The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Play Acoustic/Switch 3 Glitch?

I'm hoping folks familiar with the Play Acoustic could offer some help.

I am trying out a Play Acoustic and a Switch 3.

I want to use the Switch 3 to control the looper so I have button 1 set as Rec/Play and button 2 set as Stop/Erase. I thought it would be handy to have button 3 set as a Guitar Boost so that's what I did.

I noticed that when I plug the Switch 3 into the Play Acoustic the output level drops. I tried this going Mono out and Guitar DI out.

I called TC Helicon tech support and they said that something is wrong. The Switch 3 should have no impact on the output of the Play Acoustic. They recommended that I return both and get replacements.

I received my replacements today and the same thing happened. Regardless of how I had the output configured, the output level dropped when I plugged in the Switch 3.

I tested the vocals and the Switch 3 had no impact on the output level of the vocals. Leaving everything else exactly the same, plug in the Switch 3 and the guitar level drops.

That led me to discover what seems to me like a little glitch in the Play Acoustic. It turns out the output level of my guitar is dropping by the amount I have set in the Guitar Boost. So if the Guitar Boost is set at 0 db, the output doesn't change at all. If I have the Guitar Boost set at 6 db the output drops by that much when I plug in the Switch 3. If I assign anything else to Button 3, the Switch 3 doesn't change the output level at all. So it's all in the Guitar Boost setting.

Am I missing something? Typically a boost is there to raise (boost) the guitar level. What would be the purpose of dropping the level of the guitar when I add the Switch 3, just to use the Guitar Boost to bring it back up to where it was in the first place?

Is this for the looper? So I could record a loop at a lower level and then bring the guitar back up to play over the top? It still wouldn't make any sense to set it up this way but I can't think of anything else. Unless there is something wrong.

Any thoughts?

Matt
Old 11-11-2017, 05:13 PM

OK... I just tested my Play Acoustic and Switch 6... With Headphones on.

You are 100% correct....

When I plug in guitar and set Boost to 0db there is normal volume and volume does NOT increase when I press Boost switch.

When I set the Boost to 9db it "lowers" the volume in my headphones as I am dialing it to 9... Then When I press the Boost switch it brings volume up to the original volume.

Interesting.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
OK... I just tested my Play Acoustic and Switch 6... With Headphones on.

You are 100% correct....

When I plug in guitar and set Boost to 0db there is normal volume and volume does NOT increase when I press Boost switch.

When I set the Boost to 9db it "lowers" the volume in my headphones as I am dialing it to 9... Then When I press the Boost switch it brings volume up to the original volume.

Interesting.
Thanks for checking Jake!

9db?!

Mine only goes to 6db. I might need a firmware update.

I'll post something on the TC Helicon forum too when I get back home.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:38 PM

Old 11-11-2017, 05:43 PM

Default Engaged boost when powering up

Matt, my duo partner and I both use the same setup. When you turn on the unit, if you remember to hit the boost button on and off once everything will be fine. The boost is activated when you power up, even though it doesn’t register on the TC screen.
You should update to get the +9db boost as well as the much longer loop length.
Both my partner and I have suffered frustration at gigs when the initial settings seem too loud—and then we reset the mix before realizing the boost is engaged. Still a great unit to gig with.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjoh814 View Post
Matt, my duo partner and I both use the same setup. When you turn on the unit, if you remember to hit the boost button on and off once everything will be fine. The boost is activated when you power up, even though it doesn’t register on the TC screen.
You should update to get the +9db boost as well as the much longer loop length.
Both my partner and I have suffered frustration at gigs when the initial settings seem too loud—and then we reset the mix before realizing the boost is engaged. Still a great unit to gig with.
Thanks Larry!
I did update the firmware so I now have the 9db boost.

What I am experiencing is that when I add the Switch 3 (with the boost assigned to a button) the output of my guitar then drops the amount of the boost. I then need to engage the boost to bring the guitar level back up to what it was before I plugged in the Switch 3.

It doesn't seem to matter if I power up with the Switch 3 plugged in or if I add the Switch 3 after I have powered up.

Matt

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification