The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-18-2017, 02:23 PM

Default Zoom and Tascam Question

I looked through about 20 pages of questions & searched before posting so go easy on me

Looking to get a Zoom or Tascam recorder. Would really like it just to record practice sessions with my one friend. She sings and we both play guitar. I have a PA system in my basement so I assume we can do vocals w/ guitar through that to be louder or just play acoustically. I also would like to use it as a practice tool to listen back to myself on drums. Again, we aren't recording a serious album or anything just want a quality recording to listen back to, maybe even practice along with.

Question is I'm cheap and $99 seems like the H1 or DR-05 would be "good enough" for my needs. Will I regret not spending more to get the H2N or DR-40? Most things I've read about H1 and DR-05 seem like they are not meant for music recording, but more for interviews or "speaking".

Thoughts and suggestions welcome!
Old 09-18-2017, 03:40 PM

Greenstar,
Lots of folks will have more expert options than I can offer, but......from own experiences and watching others, my guess is that you'll get a taste of recording and in just a little bit of time, you'll want "more". More full sound, better sound (in you opinion from listening), multiple tracks to experiment with, and a lot more. It's not a bottomless pit of money and or time, but from your post, I sense a bit more seriousness in what you're searching for in quality and I think you'll evolve quickly if you get a lesser unit.
When others weigh in with their thoughts and expertise on makes/models, go for the best in quality that will serve your current AND anticipated needs. In the long run this will save you money.
I work with a Zoom H4n with expanded condenser mics and mic pre-amp. Very glad my unit would allow for this and I feel I've hit my sweet spot for what I do.
My 2 cents!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 09-18-2017, 04:02 PM

I have no experience with the Zoom products but we use a Tascam DR-07mk II and it is easy to use and has great sound quality. The DR-05 is very similar. I feel confident you will be happy with a Tascam.

Check out both of my websites below. All recordings were done with the Tascam DR-07

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-18-2017, 09:04 PM

I have a DR-05 and use it for exactly what you're planning to use it for: a quick and easy way to capture ideas, etc. I've also used several models of Zoom recorders.

My advice is to get what you're planning on getting as long as you're sure you won't need to move up to more features in the near future.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:46 AM

I have relatively little experience, but I have been experimenting with a Tascam DR44 for similar reasons. I went with the DR44 to have the ability to run microphones directly into the device as well as running a line out of a mixer for recording.

I am pretty happy with the onboard mics as well. If the DR-05 uses the same mics/preamps, then I would think it would be a great choice for what you describe.

That being said, it is always good to look to the future desires.
It is amazing what you can get for a relatively, small sum of money.

Various stringed instruments
Old 09-19-2017, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstar323 View Post
…Will I regret not spending more to get the H2N or DR-40?
Hi Gs

Who can predict the future? If you need a simple recorder, either of the two you listed will work.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-19-2017, 04:15 PM

Cool GEAR Longevity

Tascam has been around since the early 70's ---

Zoom has been around maybe 10 to 15 years .

I have a Tascam DR44WL , it's awesome , that
kind of awesomeness is in most every Tascam
product they make and back up over the years .

Can't say any negative stuff on the Zoom stuff
over all .

At the entry level of either a big difference is not
gonna happen except maybe in the long run
IMHO/YMMV

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 09-19-2017, 08:44 PM

I would get the DR40 without further thought. You'll have 4tracks, eq and a nice reverb. I've had a bunch of small recorders including Zoom and Sony. I have the DR44 now. Supposedly it is the DR40 without WiFi, which I don't use. The DR44 makes really nice recordings. Internal mics are good, although I usually use external mics. Your music deserves to sound it's best and I think the DR40 is only $80 or so more than the 05. Get it from a place you can return it in 30 days. You won't, but it makes the decision easier. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post
[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"]Tascam has been around since the early 70's ---

Zoom has been around maybe 10 to 15 years .
Zoom have been making electronic musical equipment since the 70's.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:20 AM

I've enjoyed my Zoom H2n for years. But the Tascam DR-40 looks functionally incredible and gets great reviews.

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 09-20-2017 at 07:25 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD