The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-22-2014, 11:03 PM

Default Weak signal from microphone

A number of years ago I was given a TASCAM MF-P01 Portastudio 4 track casette recorder as a gift, along with a TEAC TM 77 Dynamic microphone.

Well, after all these years, I'm finally trying to use the setup. I'm able to make recordings, but the signal from the microphone apparently is quite weak, since I have to put the input volume on the recorder all the way to maximum in order to get much. The LED recording indicators on the deck barely register at all unless I'm right on top of the microphone.

Singing directly into the microphone (perhaps an inch or two away) will record my voice, but my acoustic guitar is hardly audible. If I stand back from the mic and sing or play, it barely registers on the LED's or the recording. So, I don't seem to be able to get a good recording level.

Any ideas? I'm thinking it might be the microphone.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:48 AM

It could be the mic (most likely), the cable or the preamp on the Tascam. First thing to do is try another mic.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-07-2015, 11:38 AM

I thought I would provide a followup regarding my OP above.

I bought an Audix i5 dynamic mike, and it has better sensitivity than the TEAC M77 I was using. The signal requires less gain to be applied at the recorder

Then I tried running the original mic, the Teac M77, through the preamp on my little Tascam DR-07 Mark II. Tremendous improvement, such that not much gain needs to applied at the Portastudio recorder.

Bottom line seems to be that some of the original issue was with the mic, and some of it was with the Portastudio's preamp.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD