The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-31-2017, 08:13 PM

Default Early vs. Later Bourgeois Guitars

I have an opportunity to buy an older Bourgeois OM Cutaway with the Snakehead headstock. I think it might be a 1995 model. I've also noticed that the Snakehead headstock has not been used since the early days.

Aside from the aesthetics what is the general or prevailing opinion on older versus say more modern Bourgeois guitars in terms of quality and build, evolutionary changes, if any? I ask this in context of how some brands or builders have their "better" years, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by enigma; 10-31-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:15 PM

I have an '09 with one. They offered both for a long time. Carter's has a brand new Slope D with the snakehead.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:31 PM

Mine is a 95 Martin Simpson Sig. I have done a bit of background reading, and IIRC, this was his "Akai" period when he had some kind of marketing deal with said company. I'm not sure of the details, but I think he might have been struggling to keep up with demand and/or his contractual obligations. Mine is a terrific guitar, and I have never played better, but the fit and finish suggests that he was in a hurry. The finish on the front is eggshelled, and the join between the binding and side in one small part of the cutaway looks like it may have been sanded down a bit too much. OTOH, expert opinion (UMGF) suggests that the EIR in the back and sides is top quality, straight grain and quartersawn. The top is odd, it is supposed to be sitka and is also very good quality, but again expert opinion, based on pics, suggests that it might be Engelmann.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop