The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-03-2017, 11:30 AM

Oops......had my slide rule the wrong way round. It would be 0.5mm reduction at the 5th fret and 0.1mm reduction at the first fret.

Apologies to all.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:57 PM

Your nut action is still incredibly high unless you are playing slide. This typically causes intonation problems - especially up the neck...

Consider working on your nut action with a goal of 0.5mm 1st fret action on all strings.

In Imperial measurements - my typical go-to nut action is 0.017" E and 0.012" e with the rest of the strings in between....

Thanks
Old 11-04-2017, 11:14 PM

I never measure the action at the first fret. The correct nut height is the same as the frets. Check this by pressing the string against the second fret and look for minimal clearance over the first fret. You can also use a thin straightedge in the nut slot, extending to the second fret.
If the truss rod has an Allen socket, it is adjustable. But if the neck is already straight, you need to lower the action at the nut and saddle, not by adjusting the truss rod.
Quote:
It is probably US imperial
Not on any Korean made guitar I have seen. It is most likely 5mm, which is consistent with the OP's experience......3/16" is too loose, and 7/32" is too big to fit inside the socket.
US made Harmony's with an adjustable rod had the nut at the peghead, like a Gibson or Guild. These have a 1/4" hex nut, which require a socket to adjust.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair