The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-25-2015, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Default looking for the easiest small recorder to use

we've owned a few multi track recorders and others, but my husband wants something REALLY simple for when he's coming up with new riffs/songs. he says he doesn't want to have to read the manual, and isn't looking for great sound quality or multiple tracks - he just wants to push a record button and record, then hit stop, take out the SD card and plug it into his computer.

all the recorders i find have more steps than that involved or don't have an SD card. anyone have any suggestions?
Old 01-25-2015, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

My son used to use a Zoom H2n. It seemed nice and simple, and uses SD cards.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 01-25-2015, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

I use an old Zoom H4. Remarkably good quality - various formats.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
we've owned a few multi track recorders and others, but my husband wants something REALLY simple for when he's coming up with new riffs/songs. he says he doesn't want to have to read the manual, and isn't looking for great sound quality or multiple tracks - he just wants to push a record button and record, then hit stop, take out the SD card and plug it into his computer.

all the recorders i find have more steps than that involved or don't have an SD card. anyone have any suggestions?
I just use my smart phone for recording rough ideas. I send the files to Google drive (cloud) and I can access them from any device.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post

The H2n does exactly this, but your hubby will have to put up with fairly excellent sound quality (grin). And the form factor makes it easy to place on any nearby flat surface, which I find an advantage over recorders like the H1 or Tascam DR05.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 02-10-2015, 01:05 PM

Default Fostex MR-8

I've been using a Fostex MR-8 for the past several years with good success. It's pretty easy to use and lets you bounce tracks and has usable reverb (barely) built in. The only problem is no phantom power for condensers.

Martin DC-1E (gen1)
Laurel Canyon LA-100
Old 02-10-2015, 01:08 PM

I like my Zoom H1. It's cheap, easy to use and does a great job. You can use the SD card or plug the unit directly into the computer's USB port.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:22 PM

The Zoom H1 is okay. If you get one make sure you set it to "wav" format. It is very cheaply made.

The Sony PCM-m10 is the best buy for the money ... IMHO. And very easy to use.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 02-10-2015, 03:40 PM

I am rather surprised by the many suggestions for the Zoom series. I know they are very popular, but I have owned two of the earlier models and returned them both -- finding them too complicated for my desired use. I finally settled on a little Sony diction recorder.

I am now wondering if -- since the time I tried them -- the Zoom products have simplified the user interface?
Old 02-10-2015, 03:54 PM

Default MR-8 cheap and easy

The MR-8 is pretty easy to use and can be bought for less then 100US used. Nice thing about it is the Mix Out features for an all-in-one solution. No PC needed plus 2 headphone jacks. Plus it has sliders like a real mix board. Has XLR's for using your good mics (dynamic required unless you find the Mkii version with phantom power). You can even dump your tracks via USB to a the computer as an option.

Martin DC-1E (gen1)
Laurel Canyon LA-100
Old 02-10-2015, 04:08 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
The Sony PCM-m10 is the best buy for the money ... IMHO. And very easy to use.
Are you using the built-in mics? When I compared models in the past, the PCM-M10 was faulted for having two fixed omnidirectional mics, whereas the Zoom H2n has two cardioid mics which give a good stereo image in XY mode. (Actually, the H2n has five mics total for a variety of patterns.)

On the other hand the Sony is supposed to be noticeably quieter.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
I am rather surprised by the many suggestions for the Zoom series. I know they are very popular, but I have owned two of the earlier models and returned them both -- finding them too complicated for my desired use. I finally settled on a little Sony diction recorder.

I am now wondering if -- since the time I tried them -- the Zoom products have simplified the user interface?
The H2n was the first Zoom that moved toward a simpler user interface. With that recorder it's 1. Power on 2. Hit Record.

Hard to get much simpler than that. That simplicity has carried on with later models, but of course if there's more functionality (overdubbing, phantom power, changing formats, etc.) there's more complexity.

I have an H2n, H1, and H6 and I agree that the build quality of the H1 is unimpressive. I also find micro SD cards to be a (minor, first world) pain so I prefer the H2n for its SD card. And I think the electric shaver form factor makes the recorder more convenient to use for casual recording.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 02-10-2015, 07:12 PM

I use my iPhone with the FourTrack app. I use the built-in mic for quick and dirty recording and switch to an Apogee Jam to plug in for less noise. It works for me.

Rainsong Shorty SG
Rainsong P12T
All the Martins, Gibsons, and others are gone.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
Are you using the built-in mics? When I compared models in the past, the PCM-M10 was faulted for having two fixed omnidirectional mics, whereas the Zoom H2n has two cardioid mics which give a good stereo image in XY mode. (Actually, the H2n has five mics total for a variety of patterns.)

On the other hand the Sony is supposed to be noticeably quieter.
The Sony M10 is VERY easy to use. Turn it on, hit record. At this level, the omni verses cardioid issue doesn't really matter. It doesn't have a removable card.

Here's my review: http://tyfordaudiovideo.blogspot.com...rder-nice.html

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 02-11-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
The H2n was the first Zoom that moved toward a simpler user interface. With that recorder it's 1. Power on 2. Hit Record.

Hard to get much simpler than that......
Thanks for the info, Fran. Good to know that Zoom made it simpler; my (early) Zoom just had so many "nested menus" that I found the moment of inspiration gone by the time I got the recorder working. I agree that the quality of the recording, however, was very good.

As they have now made the interface much simpler, I'll have to give the newer models a fresh try.

Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD