The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Speaking of Schoenberg

Several years ago I visited Eric Schoenberg's shop. It really is a great guitar shop! While I was there I got to play a lot of outstanding new and vintage guitars. The one that stood out then and is still stuck in my head was a Schoenberg 0000C.
I'm wondering if anyone on this forum is familiar with that model or that particular guitar. I'm pretty sure it was 2011, right after Healdsburg.Any info is welcome.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Humanist

You should simply contact the shop.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 11-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

I have spoken with Eric about this model, just looking for other opinions or thoughts about it.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

I've played a number of the Schoenberg models. I frequent that shop fairly often. All of the builders Eric has building guitars under the Schoenberg name build world class guitars. I'm not sure you could go wrong with any of them. The Claxton Eric has in right now is quite incredible and so are the two Slobod built guitars.

Do you remember the woods and which builder built the particular 000c Schoenberg you played?

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 11-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

I assume it was Randall Kramer, I think he is the only one doing the 0000c or quartet. Don't remember the woods on the particular guitar I played.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

It's actually there now. The exact 0000 that was at HGF. I played it on Saturday. Huge, beautiful sound. I can probably give you a few details. James and Eric are very good about answering questions, too.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info, is it for sale? I missed it on website
Old 11-11-2014, 08:17 PM

Going to Eric's shop is on my bucket list. I have been out to California visiting my mom but I didn't have time to go.
I was lucky to see Eric in concert, twice, in the 1970's. I saw him at the Kent State Folk Festival and at Boulder Junction Coffee House in Uniontown, Ohio. After the Uniontown gig, he was kind enough to show me how to play his version of the Beatles song, "Blackbird." (He plays the original guitar part and the melody at the same time.) Well, he told me the tuning he used, and I watched him play it up close. I tried it but I still couldn't play it.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 11-11-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
Thanks for the info, is it for sale? I missed it on website
Here's the listing for it on his website:
http://om28.com/ProductDetail?product=P140920002
Old 11-11-2014, 09:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

I don't promote the guitars I make for Eric much, but I would like to mention that I dropped off a Schoenberg BRW/Italian 00 long scale 14 fret cutaway a couple of weeks ago that I believe holds up pretty well.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

I'm pretty sure the guitar I played back in 2011 was not this guitar, but this one looks great. I'm not quite in the position to buy right now, just plotting my next move. Bruce, I played one of your guitars on that same visit, it was very nice as I recall.
YamiYari, if you are the adventurous type and if you are staying in San Fran, you can rent a bike to ride across the golden gate and into Tiburon. Spend some time playing guitars then ride the ferry across the bay back to SF. It's a great way to spend a day.
Justonwo, obviously the 000 that you bought spoke to you, what do you remember about the 0000?
Old 11-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
I'm pretty sure the guitar I played back in 2011 was not this guitar, but this one looks great. I'm not quite in the position to buy right now, just plotting my next move. Bruce, I played one of your guitars on that same visit, it was very nice as I recall.
YamiYari, if you are the adventurous type and if you are staying in San Fran, you can rent a bike to ride across the golden gate and into Tiburon. Spend some time playing guitars then ride the ferry across the bay back to SF. It's a great way to spend a day.
Justonwo, obviously the 000 that you bought spoke to you, what do you remember about the 0000?
I believe Eric mentioned that this was the guitar displayed at HGF, but I think he was referring to 2013. I actually remember seeing this one on display. The 0000c is not too dissimilar from the 000c I ended up buying. I would not say there was a substantial difference in the bass of the two instruments. I don't remember the 0000 being quite as responsive and was just a tad drier and darker, particularly in the top end. This 000-12 I bought is a little unusual for mahogany, at least in my limited experience, because I hear more sparkle in the high end.

My guess is the tonal differences probably have more to do with the different builders than the different specs. I have played 3 or 4 of Howard's guitars, and they are all exceptionally responsive. I don't have much experience with Sparky. I definitely enjoyed the 0000, and I think I've played another 0000 Schoenberg come to think of it, but for me the 000 is really in the sweet spot size-wise.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:19 PM
MarioKartShart

Default Panamanian Rosewood Quartet

Is this the guitar?

http://om28.com/ProductDetail?product=P120329001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VokgFw0k5ZM

I think it was up for sale sometime in the last year but sold very quickly.

There's some other information here on this model:

http://onemanz.com/guitar/reviews/ac...nberg/quartet/
Old 11-13-2014, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

I believe that is the guitar. Another coincidence is that one of the best sounding guitars that I have heard was an OM built by John Slobod with Panamanian Rosewood. I have a 00 that John built with mahogany back and sides, it is my go to guitar. There are a lot of folks that own John's guitars at the Swannanoa Gathering so I have heard and played several.
The only guitar that I have heard that I thought sounded better than my 00 was that Panamanian OM.
The 0000 struck me in the same way. That might have to be the next one, but il have to save for awhile.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:57 PM
MarioKartShart

Default Panamanian Rosewood

I think the Panamanian OM you mentioned is the guitar that Tony McManus plays in the Montreal Guitar Show video on YouTube. I wanted to get a guitar something like that, but John was out of Panama Rosewood!

Must be cool to play so many Circas. I definitely wish I could play more of them! Great videos by the way...you should post more!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop