The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-12-2018, 08:04 PM
ALBD ALBD is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Wrightsville Beach, NC
Posts: 328
Default We don't give ourselves enough credit

Occurred to me that in my drive to be better than I'm probably capable of I forget to appreciate what I've accomplished. Remember to enjoy what you've accomplished now without worrying about how much better you want to be.

Just a thought I had that might be worth sharing
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2018, 08:05 PM
JSDenvir JSDenvir is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 312
Default

Well said, and a great reminder.

Steve
__________________
www.denvirguitars.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2018, 08:30 PM
rokdog49 rokdog49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5,340
Default

I used to be guilty of that, not anymore.
__________________
Jamie

_________________
There is positivity in happiness...
...I positively choose to be happy.


Pono D 20 Sunburst SS
Martin D18
Martin OMC-15 ME
Eastman E10 00 Sunburst
Eastman E 6 OM Limited Edition
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2018, 08:35 PM
HHP HHP is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 28,361
Default

I'm realistic to know I am not destined to be a great player. But, I play better than I ever though I would and within my circles, I am not thought to suck. I play well enough to entertain myself. I'm OK with all that.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2018, 08:48 PM
ALBD ALBD is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Wrightsville Beach, NC
Posts: 328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I used to be guilty of that, not anymore.
Yea. It's a step you need to take.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2018, 09:16 PM
jpd's Avatar
jpd jpd is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA.
Posts: 8,659
Talking

I'm guilty of getting caught up in what I'm doing, and not looking back at what I've done. In my case, it's amazing to see what I've accomplished in the last few years....I'd bet a few others have made some remarkable progress too
__________________
"Heavy is the head that wears the crown, many are called, few are chosen"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-13-2018, 07:51 AM
Song Writer Song Writer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
Occurred to me that in my drive to be better than I'm probably capable of I forget to appreciate what I've accomplished. Remember to enjoy what you've accomplished now without worrying about how much better you want to be.

Just a thought I had that might be worth sharing
Yeah, you can appreciate what you've accomplished for like 2 minutes. Go ahead, make it 2 minutes a day if you like. And then it should be back to work. Hard work.

I equate "worrying about how much better you want to be" with the concept of "drive." And that concept has brought me from being a three chord strummer to being a classical player....who now wants to be a better classical player.

I loathe "resting on one's laurels" because it doesn't get any work done. For some, this is the difference between YMMV, your mileage may vary and YMMRV, your mileage may really vary.
__________________
Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-13-2018, 07:59 AM
ALBD ALBD is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Wrightsville Beach, NC
Posts: 328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song Writer View Post
Yeah, you can appreciate what you've accomplished for like 2 minutes. Go ahead, make it 2 minutes a day if you like. And then it should be back to work. Hard work.

I equate "worrying about how much better you want to be" with the concept of "drive." And that concept has brought me from being a three chord strummer to being a classical player....who now wants to be a better classical player.

I loathe "resting on one's laurels" because it doesn't get any work done. For some, this is the difference between YMMV, your mileage may vary and YMMRV, your mileage may really vary.
I can only have 2 minutes?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-13-2018, 12:48 PM
buddyhu buddyhu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song Writer View Post
Yeah, you can appreciate what you've accomplished for like 2 minutes. Go ahead, make it 2 minutes a day if you like. And then it should be back to work. Hard work.

I equate "worrying about how much better you want to be" with the concept of "drive." And that concept has brought me from being a three chord strummer to being a classical player....who now wants to be a better classical player.

I loathe "resting on one's laurels" because it doesn't get any work done. For some, this is the difference between YMMV, your mileage may vary and YMMRV, your mileage may really vary.

There are many drives that can foster development, and even expertise; one doesn't need to be miserly in one's recognition and appreciation of progress (and perhaps even experience gratitude for the fruits of one's hard work) in order to experience noteworthy (or even phenomenal) development of one's skills and knowledge. Indeed, appreciation can help one play with greater confidence, which usually enhances execution/performance.

I understand that your approach works for you, and probably many others. I'm just saying that is not the only path to excellence.

Also, I think we have to respect that each person has a different space in their life for making music. To map out the extremes: if you have a complex life with multiple other pursuits and responsibilities (say a professional career, a family situation that is temporarily or permanently difficult, a vast network of friends, and at least one other hobby that is equal in value to your interest in guitars and music) the space you have for mastering guitar will have a different shape and size than a person who has a simple life that is strongly oriented towards developing as a musician, finding work as a musician, and spending time in a network of friends who are primarily musicians.
__________________
Rich H.

"You can cut all the flowers, but you cannot keep Spring from coming."
PABLO NERUDA
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2018, 12:56 PM
Song Writer Song Writer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
I can only have 2 minutes?
Well, I wouldn't spend a whole lot more time on it.

Playing inherently has its own positive feedback loop whether it be strumming three chords, or fingerpicking a Bach invention. I think that self appreciation happens and is immediate when you learn a new technique or chord or song, but doesn't need to be dwelt on to sustain the desire to play and get better. It is its own reward.
__________________
Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-13-2018, 02:22 PM
marty bradbury marty bradbury is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Renton Wash.
Posts: 2,429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
I'm guilty of getting caught up in what I'm doing, and not looking back at what I've done. In my case, it's amazing to see what I've accomplished in the last few years....I'd bet a few others have made some remarkable progress too
Well said. For me "remarkable" no but am looking forward to slowly getting better this year.
__________________
Garrison G-10
Alvarez AP70
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-13-2018, 07:43 PM
Pitar Pitar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,759
Default

I never took myself seriously from the start as a musician but I did have some serious respect for the art form. So, instead of seeking musician status I lowered my sights and have been satisfied as just a guitar player.
__________________
https://www.fisherhouse.org/

-----------------
"Think as a winner and act as a winner. You’ll be quite likely to achieve your goal."

Enzo Ferrari
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-13-2018, 08:43 PM
D. Shelton D. Shelton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chi Wah Wah Galaxy
Posts: 6,262
Default

Obsession has a way of interfering with enjoyment. Where we derive our self-worth from shouldn't, in my opinion, be mostly about accomplishments, but since that's the subject ...

I'd be an amazing player if that's how I'd chosen to spend my time , but I didn't. Not too logical to regret not being amazing, then, but it does pop up.
It's weird, the thing I am amazing at, it just doesn't seem as "cool" (or something) as musicianship, so it's taken time to appreciate my accomplishments in that area. I like being motivated, but not self-critical to the point of non-enjoyment.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-14-2018, 09:47 AM
buddyhu buddyhu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shelton View Post
Obsession has a way of interfering with enjoyment. Where we derive our self-worth from shouldn't, in my opinion, be mostly about accomplishments, but since that's the subject ...

I'd be an amazing player if that's how I'd chosen to spend my time , but I didn't. Not too logical to regret not being amazing, then, but it does pop up.
It's weird, the thing I am amazing at, it just doesn't seem as "cool" (or something) as musicianship, so it's taken time to appreciate my accomplishments in that area. I like being motivated, but not self-critical to the point of non-enjoyment.
Nicely expressed.
__________________
Rich H.

"You can cut all the flowers, but you cannot keep Spring from coming."
PABLO NERUDA
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-14-2018, 11:00 AM
Sage97 Sage97 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: GA
Posts: 6,981
Send a message via Yahoo to Sage97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I'm realistic to know I am not destined to be a great player. But, I play better than I ever though I would and within my circles, I am not thought to suck. I play well enough to entertain myself. I'm OK with all that.
I'm in the same exact place. There are times that I get frustrated and think I suck but there are times that I impress myself by learning songs I've previously labeled impossible.
__________________
"Dreams are the answers to questions that we haven't figured out how to ask." - Mulder
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=