The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-21-2014, 11:15 PM

Default How to straighten curved nails

I'm an acoustic fingerpicker and my nails have curved, growing closer to the flesh of the finger tip. Have you or do you know of anyone who has straightened curved finger nails?
Old 07-22-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowplayer View Post
I'm an acoustic fingerpicker and my nails have curved, growing closer to the flesh of the finger tip. Have you or do you know of anyone who has straightened curved finger nails?
I had the opposite problem with my right hand middle finger: the nail curls up, away from the flesh, just past the fingertip. I was studying classical at the time and it was a pita but I was able to deal with it. When I switched back to steel string in the early 90s I was so used to using my nails that I couldn't play without them BUT they wore down way too fast. My solution, thanks to a discussion with Don Ross, was to get acrylics.

Acrylics cured both my up-curving nail and gave them the strength to play steel strings. I very much doubt that acrylics have "fixed" my up-curving nail...I suspect that that is genetics and that if I allowed the acrylics to grow out and went back to my natural nails I'm sure I'd find that same old problem. Acrylics (or fiberglass) may solve your problem since the bond to the stronger material will hold your nails straight. I've had them continuously for 22 years now and I won't look back.

But be forewarned, acrylics are addictive and, depending on how fast your nails grow, it can take six months or more to recover from them if you decide that you don't like them.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowplayer View Post
I get this when my nails get too long and they start to catch on the strings. I file my nails at an angle ramped to the right which keeps the problem at bay.

Or you can try "The Thing" on this page.
http://www.mangore.com/fingernails-2-12-101

Please note however that I have never used it or attacked my nails with a soldering iron and I do not endorse the method at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Tags
curved nails, nails, straighten curved nails