The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-06-2017, 03:43 PM

Default Schertler Acoustic Jam 150 versus the new Jam 200 ?

Hi,
anyone here who owns / owned / played these both in comparison?
Shortly I bought the new Jam... it sounds great but in my opinion I have to do more work on the settings until my Taylor Nylon NS72ce sounds natural - but I have also to say that I´m not used to handle parametric mids.
Also I had the impression that the new one is not as loud as the older Jam version.
What do you think an what are your experiences on this?
How big are the locations you played with the new one? Is ok for 100 qm?
Old 11-06-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstsign View Post
Hi,
anyone here who owns / owned / played these both in comparison?
Shortly I bought the new Jam... it sounds great but in my opinion I have to do more work on the settings until my Taylor Nylon NS72ce sounds natural - but I have also to say that I´m not used to handle parametric mids.
Also I had the impression that the new one is not as loud as the older Jam version.
What do you think an what are your experiences on this?
How big are the locations you played with the new one? Is ok for 100 qm?
I would agree it will harder to find the natural sound with the Parametric EQ, but stay with it, and start with small cuts on the gain knob while sweeping the frequency knob slow that will get you on the page fairly quick. If you can, tune the guitar to an open tuning, so that you can fingerpick with your right hand and turn knobs with your left! And before you start with the EQ adjustment, make sure to dial in the gain structure. To do that, turn the preamp gain knob (far left) until you see the red LED light flashing while your picking, and then back it up it up slightly, so that it only comes on when you hit the guitar real hard. You should see more volume from the amp that way.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:38 PM

Where can I try these in the US?
Old 11-08-2017, 02:59 PM

http://www.schertler.com/en_US/showrooms
Old 11-08-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
If you can, tune the guitar to an open tuning, so that you can fingerpick with your right hand and turn knobs with your left!
Love that tip, thanks!

Got anything for tweaking your own vocals?
Old 11-09-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Love that tip, thanks!

Got anything for tweaking your own vocals?
Nothing more than setting up in your practice area with the Schertler pointed right at you. Make it about as close as the middle of an audience would be to you at a gig, and practice listening to your vocals while playing. Listen to the mids, and make sure they are natural sounding, because there's a fine line between the mid projecting vs the mids sounding honky! This way you'll really learn what your mid/high driver is doing. Also listen to where the low end builds up, and try to cut it enough for clarity, but not so much where you lose the body of the vocal. By getting in front of your amp you hear what an audience is hearing. Then when you get it dialed in, stand next to, and slightly in front of your amp, as you would when gigging, and get that sound in your head. This way your training yourself to what it should sound like on stage while the amp is sounding good to the audience. You'll be surprised at how quick your ears learn what to listen for. And by learning this technique you can lower the volume of any monitor system on stage, which will definately be a sonic improvement. Loud monitors generally have an adverse effect of what the audience hears, because the monitor sound can bounce of of the back wall and get to the audience at a delayed time which could lead to all sorts of phase issues and bad sound.

Good luck
Old 11-12-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
will check it out, thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification