front of them without warning. Low and behold I ran into this guys site and he has a lot of stuff like that, including that song!

http://learnguitarfasttips.com/

He basically does what Justin does in terms of simplifying songs.

Em/C/G/G is your basic chorus on that song. I can already do that! However, when I try to sing along my timing gets all messed up. I'm just not that coordinated with it yet. But it's fun to cut away from pushing through new chords to strum that out and break up the monotony.

As I run up to 50 years old, I don't go out and hit the bars. I don't play video games, I don't watch too much TV. Picking up guitar is the perfect solution to me. It helps me appreciate life and gives me a new way to express myself. Should I have picked up years ago? Sure. But I'm glad I picked it up now. I appreciate what a privilege it is now. And I'm hooked!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

As I run up to 50 years old, I don't go out and hit the bars. I don't play video games, I don't watch too much TV. Picking up guitar is the perfect solution to me. It helps me appreciate life and gives me a new way to express myself. Should I have picked up years ago? Sure. But I'm glad I picked it up now. I appreciate what a privilege it is now. And I'm hooked![/QUOTE]

Amen to that!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write