The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-08-2017, 06:34 PM

Default Acoustic Guitar Amps - Henriksen Jazzamp 10

I am primarily a jazz player and although I have several guitars, I only have one amp a Henriksen Jazzamp. I grew up listening to and wanting to sound like Pat Martino, Wes Montgomery, George Benson and those guys played primarily archtops through Polytone amps or tube amps.

Flip the script and as I got older and started to play still jazz and more acoustic, I went on a search for the ultimate really jazz amp and came across the Henriksen Amp. At the time I bought it which was about 6 years ago I never even played an acoustic through it at all. I played my archtops and 335 type guitars and teles through it and it was pure jazz heaven. A couple years ago I began playing more steel string guitar and have always played some classical. I never really plugged in since I hate the processed sound of amplified acoustics. Anyway, I got a Seymour Duncan Woody and use it on my D18 from time to time through my Henriksen and I swear I get a better sound from it then I do from many purely acoustic amps that I have tried. I know the amp was voiced for archtops, upright bass and basically wood instruments but why is a guitar amp like that which is still voiced primarily for an electric instrument sound very good?

I would be curious to hear from members who own a Henriksen Amp? Also from those who own only 1 amp that they use for both their acoustic and electric guitars? I am thinking of getting the Henriksen Bud ... does anyone have experience with it and if so their thoughts?

Here is how the Henriksen Jazzamp sounds with my D18 using the Seymour Duncan Woody:
https://youtu.be/AnzlJ0eVuLY
Old 11-08-2017, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

The Martin sounds great through the amp but it doesnt sound like a Martin acoustic. Sounds more like an archtop with a magnetic pickup.

Nice playing.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
The Martin sounds great through the amp but it doesnt sound like a Martin acoustic. Sounds more like an archtop with a magnetic pickup.

Nice playing.
Maybe my ear is so wired for an archtop sound that is what the Henriksen makes the guitar sound like? For whatever reason when I plug into acoustic guitar amps I don't like the sound but maybe I have to try the right amp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantgreen42 View Post
I am primarily a jazz player and although I have several guitars, I only have one amp a Henriksen Jazzamp. I grew up listening to and wanting to sound like Pat Martino, Wes Montgomery, George Benson and those guys played primarily archtops through Polytone amps or tube amps.

Flip the script and as I got older and started to play still jazz and more acoustic, I went on a search for the ultimate really jazz amp and came across the Henriksen Amp. At the time I bought it which was about 6 years ago I never even played an acoustic through it at all. I played my archtops and 335 type guitars and teles through it and it was pure jazz heaven. A couple years ago I began playing more steel string guitar and have always played some classical. I never really plugged in since I hate the processed sound of amplified acoustics. Anyway, I got a Seymour Duncan Woody and use it on my D18 from time to time through my Henriksen and I swear I get a better sound from it then I do from many purely acoustic amps that I have tried. I know the amp was voiced for archtops, upright bass and basically wood instruments but why is a guitar amp like that which is still voiced primarily for an electric instrument sound very good?

I would be curious to hear from members who own a Henriksen Amp? Also from those who own only 1 amp that they use for both their acoustic and electric guitars? I am thinking of getting the Henriksen Bud ... does anyone have experience with it and if so their thoughts?

Here is how the Henriksen Jazzamp sounds with my D18 using the Seymour Duncan Woody:
https://youtu.be/AnzlJ0eVuLY

Sent from my SM-G955U using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
Old 11-09-2017, 07:59 PM

How is the Acoustic Amp. different from a Jazz Amp?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification