The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2009, 11:22 AM

Nehemiah, Tru-oil has hydrocarbon solvents for thinners. They aren't as harsh as lacquer thinner, but it still is a good idea to wear a respirator with organic vapor cartridges.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the health tip Howard, I do try to wear a respirator when I can, but with something like Tru-oil I'll actually hold the guitar in my lap and apply the finish, I always wear a mask when spraying anything, but the fumes and odor emmitted from Tru-oil is hardly noticeable, maybe that explains why I'm not wearing any pants.
To any one else out there finishing or sanding on something, really, take all the necessary precautions, just as Howard said.
It 'll only help.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic36 View Post
the fumes and odor emmitted from Tru-oil is hardly noticeable, maybe that explains why I'm not wearing any pants.
You too????
Old 05-27-2009, 06:45 PM

A friend of mine who is a builder brought down a small parlor guitar on Monday that he built a few years ago with a gloss finish. It was a beauty. Knowing he uses Tru-Oil I asked him what this one had been finished with. He said Tru Oil of course. He said its in the number of coats and buffing process he uses.

I have finished quite a few gun stocks and re-finished one guitar with Tru Oil. It may not be everyone's favorite but I think it works well. Hard to do a lousy job with it IMHO.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
A friend of mine who is a builder brought down a small parlor guitar on Monday that he built a few years ago with a gloss finish. It was a beauty. Knowing he uses Tru-Oil I asked him what this one had been finished with. He said Tru Oil of course. He said its in the number of coats and buffing process he uses.

I have finished quite a few gun stocks and re-finished one guitar with Tru Oil. It may not be everyone's favorite but I think it works well. Hard to do a lousy job with it IMHO.
That's good to hear and confirms the research I had done before going with Tru-Oil. Thanks for sharing that.

Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion