The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2016, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Default HD28 Retro vs D35 Retro

if I'm reading specs right, only "construction" differences between the two that would change sound/tone are 1) sitka vs european top 2) X scalloped-forward vs X scalloped 3) top bracing 5/16 vs 1/4.......these diff were listed as the 28 first and the 35 second.....

with these three factors, for a rhythm player like me, what would be the biggest differences between the two as far as bottom end/bass and clarity/balance.....and any other differences you've experienced? thanks
Old 03-05-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugjr View Post
if I'm reading specs right, only "construction" differences between the two that would change sound/tone are 1) sitka vs european top 2) X scalloped-forward vs X scalloped 3) top bracing 5/16 vs 1/4.......these diff were listed as the 28 first and the 35 second.....

with these three factors, for a rhythm player like me, what would be the biggest differences between the two as far as bottom end/bass and clarity/balance.....and any other differences you've experienced? thanks
Play both and find out for yourself. Way too expensive of guitars to get the opinions of strangers.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:59 PM

I agree that you should go play them if you can, but getting opinions is part of what forums like this are for!

The tonal differences between the Retro series HD-28 and D-35 should theoretically be the same as the general differences between the Standard series HD-28 and D-35. The HD-28 will usually have a less refined but huge bottom end, while the D-35's low end will usually be focused. The D-35 will usually be more balanced and have more clarity.

I was at Music Folk in St. Louis yesterday and played a lot of Martins, but my 3 favs were the HD-28, HD-35 and D-35, with the HD-28 being the clear winner for me. (It was a really good sounding example of an HD-28). I'm mainly a rhythm player, too, and I love the huge sound of the HD-28.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

would if I could but I can't so I won't...................oh,but lets see now, I could buy both, keep my favorite, then sell the other at a 700-1000 loss.....great idea!
Old 03-05-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
would if I could but I can't so I won't...................oh,but lets see now, I could buy both, keep my favorite, then sell the other at a 700-1000 loss.....great idea!
I'd buy NEITHER of these without playing them first! No way, no how.

If you can afford a $3,500+ guitar you can afford a to go on a road trip to play one. Otherwise it's a roll of the dice, and you can get as many opinions form as many people as you want, but it doesn't mean YOU will like it. Also, those who have an HD-28 are going to say that the HD-28 sounds the best, and those that have the D-35 are going to say that it sounds superior. Also, buying sight unseen means that there's no guarantee that the one you get will be a 'good' one.

If you're really that serious about buying one of these and can't/won't/sont want to make the trip to play them I'd call either Wildwood Guitars in Colorado or LA Guitar Sales and tell them exactly what you want and let them pick one for you instead of relying on those here with heavily biased opinions based on what they have.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:33 PM

I agree........try them out first and compare side by side if possible.

I had a standard HD which I purchased unseen/unplayed. I also ask the UMGF forum for their opinion before pulling the trigger and most suggested the HD.

Although the HD was great, I think I prefer the standard D more. Good luck
Old 03-05-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
I agree........try them out first and compare side by side if possible.

I had a standard HD which I purchased unseen/unplayed. I also ask the UMGF forum for their opinion before pulling the trigger and most suggested the HD.

Although the HD was great, I think I prefer the standard D more. Good luck
Everyone thinks the HD is always better than the D, because if there's an H in the name, it MUST be better!
Old 03-05-2016, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

sbpark.....that does make perfect sense, appreciate your thoughts.....I've played acoustics for 50 yrs, only dived into "quality" this past 7 yrs, Guilds and Taylors...so now I'm learning about Martin, the gang here gave me links couple weeks ago (specs etc) that I studied for days, really helped.....so today's question was pretty specific...how do these three diff (in general) affect sound? 1) HD 28 Retro has forward shifted X scalloped, the D35 Retro has X scalloped but not shifted...what is the basic reason to "forward shift"? 2) HD 28 Retro has 5/16 top braces, the D35 Retro has 1/4...basic diff? 3) HD28 Retro has Sitka top, the D35 Retro has European...basic diff? still from a rhythm playing perspective, and I realize "every single guitar" is diff from any other.....but this narrows down some searching and purchasing plans......travel is not in the cards for me at this time, so I like your suggestion to find a store or two to trust, which reduces the chance of a "wrong" choice.....
Old 03-05-2016, 04:53 PM

Don't forget the 3 piece back on the 35
Old 03-05-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Those difference are quite significant, I highly recommend trying both before making your decision.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

There are many threads here on AGF comparing (and opinonating) Martin dreads, usually x28s and D18, but here are some that address D35 and D/HD28 comparisons:
Then, spin over to UMGF:
Google is your friend:-) AGF has a built in Google search at bottom of page also. Google search works way better than the forum search (which is why our smart hosts put there I assume). However, I'm also a play it yourself advocate.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Last edited by pjroberts; 03-05-2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: one more point
Old 03-05-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Those difference are quite significant, I highly recommend trying both before making your decision.
Don't tell him that. He doesn't want to hear it!
Old 03-05-2016, 07:49 PM

Forget those two - try the D18e Retro!

I broke my own rule not to buy new after playing mine last November - fantastic guitar, fantastic electronics, sound, playing ...everything and......beautiful! Take it!

BluesKing777.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Default 28 vs 35

I've owned the Retro 28, 35 and 18.
I sold the 28 and 18 and kept the 35.
Reasoning:
More focused bottom end
More note clarity
A superior guitar for strumming
An amazing rhythm instrument (my main use)
And if you are into country for flat picking, ala Cash or Jennings, this is the ONE.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:12 AM

Another thought: you can't really go wrong with either.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion