The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-06-2013, 12:38 AM

Default takamine Guitars

I am looking at a takamine P7D, anyone know anything about this guitar and takmine's period???
Also the best price I have been quoted is 2679 and no where can anyone else come close but on e-bay a guy has one for 2179.. It is unusual low and he is vague about supplying me with s.n and just says he is a dealer and it is fresh from takamine and also. I But he is vague and reluctant to answer questions about is it new, unplayed etc etc! Thoughts anyone!
Oh! He did keep urging me to hurry up a buy now and he lowered his price 30.00 and said hurry and click on buy now! Something worries me about this guy! E-Bay name is "Musicpower".. Help???
Old 10-06-2013, 01:04 AM

Takamine had a heyday 15 or so years ago with their acoustic-electrics. They don't seem to be as common or popular now.

I've played some I really liked, and some that just didn't do it for me. Is there a reason you want this particular guitar? There is a lot of competition at that price point.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:28 AM

I would find a Takamine EF360SBG. You can still find them new. That PD7 is too high a price. I just bought a Martin HD-28 New for less than that. I can install a pickup in my Martin and it would still cost less. I wish I had not sold my Tak EF360SBG.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Takamine-Tra...item5af431b41f

I would offer $1700.00 for this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Takamine-TF3...item58a58198ca
Old 10-06-2013, 02:53 AM

I have a tak guitar and im realy happy with it,but for over 2k$+ I rather go for a different guitar.
the p7 is Takamine top of the line guitar and the specs are:

•Traditional Dreadnought Body
•Solid Spruce Top w/ Scalloped “X” Bracing & Genuine Abalone Soundhole Rosette
•Solid Rosewood Back & Sides
•Maple Body Binding w/ Dark Wood Purfling
•CTP-2 Cool Tube™ Preamp
•Takamine's World-Famous Palathetic™ Pickup
•Mahogany Neck w/ Takamine's Asymmetrical Neck Profile (slightly thinner on the treble side so that it fits the natural shape of your hand, resulting in a comfortable feel and improved playability)
•Rosewood Bridge w/ Split Bone Saddle
•Ivory-Colored Bridge Pins w/ Genuine Abalone
•Ebony Fretboard w/ Ivoroid Binding & Genuine Abalone “Snowflake” Inlaid Position Markers
•Dark Rosewood Headstock Overlay w/ Genuine Abalone Inlaid Takamine Logo
•Gold Tuning Machines w/ Gold Buttons
•Bone Nut
•Gloss Natural Lacquer Finish
•Official Takamine Hardshell Case

To my taste its pretty standard..the cool tube preamp is great but acousticly at these prices you can get better from a martin or tylor.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:17 PM

I have a HD28 and a HD28V custom with Madagascar sides and back with adi top and adi bracing fwd. shifted scalloped X. and also a Guild D-55. I was wanting to possible have a great variation of guitars that hopefully offered great sounds in their own uniqueness. Of the three I have they do not cross over and all three satisfy me. Its just a collection thing for great sounding guitars! I do not see many places at all to hear a sample of the Tak. P7D which makes me wonder.. But just trying to consider!! Thanks
Old 10-06-2013, 07:20 PM

I also notice and fear when you venture away from the popular and better know reputation guitars your resale chances are better without taking deep hits. Also they turn over pretty quick. But when you venture to other lesser know brands they become harder to ell and get a good price for them. The guild can get a good price but not as many looking for guilds as they are Martins, and taylors etc etc!!
Old 10-06-2013, 07:30 PM

I would personally not pay that much for a guitar unseen. I am not saying the guitar isn't worth the money...... I honestly don't know, but before I pay that much, I want to try one out.

Bryant
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA
Old 10-06-2013, 07:52 PM

I bought a Takamine TNV360SC from Musicpower off of ebay.
Great guitar and they were fairly easy to work with but they are all business.
I'm pretty sure my guitar was shipped from a Takamine warehouse and was never part of his inventory.
It was brand new and has been a phenomenal guitar.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:08 PM

I bought a little palor size Tak EF416s, they call it a New Yorker size body. Plays real nice, good tone for a small guitar and the neck and build are nice too. I have a family member who is a working musician for about forty years now and his guitar of choice is TAKAMINE nylon and steel. They dont get any better that him and he has his choice. Hope that helps you out.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:15 PM

Default Takamine

Tak's have never done it for me, but that's jut personal preference.

The seller pushing you to buy and his reluctance to supply a S/N or possibly answer your questions is a major red flag.

I'd pass on it unless you can deal face to face. Sounds fishy to me.

Last edited by PTC Bernie; 10-06-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
Tak's have never done it for me, but that's jut personal preference.

The seller pushing you to buy and his reluctance to supply a S/N or possibly answer your questions is a major red flag.

I'd pass on it unless you can deal face to face. Sounds fishy to me.

I agree! The best ever price I could get was 2549 using musicians friend coupon. And I think this will be the price range! But this e-bay guy had it listed for 2179 and after I ask him questions he would say I changed my price to 2149 hurry click buy now! I ask him was it a factory made takamine and nEW. He said No worries he is a authorized dealer but wouldn't give me the serial number. He said it is sealed in the box and he didn't want to open it. I said if you bought it you would have an invoice. I clicked on buy it now but after he was reluctant to answer my questions also I filled out a bill me later paypal account and tried to pay on that but he said he didn't take bill me later. There was nothing I could do. So I politely ask him to cancel sale. He said NO he would not cancel. This whole thing stinks. Since I couldn't fund it with paypal bill me later because he didn't accept that and we didn't find out about it until I clicked buy it now! E-bay has all the transcripts and sided with me if he files a non payment complaint! Why if its such a good deal would he not want to cancel sale!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 10:29 PM

Taks, especially the Pro line or Ltd's made in Japan are great guitars. According to personal preferences as good as Martins or Taylors or whatever. They made their name in the 80's as THE stage guitar and still hold a bit of that though the competition is much stronger now.

I recall a few times seeing Tommy Emmanuel playing around Sydney with a beaten to hell Tak dread before he did a deal with Maton. I use a G series as my stage guitar but I have tweaked it some with an upgrade or two.

As far as your ebay seller pushing I would back away. If they will not give details and answer questions, go somewhere else. Depending where you are there's lots of places, some of the sponsors to this site sell Taks amongst other things. Look around some eh.

Kris
Old 10-06-2013, 11:13 PM

years ago they used to say a Takamine was a
300.00 guitar attached to a 900.00 pickup.
that was just kind of a joke though,

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion