The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2008, 08:51 AM

Location: Though a bred, born, and imprinted Texan, I live in the sw corner of Southern Mississippi.
Default Bar Room Musicians

First, the title is for fun. I don't mean only bar rooms, but playing exclusively in public places other than religious-based ones.

I am starting to wonder if there is anyone...other than me. <g>

I played an hour-and-half concert in Austin, TX, for an apartment complex just this month, and twice a year, I go to long-weekend, guitar-get-togethers in TX...Glenn Rose and Wemberley. These are great fun and we have open mics from a stage on Sat. and Sun. nights. There are song circles all day and up to 3 a.m.

I have done four, two-hour concerts for the local library...and repeated no material.

And I visit song circles in homes and restaurants on occasion.

I used to play a lot of bars and dances...and coffee houses...but the cigarette smoke just got to be too much for me. (I quit throwing darts on a league for the same reason.)

So...do we have people here who routinely do gigs at open mics, or have sets at public places?

Ken C.
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson J-50 Mahogany
G-40 Maccaferri arch top (3 ea.)
Kay Catalina arch top w/DeArmond floating p.u.
Harmony arch top
Silvertone (Kay) flat top
Framus 12-string
Harmony tenor arch top
Gakki Yamaha FG-140
DeArmond arch top
And 14 misc.ukes.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I regularly play for 2 nursing homes. I also play regularly in song circles. I have suddenly become popular with weddings lately.
LC
Old 11-20-2008, 08:58 AM

Default Well have you ever

Hey Ken I have some Texas friends and some not so friends that go down to Pearl, Texas I believe that its the first week-end of every month, great bunch of folks that get together and play and show case theirs talents and a great way to meet folks like minded.Ship
Old 11-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

I play every Sunday night at Northside Tavern in Atlanta and have for 11 years. Also every other month Mondays at Fat Matt's Rib Shack.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

I haven't played in a bar since I was young, and that's 35 years ago. My wife and I have done music for hundreds of weddings, however.

- Glenn
Old 11-20-2008, 09:44 AM

I play twice a month in a song circle at the Walking Turtle Studio in Maple Hill Kansas. I play once a month in Auburn Ks. for the Kansas Prairie Pickers Association.
2010 Martin Custom 000-18VS
2007 Martin HD-16R LSH
1996 Fender Srat.
2010 Martin J16-12
Old 11-20-2008, 12:36 PM

I'm one who doesn't play in the church, although I am a church-going and committed Christian who is involved in several other ministries. Our church has many musicians, and many groups ... from CCMers rockin' it out, a full choir, a chorale, and classical choral groups and instrumentalists. Our music and arts programs are active and of high quality. But I don't feel "led" to participate in any of them.

I play in two duos, and with those two guys plus another we have a four-man acoustic combo. I also play solo. We are very active on the local open mic circuit (great venues in this area), which can mean 2-3 nights per week. In addition, our band is doing our first "real" gig in three weeks (a FOUR HOUR four-setter!), so we've been rehearsing twice a week. I would describe the music I/we play as "Americana". From blues to bluegrass, early country, folk, early rock. We don't out-Hank Mr. Williams or Mr. Snow; we can't out-Jerry Mr. Garcia, we can't out-Tony Mr. Rice ... but we do their music our way with our own stylings, remaining true to the spirit of the originals.

It's not "bar music", so our potential venues are more limited, but we have already developed a small following who like what we do. I'll be semi-retired in five months and hope to be able to devote some time to playing out more.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:47 PM

Ken,

I play solo at several restaurants in the North Dallas area - once or twice a month each. My current stretch between November 1st and mid-December I'm booked both nights every weekend except one - I feel very fortunate.

I consider myself a professional musician, but I don't do it for a living. I enjoy performing, and it feeds my soul when people enjoy my music. I am happy for the fellows in the other Living Room Players (and Church Players) thread, and I certainly enjoy playing with my good friends in that setting, but I thrive on "playing out". It is also important to me to be paid a respectable fee, not really for the money itself, but as a measurement and statement that I am worth something.

I usually have a few friends attend my gigs, but I also enjoy playing for people who don't know me and the challenge and reward that is part of that.

I may also expand my solo work to community festivals next year, which I have played with my band a number of times before.

Thanks for the discussion!

Mike
Old 11-20-2008, 12:51 PM

I gave up on bar music years ago.
I play songs that I like and enjoy now.

My wife and I play for civic events and assisted living homes on occasion.

I have been involved in a weekly jam/song circle for over 25 years.
This is where I do most of my playing these days.

We play Bluegrass, Country, Oldies Rock and Folk music there.

The rest of the time is spent playing for myself in my bedroom.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:53 PM
happiness

Are we including singarounds and stuff like that? If so, count me in. I play in a weekly songwriters' circle, and also the local folk club, both of which are in a pub. Thankfully, smoke isn't a problem because it's not allowed in enclosed public spaces like pubs any more.

Other places I play - my guitar and singing teachers' homes (when I have my lesssons) and occasionally in singarounds/sessions at folk festivals. I also play on the couch at home

I don't play in any churches, although I used to a long time ago.

I'm not at the stage of gigging, although I have done some in the past as part of a mandolin ensemble, but would like to get to a stage where I can do a bit of that, ideally as part of a band.

Fliss
Old 11-20-2008, 01:04 PM

I gig once or twice a month at the outdoor amphitheatre at The River shopping center in Ranco Mirage, CA. They host free live music every Saturday from 6-9pm. I'm the good looking one, with the Alvarez-Yairi DY74.

I also play electric bass in bars & clubs.

mud

"Do ya want it to be interesting, or do ya want it to be true?"

"So far, it's neither."
Old 11-20-2008, 01:33 PM

i play at seances/ghost huntings/hauntings and exhorsizims; we do alot of the greatful dead stuff.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:45 PM

Location: Though a bred, born, and imprinted Texan, I live in the sw corner of Southern Mississippi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
I regularly play for 2 nursing homes. I also play regularly in song circles. I have suddenly become popular with weddings lately.
LC
I had forgotten about nursing homes as a musical forum. Good for you! I played one once and it was the hardest gig I have ever had...for many reasons.

I guess my mind was working right but not my heart.

Ken C.
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson J-50 Mahogany
Harmony arch top
Framus 12-string
Harmony tenor arch top
Gakki Yamaha FG-140
DeArmond arch top
And 14 misc.ukes.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri.picker View Post
i play at seances/ghost huntings/hauntings and exhorsizims; we do alot of the greatful dead stuff.

I think you are joking. It is funny either way. <g>

Ken C.
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson J-50 Mahogany
Harmony arch top
Framus 12-string
Harmony tenor arch top
Gakki Yamaha FG-140
DeArmond arch top
And 14 misc.ukes.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Me

At a coffee shop open mic that a friend invited e too, I got identified as a local guitar builder by the guy behind the mic. He asked me to play something, the group started cheering. I did not bring a guitar, but the next thing I know I'm playing a song on a jumbo Takamine that has horrible action. Two more songs and I called it a night.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion