The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)
Default Laminated Wonder

I popped into Gryphon Strings last week to pick up a box of strings for my brother's birthday gift. While I was waiting I started noodling on one of these:

Bristol 000-14

Uhhh...wow...it was a very good sounding and playing guitar! Seriously, I was shocked by what I was hearing out of the all-laminate box. Of course it didn't hurt that Frank Ford's crew dialed it in (Gryphon dials in all their guitars regardless of price point). Looking inside the box all I saw was a clean build. None of the glue-spattered, saw-ripped splintery stuff...looked like a right proper guitar.

Hard to pass up at that price...so I didn't. It shall be my designated office guitar.

Truly amazing what is coming out of Asia...scary perhaps?

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 08-21-2010, 05:55 PM

i wouldnt be scared! sounds like you probably got a great deal and if anything ever happens to it, heaven forbid, you wont be out too much! glad you found a gem!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:13 PM

Got any pics?
Old 08-21-2010, 06:30 PM

Huh. It's made by Blueridge? Cool . . .

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:46 PM

Bristol is a part of Blueridge.....supposed to be it's budget line.

You can hear it here. I have no connection to Beyond Guitars, but know he sells quite a few of them. He's got audio clips for the other models. For the asking price, the US manufacturers should be very worried if brands like this continue to pick up steam in the market.

BM-16 OOO
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bristol-BM-16-00...3412?pt=Guitar

BD-16 Dreadnaught
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bristol-BD-16-dr...6518?pt=Guitar
Old 08-21-2010, 09:37 PM

I agree Odd. It's amazing the value and sound out there for not a lot of money. It's one of my favorite things to do.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:07 AM

Default To the OP...

I have also found the quality of guitars coming from Asia - yes even laminates - as quite impressive. I would prefer solid back and sides and also US made guitars but for some of us, it is truly a matter of what the budget allows...

I spent a night in jail in Fallon. Very short sighted sheriff's deputy who did not like a young man's reference to parentage (not to mention that I blew through town and violated oh -- a few speed limits) and was not agreeable to my assertion that he did not have the right to stop me. Fallon will always have a "special" place in my heart.

Enjoy your new baby!

john

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...

Last edited by Idaho John; 08-22-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho John View Post
I
I spent a night in jail in Fallon. Very short sighted sheriff's deputy who did not like a young man's reference to parentage (not to mention that I blew through town and violated oh -- a few speed limits) and was not agreeable to my assertion that he did not have the right to stop me. Fallon will always have a "special" place in my heart.

Enjoy your new baby!

john
That's what they say about Fallon...

"Come on vacation, leave on probation."

I will enjoy her in all her laminated cheapness.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 08-25-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
I popped into Gryphon Strings last week to pick up a box of strings for my brother's birthday gift. While I was waiting I started noodling on one of these:

Bristol 000-14

Uhhh...wow...it was a very good sounding and playing guitar! Seriously, I was shocked by what I was hearing out of the all-laminate box. Of course it didn't hurt that Frank Ford's crew dialed it in (Gryphon dials in all their guitars regardless of price point). Looking inside the box all I saw was a clean build. None of the glue-spattered, saw-ripped splintery stuff...looked like a right proper guitar.

Hard to pass up at that price...so I didn't. It shall be my designated office guitar.

Truly amazing what is coming out of Asia...scary perhaps?
My son and I picked up one a few weeks ago as a gift for his girlfriend. My luthier is Blueridge dealer and he recommended the Bristol 000. He did his magic on it, and it was impressive.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:20 PM

I bought that same guitar over a year ago, slapped in a K&K, and it's been my main guitar for both gigging and around the house ever since. I love the neck. I also own a Martin and the Martin does sound a bit better... the difference isn't as great as you'd expect, though.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:03 AM

Is the top solid spruce or a laminate?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:27 PM

There aint nothin wrong with a laminate guitar...especially if it has a solid top. I have a couple here that are as good or better than so many solids I have owned or played. Lots of snobery towards lams.... They make good sense for many people.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:15 PM

Default and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bltprf502 View Post
There ain't nothin wrong with a laminate guitar...especially if it has a solid top. I have a couple here that are as good or better than so many solids I have owned or played. Lots of snobbery towards lams.... They make good sense for many people.
What he said...

john

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...
Old 09-06-2010, 08:47 AM

I am considering the 000 version of one of these as part of my stimulus package. I looked at an Eastman AC312 a few days ago, but it may be too rich for what I need right now. ANy more feedback on these... As long as they sound good I don't care what they are made of...
Old 09-06-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrew View Post
Bristol is a part of Blueridge.....supposed to be it's budget line.

You can hear it here. I have no connection to Beyond Guitars, but know he sells quite a few of them. He's got audio clips for the other models. For the asking price, the US manufacturers should be very worried if brands like this continue to pick up steam in the market.

BM-16 OOO
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bristol-BM-16-00...3412?pt=Guitar

BD-16 Dreadnaught
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bristol-BD-16-dr...6518?pt=Guitar
Kind of like Silver Creek is to Recording King?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion