The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-11-2015, 06:37 PM

Default Multiple headphone sets question.

I have an Apogee Quartet interface. It has 6 regular outputs and one headphone output. I need to connect a second set of headphones. Is it possible to do this and if so, how?
Old 01-11-2015, 06:58 PM

There are a few multiple output headphone amps. I think you'll be able to run something like the monitor out from the Apogee to the headphone amp.

Here's a cheap example:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FdNj7AodfEkAvw
Old 01-11-2015, 07:12 PM
Guitar Gourmet

The cheap, down and dirty method is to use a stereo y-cord. Not the best. Not sexy. Good for last minute and occasional use.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-11-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
There are a few multiple output headphone amps. I think you'll be able to run something like the monitor out from the Apogee to the headphone amp.

Here's a cheap example:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FdNj7AodfEkAvw
Thanks, Rodger. In my online quest I came across an SM Pro Audio Headphone amplifier that will accommodate 4 headphone sets, but being a real newbie to digital home recording wasn't sure if a headphone amplifier was the right course of action. Based on your input it probably is.
Much appreciated,
Trevor
Old 01-11-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The cheap, down and dirty method is to use a stereo y-cord. Not the best. Not sexy. Good for last minute and occasional use.

Bob
And plug the ends into two of the outputs i.e. 3 & 4, or 5 & 6 on the Quartet?
It would certainly be cheaper than the headphone amp option. Forgive my ignorance but that begs the question, what is the difference between a monitor output and a headphone output other than the stereo configuration?

BTW - Thanks, Bob
Old 01-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
And plug the ends into two of the outputs i.e. 3 & 4, or 5 & 6 on the Quartet?
It would certainly be cheaper than the headphone amp option. Forgive my ignorance but that begs the question, what is the difference between a monitor output and a headphone output other than the stereo configuration?

BTW - Thanks, Bob
The line outs are probably too weak to drive a headphone, they're usually meant to go to some kind of amplifier (possibly built into powered speakers). The headphones outs will have an fairly low-powered amplifier that's meant to drive headphones. But you can always plug in and try the extra monitor outs, you shouldn't hurt anything. There are fairly cheap headphone amplifiers out there, like this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HA400
Old 01-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Guitar Gourmet

My idea was to acquire a stereo y-cord, two female jacks to one male jack. Plug that into the headphone output jack and plug your two headphones into that.

Bob

Old 01-11-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
My idea was to acquire a stereo y-cord, two female jacks to one male jack. Plug that into the headphone output jack and plug your two headphones into that.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The line outs are probably too weak to drive a headphone, they're usually meant to go to some kind of amplifier (possibly built into powered speakers). The headphones outs will have an fairly low-powered amplifier that's meant to drive headphones. But you can always plug in and try the extra monitor outs, you shouldn't hurt anything. There are fairly cheap headphone amplifiers out there, like this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HA400
Okay, the fog is beginning to clear. My monitors are powered, obviously my headphones by themselves aren't. Therein lies the difference between the headphone output and the monitor outputs. Thanks for the clarification. While the stereo y cord option would be simpler, long term the headphone amp. seems like a better solution.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:23 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Okay, the fog is beginning to clear. My monitors are powered, obviously my headphones by themselves aren't. Therein lies the difference between the headphone output and the monitor outputs. Thanks for the clarification. While the stereo y cord option would be simpler, long term the headphone amp. seems like a better solution.
Yes indeed, especially if you go with a set of the high-impedance recording headsets (original AKG K240s) that require a bit more ooomph.

Bob

Old 01-12-2015, 09:34 AM

BTW Bob, I love the Frodo Baggins quote!
Old 01-12-2015, 10:00 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Thanks! That is an exchange in my favorite scene in the books that didn't make it into the movie, when Frodo meets the elves for the first time, in the hills above Woodhall on his way out of the Shire. The reply from Gildor, which is actually the point of the exchange, is,

"'Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill."

I like to help others but am always cautious because it is easy to either mislead or bind them by laying upon them your own opinion. And then there is the fact that I tend to see both sides of any issue, even if I hold to one. It can be a recipe for for some pretty diluted advice...

Bob

Old 01-12-2015, 03:30 PM

Hey Bob, you've been very helpful to me and it's much appreciated.

Way off topic here but have you seen "The Battle of the Five Armies"? While the deletion of Tom Bombadil and your Frodo Baggins quote among others from the movie scripts may be regrettable, running out of story before exhausting the battle scenes made this last instalment less than stellar for me. I'd like to hear your take.
Trevor
Old 01-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I hate being negative, but after I watched the first installment of The Hobbit I got those "jumped the shark" feelings and haven't seen the rest yet. I love the books - I have read them probably more than ten times at this point. I love the visualizations that live inside my mind from reading better than those created on the screen. Sad but true.

Bob

Old 01-14-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I hate being negative, but after I watched the first installment of The Hobbit I got those "jumped the shark" feelings and haven't seen the rest yet. I love the books - I have read them probably more than ten times at this point. I love the visualizations that live inside my mind from reading better than those created on the screen. Sad but true.

Bob
Agree with everything you said in the quote above. While the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy got closer to the images I already had in my head, the Hobbit instalments have fallen short of the mark.

BTW - I settled on an ART 4 channel headphone amp. Takes both 1/4" and 1/8" jacks. Like it's cheaper Behringer counterpart, no on/off switch and the volume control doesn't really kick in until the halfway point but for my purposes it should get the job done.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD