The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-12-2017, 09:35 PM

Default NPAD: HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i

Hi folks,

My name is Dave and I have an amplification problem. Over the years, I’ve had large 15” speaker cabinet systems with powered mixers, and more recently, really small systems like the Mackie FreePlay.

I don’t perform with my own amplification that much any more. Most of the time I am playing through a house system, or another performer’s system. In the winter, I play as part of a charity rock band and will do a few performances.

Recently, I have been providing the music for charity/benefit dinners. This is essentially, 50-100 people in a church basement enjoying folk music while eating food prepared by volunteers. The Mackie FreePlay, with the mini speaker stand, is simply perfect for these events. I can even run on battery if there isn’t an outlet close by.

However, I also do folk shows in support of social justice movements for up to 200 people. I do a large repertoire of Seeger/Guthrie/Dylan, etc. For this purpose, I auditioned a variety of speakers and mixers and didn’t find exactly what I was looking for. I came very close with the Mackie Reach, but the gain staging on the mixer was problematic when playing with other players. Nevertheless, that unit had 4 combo inputs and a digital mixer with effects.

So, I decided to unload my equipment and start over, looking for something light, compact, good sounding, and with at least 4 combo inputs. I looked at a number of units including the new JBL Eon One Pro, which I held out high hopes for. Unfortunately, early reviews indicated it might not be for me.

On advice of my friend Cuki on the forum, and based on international reviews he shared with me, I started thinking the new HK Lucas Nano 608i might fit the bill. I’ve waited about 6 months for more reviews, and made up my mind to put it on my short list. Then, a demo model became available at a fantastic price. So, I am now the proud owner of the HK Lucas Nano 608i.

I have only had a chance to set this up at home. So, I have no experience with this at a gig.

The Good:

This seems to be a very good unit for under 200 people. In the house, it got LOUD. I think above 200 people you will need two of them. They now make a cheaper version without the mixer as the companion for those situations.

The sound quality is very good, clean, crisp, and wide. Plenty of bass for the kind of stuff we do. Maybe not what you would want as a DJ, unless you were using two of them.

The physical mixer controls on the unit are rather brilliant. While you need an iPad to get the full features of the mixer, you can do most of what you need to get up and running from the front panel.

The iPad app is one of the easier mixer apps I’ve used int he last year. Easy to understand and without extra stuff you don’t need.

The unit is physically well built and sturdy. While it is their lowest cost line of equipment, it still appears to be road ready.

The one knob EQ curves (contours) are simply great. There are 6 styles available for each channel, plus a flat setting. These curves were well engineered and they pretty much hit the ball out of the park, from my perspective. Turn one knob and you’re getting a 4 band parametric EQ curve that anticipates what you need. For instance, I use the TC Play Acoustic Pedal for vocal and guitar processing. However, the respective EQ curves, reverb, filters, and compression in this unit are good enough that I might not need that pedal in the future. Wow!

It’s very compact, the satellites pack into the subwoofer, and it’s not too heavy.

The Not So Good:

They should sell the unit with the S-connect pole rather than charging $150 for this very important accessory. The S-connect pole takes advantage of the built in hardwiring in the connectors and eliminates the need for cables to connect the satellites. Also, the Bag appears to be $180. Sheesh. Too expensive for a wheeled bag, I think.

I’ll keep this updated with information as I get to put it through it’s paces. But, so far, this exhibits none of the gain staging issues of the JBL and Mackie products. It’s light, full featured, and has enough power for anything I intend to do with it. Could it be a winner?

Tune in for future posts. :-)

Last edited by martingitdave; 11-12-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Looking forward o your review, you're always very informative.

Lots to like on paper but a couple notes. One, if it still only has an iPad app, how lame is that. Though to be honest I'm not a big fan of buying a system where you need another piece of (lose-able, damageable and dead-battery-able) equipment to exploit its full potential. Plus enough with the menus already

Second, I guess those are two, little stereo-capable units on top? You sure seem happy with initial results, but it seems to be asking a lot of performance from those small boxes. I guess they can be separated with two stands and cables etc.---seems like a little more hassle than we're used to with some of these systems.

Can't wait to learn how it does at its first gig!
Old 11-12-2017, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the input Chris. The Mackie app has the advantage of being available for many tablets and phones. The HK app only works on the iPad. And, there is a glitch that causes the mixer to disconnect when streaming from the device. So, I think their implementation needs some work. Nonetheless, the actual mixer interface is easy to use. The only features you can’t use from the physical controls are compression and filters (low cut). But, you can save the scene. So, if you wanted to do a gig without the iPad, you can set those two parameters before you leave and adjust gain, EQ, and reverb from the physical controls. Likely, that’s what I will do. My Aura system has compression built in, and the mics only need a little bit. The speakers in the satellites are 4.5” customized celestion speakers, plus a 1” and multi transformer for the highs. High tech stuff. It’s also why it sounds even. Most of the column/tower units use 2-3” speakers which are not as useful for mids, and they tend to exhibit a mid hole. That’s one of the reasons I liked the Mackie Reach. The driver configuration was very smart and the frequency response was almost perfectly even.

Last edited by martingitdave; 11-12-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:47 AM

Default HK nano 305FX and 605FX

Congratulation Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The only features you can’t use from the physical controls are compression and filters (low cut).
Let me complete: In expert mode you have full parametrics, and full access to compression parameters. In easy mode, you get standard 4 bands EQ and One knoc compressor.

Not that they just released the 605FX that replaces the 600 featuring Lo and Hi EQ instead of "smart" tone, bluetooth... The 305FX replaces the 300 and has phantom power.

Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 11-14-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:38 PM

Cuki, I like the idea of 605FX unit as long as the input selector does some shaping of the mids. Or, perhaps they did a smart parametric hi and low adjustment. I think folks in the market place failed to realize that the smart EQ was actually more powerful then a conventional 2 or 3 band EQ.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:45 PM

Dave...
I think you know that I am using the HK Lucas Nano 300 for all my local gigs now and I love it. The sound could be a bit better but then my standards are pretty high. I find that it does a great job of replicating the tone put into it. The size and weight are such a relief too. I also still have the LD Systems Dave8, a superior piece of gear with a much larger sub that houses the electronics too like the other systems do. I would sell this if I had the chance because I decided its too heavy for me to lug around as often as I gig locally in the summer months. In the winter I play on cruise ships full time and use their very superb system on board.
Glad you got the HK system that you did. I hope you like it and use it a lot like I do. I sure love having the satellite speakers that can be on poles or not. The limited eq on the system is inadequate so I use outboard stuff for that for both guitar and vocals though my vocal needs very little eq. But the guitar has to sound awesome and I do use my archtop as well as my Lowden and others every gig.
So enjoy the new HK and I love reading your back and forth with Cuki. He has been a big help to me as well as yourself when I was deciding to get the HK Nano 300. Its turned out a great decision. Thanks
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 11-13-2017, 10:27 PM

Hotroad, I was definitely thinking of you when I pulled the tigger on the 608i. I was always a bit concerned with the Dave8 because of the weight. And, I’m glad you opted for a lighter weight unit. It’s hard to lug that heavy stuff around to play acoustic music. For what I do, I also would have been OK with the 300, or the new 305FX. But, for the demo model price I paid, I decided to get all the bells and whistles. So far, I’m impressed with the little rehearsal I’ve been able to do with it. Cheers!
Old 11-13-2017, 10:46 PM

Congrats!
This HK system is amazing. You'll love it! I gigged with it a couple of times and I then decided to buy it as a Xmas present. Can't wait that long...
Old 11-14-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Hi folks,

My name is Dave and I have an amplification problem.
Could it be a winner?

Tune in for future posts. :-)
Hi Dave! (sorry couldn't resist).

Congrats on scoring the 608i... From your initial review it appears it checks many or all of your boxes.

I must admit I am intrigued.. I like the "all in one" with built-in mixer approach. One Knob EQ sounds cool too. You mentioned possible omitting the Play Acoustic?

Look forward to hearing more !
Old 11-14-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Hi Dave! (sorry couldn't resist).

Congrats on scoring the 608i... From your initial review it appears it checks many or all of your boxes.

I must admit I am intrigued.. I like the "all in one" with built-in mixer approach. One Knob EQ sounds cool too. You mentioned possible omitting the Play Acoustic?

Look forward to hearing more !

Hi Jake,

The 608i checks the boxes for me. There is a lot to like about the design and features. These day there are so many good options for a singer/guitarist. For me, the ability to plug an additional 1-2 mics, or an additional instrument, without gain issues or a mixer, was the deal sealer.

Last edited by martingitdave; 11-14-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Jake,

The 608i checks the boxes for me. There is a lot to like about the design and features. These day there are so many good options for a singer/guitarist. For me, the ability to plug an additional 1-2 mics, or an additional instrument, without gain issues or a mixer, was the deal sealer.
Based on my audition of the Lucas Nano 300 when it first came out, and my good impression of it, your Lucas Nano 608i is an even better compact and versatile system! Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-14-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Based on my audition of the Lucas Nano 300 when it first came out, and my good impression of it, your Lucas Nano 608i is an even better compact and versatile system! Enjoy!

I still think that the Line 6 product sounds great, and is louder. But, I like the versatility of this unit for my current needs. The built in mixer makes a difference when you don’t want to carry a bunch of extra equipment.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

I'm an audiophile and I'm particular about sound quality. The 608i sounds better to my ears than than comparably priced Bose and Fishman systems. All three brands make usable products but I can get a deeper thump from my Porchboard foot thumper using the Nano system as compared with other all in one systems.

The iPad mixer app works well and provides both basic and advanced controls. Lots of tone shaping power. You don't need to use pedals or other processors.

Of course the real test will be to take my Nano 608i to a gig. I'm recovering from surgery so it will be a while before I can gig. Please let us know how your 608i performs out in the trenches.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 11-14-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:38 PM

I’m still resisting dragging my Bose Tower and making due with the JBL. Sometimes it’s fine and sometimes I’m overloading it I’m experimenting now with plugging mics in direct and finding a way to cleanly boost my guitar signal for the channel 3 input. Not sure my Fishman platinum stage gives enough boost, even with the boost on. And using the XLR out is quieter than the 1/4”.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I’m still resisting dragging my Bose Tower and making due with the JBL. Sometimes it’s fine and sometimes I’m overloading it I’m experimenting now with plugging mics in direct and finding a way to cleanly boost my guitar signal for the channel 3 input. Not sure my Fishman platinum stage gives enough boost, even with the boost on. And using the XLR out is quieter than the 1/4”.

David, I'm not sure this unit would do the trick if you need more than one 10" speaker. But, they sell them in pairs for a stereo setup. That would probably give you enough power. I've noticed no limitations with the mixer or gain staging. But, there is no reason not to stick with the JBL except the gain staging. In any case, I obviously feel you pain. :-)

Last edited by martingitdave; 11-14-2017 at 02:08 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification