The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-13-2017, 10:24 PM

Default Installed LR Baggs Lyric Tonight

I've installed a lot of electronics in guitars over the years. I have a dread that I wanted to use live so I looked for a pickup system to install and selected the LR Baggs Lyric system. It came today and (and the point of the post) it took all of 30 minutes to install. Stupid easy. The plugged in sound is great but the ease of installation was easier than anything I've ever installed. It's far easier than glueing any transducers or anything else. Drilling the jack/transducer hole was normal. All the other pieces (battery bag, volume control, microphone all had pre installed double-stick tape and went in almost instantly.

If you're looking for an easy-to-install electronic package that weighs next-to-nothing and goes in quick and easy, look into this one.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:00 PM

LRBaggs are great. I have an Anthem SL installed on my B-25 3/4, which is basically Lyrics + Element. Sounds fantastic!
Old 11-14-2017, 03:03 AM

I've been using the Lyric for some time now. Brilliant PU for my use, although I didn't install it myself.

I also have an M1a which is even easier to put in..!

Very happy with both and always interested to hear other how others get on with those PU's.

What PA do you use...?

Last edited by TheSaint; 11-14-2017 at 03:25 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:02 AM

Default Installed LR Baggs Lyric Tonight

I installed mine in the spring and it works great. The sound quality is fantastic and it was so easy to install that even I could do it. The only tricky part was holding it still while I put the nut on. I improvised by inserting a wooden dowel into it to hold it in place while I tightened the nut. I also used the dowel to feed it through the end pin hole since my arm wouldn’t fit in the sound hole.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 11-14-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I installed mine in the spring and it works great. The sound quality is fantastic and it was so easy to install that even I could do it. The only tricky part was holding it still while I put the nut on. I improvised by inserting a wooden dowel into it to hold it in place while I tightened the nut. I also used the dowel to feed it through the end pin hole since my arm wouldn’t fit in the sound hole.
Great tip. I used an especially thin guitar cable (George L's) to fish mine through the hole but a dowel probably would work better for tightening the nut.

ManyMartinMan, I had the same experience but am far less experienced with installing acoustic pickups than you. Next guitar I buy without electronics will definitely get a Lyric.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post
..What PA do you use...?
For most events I use my rack system with powered speakers on stands. It's not a packaged PA system. Like this.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

I recently had a Lyric installed in my LoPrinzi AR-38 (rosewood dreadnought), and am frankly amazed at how good it sounds.

Despite warnings from many Lyric users here on AGF regarding EQ, the pickup needs very little EQ when sent through my Carvin AG-200 amp.

I too had a pro install done, as drilling/reaming the hole for the end-pin jack is well above my pay grade.

The Lyric is a great pickup in this guitar, for my applications. I look forward to trying it through a PA.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification