The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-26-2013, 01:35 PM

Default Finding folks to play with

I haven't played in a band since I was a teenager (LOOOONG ago). I am playing more in recent months (acoustic only...fingerpicking and some flat picking/strumming), but don't have anyone nearby to jam with (some old friends who play are a few hours away, which means we jam only 2 or 3 times a year). Any good ideas about how to find folks to play with, other than looking for notices in guitar shops or looking on Craig's List? I live in the SF Bay Area, so I am sure there is a lot happening "out there", but I have not yet had success finding my way to some other like-minded folks. I need to play with people who will tolerate my limited repertoire, and the fact that my finger-picking can sometimes fall apart when I try to blend with others (but my strumming is quite reliable).
Old 03-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Default same boat

I'm in the same boat. I used to jam with friends - one was a bass player, but nothing reliable or consiustent so I mostly play for my own enjoyment.

Would like to find others in my region, but seems hard to find.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-26-2013, 01:57 PM

I'm in the East Bay Area, too, over the hills from Berkeley/Oakland. Not much happening right here. There are some small groups, but my schedule doesn't mesh with the ones I've found so far. Most activities of any kind in this area seem to be kid-or teen-oriented, or geared toward folks who've never picked up an instrument. No one in my usual circles plays or sings.

More can be found in Berkeley/Oakland/SF (...duh...) or out toward Sacramento. San Jose/Palo Alto's pretty lively, too.

Depending where you are, you may be looking at some driving.

Meetup.com is one way to find people, or to create a group from scratch (haven't tried that yet). I also use Google to find adult lessons and guitar camps.
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM

I pay a guy to play guitar with me every Tuesday night that he can't think of a reason to get out of it. In fact, its 4:20 and he hasn't called to cancel yet, so maybe I'll get to play some guitar tonight!

AF
2012 Martin OM-15 LA Guitar Sales Custom
2009 Martin HD-28
1974 Gibson J-50
Seagull S6 Coastline GT
1971 Yahama FG-75
1994 American Standard Telecaster
Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 PM

Unfortunately, I was not able to attend the latest get together of the Twin Cities AGF Association. Some of the AGF members searched for and found the other AGF members from our area. They try to organize places to meet and play together every so often. The last was 1 1/2 weeks ago at a local coffee shop that has an open mic stage. It was a get to know each other, play if you want to play, or just listen get together.

You can check the Community forum to see if there are any AGF groups in your area. Or, maybe check the member profiles to find some other AGF members in your area and contact them. There may be some playing buddies just an e-mail away.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I'm in the same boat. I used to jam with friends - one was a bass player, but nothing reliable or consiustent so I mostly play for my own enjoyment.

Would like to find others in my region, but seems hard to find.
6-20 of us have been gathering every Wednesday for about a decade...swap songs, jam, occassional cigar....great guys. worth the drive from Buffalo! {Saratoga County}

1852 Dutch Barn
1895 Farmhouse
1964 Long Island Blonde
2002 Yellow Lab
Old 03-26-2013, 03:03 PM

Does this story sound familiar. Compounded by the fact that we live in a sparsely populated area. Maybe 10,000 full time residents in our mountain villages. My available time matches nobodys..... So the heck with 'em.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM

Start with Meetup.com and search for acoustic guitar music, etc. The LA area has quite a few acoustic/folk jams and song circles. I've met a number of people that way that I've later played with one on one.

Also check out Folkjam.org.

Openmics.org lists open mics. you may not want to do an open mic, but it is an opportunity to find other people that like to play, maybe meet some and invite them over to your house.

Google folk, acoustic, song cirle and jams, see what comes up in your area.

Hang out at Guitar Center.

Check out the Events section of the forum.

This is like job hunting. It's all about networking, as you slowly meet others, then others thru them, your list of players increases.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 PM

If you have someone who does your set ups, talk to him. They have an ear out all the time.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 PM

My band started through a Craigslist ad; our lead guitarist put out a call for musicians and found a couple. Oddly enough, a coworker of mine wears a Gibson hat at work and has found a couple of people at work that play that way. They just walked up and asked "hey, do you play too?" I know there have to be more people that play here, the area has over 100K people and a half dozen music stores but they must be shy or something. Good luck!

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 PM

Default Thank You!

These suggestions are terrific. I will put some time into each one, and my guess is I will be playing with folks in a few months (or sooner).

With appreciation,
Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 AM

Host a jam. Put out some food & beverage and they will come
Advertise it on Craigs List or whatever works locally.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 AM

Default Finding folks to play with

I know it's not the same, but a nice looper lets you play with at least one guitarist you know will show up...
Old 03-27-2013, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrinsdad View Post
6-20 of us have been gathering every Wednesday for about a decade...swap songs, jam, occassional cigar....great guys. worth the drive from Buffalo! {Saratoga County}

You know, I couldn't make it regularly because of the distance and having a house full of kis I love to spend time with but I would like to maybe meet up once in a while. If noting else, it would be nice to meet someone from AGF and I've been known to really enjoy a good cigar

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Any good ideas about how to find folks to play with, other than looking for notices in guitar shops or looking on Craig's List?
Check my signature.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic