The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-24-2017, 02:37 AM

Love that story.....truly a lucky turn of events. As for the build, Mark's lattice bracing and lighter construction mixed with a cedar soundboard will result in pure acoustic magic.

Curious, are you doing a walnut neck?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 09-24-2017, 02:48 AM

Cedar over Walnut seems to be an extremely good sounding combination.. I was a lucky one to play such an combination 2 weeks ago and was deeply impressed by the sound of this relative small guitar... but also the look was extraordinary.... the top got an deep sunburst finish.. and the
looked from the beginning extraordinary... and it got better and better...
so why not thinking about an sunburst finish?

Old 09-24-2017, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Love that story.....truly a lucky turn of events. As for the build, Mark's lattice bracing and lighter construction mixed with a cedar soundboard will result in pure acoustic magic.

Curious, are you doing a walnut neck?
Thanks so much for commenting, Ukejon. I'm new to a custom build. I wouldn't have thought about a walnut neck since every guitar I own has a mahogany one. Is there a functional benefit to walnut? Or is it the aesthetic?

I expect this to be a great learning experience and look forward to the journey.

Phil
Old 09-24-2017, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFaro View Post
Cedar over Walnut seems to be an extremely good sounding combination.. I was a lucky one to play such an combination 2 weeks ago and was deeply impressed by the sound of this relative small guitar... but also the look was extraordinary.... the top got an deep sunburst finish.. and the
looked from the beginning extraordinary... and it got better and better...
so why not thinking about an sunburst finish?
LaFaro,

Beautiful guitar. Unusual since the darker stained woods are on top and the lighter stained woods are the back and sides.

I have several very nice sunburst guitars. Since Mark is well known for choosing exceptional woods, I thought I would let the grain and figuring of that wood stand out and not compete with the sunburst. I do love 'bursts though!. Here's a favorite from my collection:

Old 09-25-2017, 10:36 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Just to be sure you know, my Greta did have a Walnut neck. Hard to remark on the difference between Walnut and Mahogany but the Walnut on that Greta was probably a contributor to the incredible sustain on that guitar. Mark can speak to that.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Just to be sure you know, my Greta did have a Walnut neck. Hard to remark on the difference between Walnut and Mahogany but the Walnut on that Greta was probably a contributor to the incredible sustain on that guitar. Mark can speak to that.
Thanks, Dennis. After typing my reply, I wondered if that was the case.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBluesman View Post
Thanks, Dennis. After typing my reply, I wondered if that was the case.
For cigarfans guitar neck I used some Black Walnut that was in an old wood mill that closed in 1850. The wood is exceptionally resonate and due to it's age it is also exceptionally stable. When we had our initial phone call we very briefly touched on a Walnut neck and I've put some of the last of what I have aside for you. Will it make the guitar sound better? I like to think so. I feel it adds to the sustain and it certainly is stable and the color goes well.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 09-25-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBluesman View Post
LaFaro,

Beautiful guitar. Unusual since the darker stained woods are on top and the lighter stained woods are the back and sides.

I have several very nice sunburst guitars. Since Mark is well known for choosing exceptional woods, I thought I would let the grain and figuring of that wood stand out and not compete with the sunburst. I do love 'bursts though!. Here's a favorite from my collection:

it's always a "hard decision" to decide between beautiful wood and really well done sunburst finish it seems to be the best way to have both.. so congrats to your decision...
Old 09-25-2017, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
For cigarfans guitar neck I used some Black Walnut that was in an old wood mill that closed in 1850. The wood is exceptionally resonate and due to it's age it is also exceptionally stable. When we had our initial phone call we very briefly touched on a Walnut neck and I've put some of the last of what I have aside for you. Will it make the guitar sound better? I like to think so. I feel it adds to the sustain and it certainly is stable and the color goes well.
I'm in your capable hands, Mark. Walnut neck it is.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Mark,

I failed to mention how cool I think it is to have wood from a a nearly 170 year old mill be a part of my guitar. Thank you so much for setting it aside for me. I love both the functional benefit as well as the aesthetics.

Not being one to wish time away, I AM looking forward to November.

Phil
Old 10-30-2017, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

I've exchanged a few emails with Mark about some of some of the decisions I have to make regarding my build. Here are some of the highlights
  • 1 3/4" nut
  • 2 1/4" String width at the saddle
  • Venetian cutaway
  • Arm bevel with inlay
  • Slot Head
  • Sound port
  • Stainless frets
  • Blue paua purfling on top, back, sides, fret board, back strip & rosette <whew! that's a lot of paua>

Tuners - Mark recommends Schertler tuners. I'm normally a fan of Waverlys because that's all I know. I like the idea of the 18:1 ratio. Plus, they have a more modern, if not "Darth Vader" look to them I'll most likely go with Mark's recommendation. Anyone have an opinion on the tuners?

Mark has cautioned me that things start out slowly, so I'm still sitting on my hands but I feel like a kid at Christmas.

Phil
Old 10-31-2017, 10:17 AM

Love that walnut, there, Mark
Old 09-27-2018, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Hatcher, greta

We just celebrated our 1 year together. What a remarkable build.
Thank you again, Dennis.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Mark’s guitars are gorgeous, and yours will be no exception! Very nice to see this at the beginning, and to be able to follow it through. Congratulations, and enjoy the journey!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-27-2018, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidel1ty View Post
We just celebrated our 1 year together. What a remarkable build.
Thank you again, Dennis.
fidel1ty,
I played your Greta. Dennis shipped it to me by accident. It was a lovely, lovely guitar. So much so that I had Mark build one nearly exactly like it for me. I received it in March.
Phil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop