The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2009, 10:56 PM

Default Sorry, I'm a humidifier newb. Someone explain the humidity situation to me.

Ok, so I just bought my first exspensive guitar. My recent guitar is a beater, it has no case, it only cost 75$, it just sits in my bed room and chills. I live in California, a little off the coast. I'll soon live in northern california where it is a little hotter. I keep my house at around 68-72 degrees, dont know the humidity. I dont understand what the ideal humidity is for a guitar, and I want to take good care of my new one. So here are my questions.

What is the ideal humidity?
How do i properly look after my guitar? How often do you check it/humidify it?
I plan on using an incase humidifier? Which do you reccomend, how does it work?

I'm looking around online but cant find a simple version of the info. A room humidifier is out of the question....so I am definately looking in case.

Let me know if there is anything else I should know or that I have missed. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 07-31-2009, 11:05 PM
The Foreigner

Here you go:

http://www.larrivee.com/features/humidity.php

I have *too much* humidity where I live, so I'm not familiar with humidifiers, but I often hear talk on the forum of something called a Damp-It (?)
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 07-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Liberty Trio

The reason you humidify is to keep the guitar at the proper moisture (about 50% humidity). If you let it dry out, it could crack and any of several other nasty things.

There are several good in-case humidifiers. I check mine once or twice a week, more if the weather is really dry. If the humidity is over 60%, I take them out.

In an air conditioned house, you have a great need for a humidifier because the A/C sucks the humidity out of the air. In parts of California, if the air is 30%, an A/C can lower it to 20%.

I use an Oasis in one guitar and like it very much. It goes in the sound hole (they also make one which will clip inside the case) and it shrivels so you can tell when it is time to refill it (it comes with a hypodermic).

In another guitar I use a Herco under the neck near the headstock. Once every week or two I have to soak the whole thing in water. This one is a little inconvenient to use because the guitar has to come out of the case. It seems to work though I am planning to get one which I can attach to the case itself so I can leave it in and it won't bang around when I carry the guitar in its case.

I have also used Dampit, and although they work, I am not fond of them.

I am not familiar with it, but Planet Waves also makes one. These did have mold problems and were also known to rust strings, but I think they have fixed both problems.

There are others and all will do the job. Be sure to also get a hygrometer so you can know the humidity inside your case.

The Taylor website has a good video on the importance of keeping your guitar humidified. They recommend Dampit.

'87 Guild GF-30 Bld (blonde)
'89 Seagull S-Black Velvet
'06 R. Taylor Series 1 (koa)
All 3 Taylor Liberty Tree Guitars
2 mandolins, 2 dulcimers, 1 mandola, 2 bodhrans

"It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are."
--Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"
Old 07-31-2009, 11:47 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

From Kevin Ryan's web site...humidity chart/affects;

http://www.ryanguitars.com/NewsandEv...dity_Chart.htm

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 07-31-2009, 11:49 PM

If I’m not mistaken, these are probably the two best case humidifiers:

http://www.oasishumidifiers.com/case.html

http://www.arionmusic.com/index.html

I currently have two of the Oasis humidifiers. (I needed two to get above 40% RH). I put one near the headstock and the other near the body. (Unfortunately, some cases might not be large enough to accommodate one near the body). I’ve used them for 9 months with no issues. I use distilled water (a gallon lasts forever). Instead of the magnets for attaching to the case, I bought some sticky-backed Velcro and they work pretty well.

Oasis now makes the Case Plus+ Humidifier but it wasn’t available when I purchased. I’m still not sure just one near the headstock would do the trick.

http://www.oasishumidifiers.com/caseplus.html

I think if my current humidifiers needed replacement, I would opt for the Arion. No real reason except that they seem less prone to leakage (but I could be wrong). I would still use distilled water, although it says you can use tap water.

geokie8
Old 07-31-2009, 11:55 PM

Ok, thanks for the advice. Here's a pic of my new guitar in its case....I'm somewhat confused on where you put the humidifier. ??? Or would you reccomend one that fits in the sound hole more?

So let me get this straight, I need to buy both a hygrometer and a humidifier, possibly two humidifiers. A guitar wants to constantly be in an environment with 42-55% humidity at room temperature.

How often should I check on the guitar? How often should I refill the humidifier?

Would one of these do the trick?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PLANET-WAVES-ACO...d=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/Planet-Waves-Hum...d=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited by LindsayOfSaturn; 08-01-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayOfSaturn View Post

So let me get this straight, I need to buy both a hygrometer and a humidifier,
Not necessarily.
Quote:
possibly two humidifiers.
Again, not necessarily.
Quote:
A guitar wants to constantly be in an environment with 42-55% humidity at room temperature.
Or there abouts. High 30% to 60, 65% shouldn't harm a guitar.

Quote:
How often should I check on the guitar? How often should I refill the humidifier?
Check in what way? The humidity?
The first time..and then whenever it feels very dry or wet....assuming you have problems with that....which, living where you are going to, there is an excellent chance you don't have to worry about a thing.
You can buy (or borrow) a hygrometer...they are cheap. Put it in the case...leave it for a few hours, see what the humidity reads.

If you need a humidifier and where you live is very dry, you may need two.
If it isn't that bad (around 30-35% I'd guess) one will most likely be enough.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 08-01-2009, 12:32 AM

Ok, I plan on trying to pick this up, http://cgi.ebay.com/Planet-Waves-Hum...d=p3286.c0.m14, of course I will read all the instructions and all. I've read all the info posted, thanks guys. I think I am just making it more complicated than it really is! I plan on leaving the guitar in its case when it isn't being used, checking the humidity often, and hopefully taking the right steps when things are out of balance.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

i live in southern california and it's always between 49 and 59 percent. i suggest a hygrometer since you may not need a humidifier.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
...I think I am just making it more complicated than it really is! .....
Yep.
Really, there aren't too many places in N. California where the humidity or lack thereof is deadly to guitars.
Just take a look at the yearly humidity charts on the area you are moving to on the internet to get an idea of what it tends to run. That will give you a very good idea of whether you may need some humidification or de-humidification.

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 08-01-2009, 01:10 AM

Hmm, this got me thinking about buying one. Just checked the humidity outside and it's 90%! Don't guess I need it.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerstylist View Post
Hmm, this got me thinking about buying one. Just checked the humidity outside and it's 90%! Don't guess I need it.
You could De-tune before your bridge yanks off.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
You could De-tune before your bridge yanks off.
Yep. Seen it happen with high humidity.
The bridge didn't yank off...but it was beginning to separate from the top of the guitar.

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 08-01-2009, 01:44 PM

Hey Lindsay,

I have the Planet Waves Humidity Sensor and Humidifier in all of my guitar they work great (humidifiers when needed). I would recommend you buying the "newer" style humidifier from PW. With the newer style, the lid pops off and there's a sponge insider. You just fill the sponge, pop the lid back on and set in your soundhole between the strings. The older style is the "syringe" type you fill.

Best of luck.
Martin 00-15
Epiphone Hummingbird Artist
Johnson Trailblazer

www.christopherjoel.net
Old 08-01-2009, 06:57 PM

Lindsay,

I live in N. Calif. north of Sacramento. It can get over 110 here with 20% humidity in the summer. I never paid attention to the humidity until I bought my latest guitar. My house humidity has not been below 42% since I started keeping track. It ranges between 42% and 58%. I have forced air heat in the winter, and A/C in the summer. I think normal household stuff like mopping the kitchen floor and boiling spaghetti noodles adds moisture to the house. This morning after having the windows open last night, the humidity was 52%. This evening, after having the A/C on this afternoon, it is 48%. Outside it is 37%.

I would recommend you buy a hygrometer and keep track of the humidity. You may find you don't need a humidifier. If you are moving up near Redding, or in the mountains or foothills, it is drier. If you are going to be closer to the bay area, or wine country, you probably will have higher humidity than I do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion