The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-31-2020, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Buying a used electric (remotely) from GC

What should I ask. This will be my first electric, so I don’t know much about them. Other than dings, what can they tell me?
Old 08-31-2020, 04:57 PM

If it comes with a case or bag. Try to speak with the store manager directly or the person in charge of packing up online orders. Also, maybe the gauge (or approximate) of strings on it, what the action is like, if the pots feel loose, if any control knobs are missing, how the tuning machines function (smoothly or not), if it comes with a trem arm if it has a trem bridge.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:56 PM

Ask if the nut is cut properly. Ask if the neck relief is set properly. Ask if the tuners all work as they should. Ask if the electronics function as they should. Ask if the input jack plate is tight. Ask if intonation is correct. Ask if the frets buzz in any position.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:46 PM

I've learned the hard way to ask if the truss rod works, even on in-person purchases. I ask them to have the tech check it and put it in writing, because they lied about it once. Totally frozen.

I'm amazed that considering how "stable" electrics are compared to acoustics, people still manage to jack up the truss rods. You rarely hear about a frozen, broken, stripped, or "bottomed" out truss rod on an acoustic...
Old 09-01-2020, 04:37 AM
Guitar Gourmet

After years of looking, I consider Guitar Center's used guitar sales site about the worst out there. The pics can't be zoomed up to a reasonable size so you can't really tell anything about the condition of the guitars. There are much better sites including Reverb and Guitar Base where there are good photos and descriptions. Guitar Base is a guitar dealer aggregator that publishes the inventories of dealers who subscribe. Reverb takes listings from individuals and dealers. You have to keep your eyes open a little there.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-01-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
After years of looking, I consider Guitar Center's used guitar sales site about the worst out there. The pics can't be zoomed up to a reasonable size so you can't really tell anything about the condition of the guitars. There are much better sites including Reverb and Guitar Base where there are good photos and descriptions. Guitar Base is a guitar dealer aggregator that publishes the inventories of dealers who subscribe. Reverb takes listings from individuals and dealers. You have to keep your eyes open a little there.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
What should I ask. This will be my first electric, so I don’t know much about them. Other than dings, what can they tell me?
Bob is dead on here, GC is the worst for this. I sure wouldn't make this my first purchase, but you didn't ask for that advice. Personally, I can't think of ANY question you should ask and have any reasonable expectation of getting an informed or honest answer. No insult intended, but it sounds like you need to educate youself some on electrics (try Youtube) then play a few. Then you can make a better decision remotely without needing to rely on the people who want to sell the guitar to you.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob

Agreed - GC offers such little info, that I always call and ask a lot of questions while the guy has the guitar in hand. I am polite and patient, but if the guy doesn't really know how to inspect a guitar, I explain that it is in both our best interest to get someone who can inspect and give proper feedback. I have found them to be very accommodating and the last guitar I bought from them used didn't come with a hard case. The ad said it did, they I called back and they refunded me the price of a case for me to buy on my own.

I have been happy overall in dealing with them, but it definitely takes a bit more effort.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 09-01-2020, 09:37 AM

Have the guitar sent to your local GC for pickup. When it arrives arrange for the manager to open and examine the guitar with you and hang with you while you play it and give it a good look over. Might push for their tech to give it an assessment as well. If you're still a bit anxious, purchase the GC insurance before you leave the store.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Store pickup is best for anything used at GC. You can open the box, look it over, have a friend play it, plug it in and test all the knobs, switches, etc. And, if they have a tech there, ask them to verify the truss rod is not broken. But, even if they don't, once it passes the preliminary, in-store look, you can take it home and check it out thoroughly and play it for a long time and still take it back.

You still have the option to take it back (is it still 180 days?) with home delivery, which may be the only option if you're far from a store, but I'd still make the drive to a store even if it's a day trip.

P.S. Definitely clarify if it has a case by calling the store, and have them take better pictures and send them to you. That's what I've done. Now, they might not do that for a $69 used guitar, but if you're spending a fair amount of money, it should not be a question.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
You still have the option to take it back (is it still 180 days?) with home delivery, which may be the only option if you're far from a store, but I'd still make the drive to a store even if it's a day trip.
I'd recommend having the instrument delivered to the store. In case you do need to return the guitar for any reason, store pickup allows you to return the guitar to the store. If it's delivered to your house, you can't return it to the store. You'd have to pack it yourself and ship it yourself.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:07 PM

I'd never buy used gear - especially electric - from GC other than in-person, and IME it can be a crap shoot even then...
Old 09-02-2020, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone. I've decided to wait until I can go out and try some electrics in person. I've been wanting one for a while and I saw an Eastman 386 at an OK price so I thought I'd just order it to see what it's like. There are quite a few that I'm interested in so, though, so I think I'll just wait until I feel comfortable going out to the stores again.

My list is all over the place,with the Eastman, Fenders, Ibanez, PRS, and Gibson's to try out. I think the shopping is a lot of fun, so I'll hold of and go shopping when I can.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
I'd recommend having the instrument delivered to the store. In case you do need to return the guitar for any reason, store pickup allows you to return the guitar to the store. If it's delivered to your house, you can't return it to the store. You'd have to pack it yourself and ship it yourself.
Huh. The website policy reads a little differently, so I'd say it should be clarified at order time, maybe open a "chat" window and save the conversation to "get it from the horse's mouth," so to speak.

Here's the text from the website (italics mine):
Return in Store to Avoid Shipping Charges
Items purchased in-store or online can be returned to any Guitar Center store. Just bring a copy of your order confirmation email or the packing slip you received with your order. Credit will be issued immediately. If you return your product in-store, you can avoid paying return shipping charges.
P.S. I see on the website it's back to 45 days (for most items), i.e., no more 180 trials.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Here's the text from the website (italics mine):
Return in Store to Avoid Shipping Charges
Items purchased in-store or online can be returned to any Guitar Center store. Just bring a copy of your order confirmation email or the packing slip you received with your order. Credit will be issued immediately. If you return your product in-store, you can avoid paying return shipping charges.
P.S. I see on the website it's back to 45 days (for most items), i.e., no more 180 trials.
I hope I'm wrong and this is indeed the case! I got my interpretation from GC itself (or at least from their call center). I bought a used guitar online and had it delivered to the local GC. When I was setting up a return, the call center person misunderstood and thought I had the guitar delivered to my house directly and he explained that I would get refunded the full amount less shipping. Further, I was told I would have to ship it back to the out-of-state GC that originally carried the guitar. I corrected him, so I was able to drop it off at the GC from where I picked it up.

Maybe their staff was mistaken or maybe the policy's changed, but I hope the policy is as you've quoted. That's definitely more convenient.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
I hope I'm wrong and this is indeed the case! I got my interpretation from GC itself (or at least from their call center). I bought a used guitar online and had it delivered to the local GC. When I was setting up a return, the call center person misunderstood and thought I had the guitar delivered to my house directly and he explained that I would get refunded the full amount less shipping. Further, I was told I would have to ship it back to the out-of-state GC that originally carried the guitar. I corrected him, so I was able to drop it off at the GC from where I picked it up.

Maybe their staff was mistaken or maybe the policy's changed, but I hope the policy is as you've quoted. That's definitely more convenient.
If you have it shipped home, you may not get refunded the shipping charge. I actually don't know if you get that back even if shipped to the store.

Items like a used guitar have a shipping fee even to the store, but their fee is ridiculously low compared to what you'd pay on your own, so taking it to a store is a potentially large savings. I don't know if they can send/sell you a return shipping label at their cost - would be worth asking if you can't use the store return route.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars