The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-02-2010, 07:39 AM

Default D'Addario PB Med -v- DR. Sunbeans

I have never used anything but D'Addario for the past 22 years on my acoustic and electrics. But, I really want to try a set of Sunbeams. I'm just curious, is there a big discernible difference? Not only in sound but in playablility? Do the round cores make a difference-if so what? I have a GS sized koa/spruce. What could I expect to hear with a set of Med. Sunbeams? Thanks
Old 08-02-2010, 07:49 AM

These guys give a pretty good review for them from one of our sponsor's web site:

http://www.maurysmusic.com/dr_sunbea..._todd_s_review

http://www.maurysmusic.com/dr_sunbea..._tony_s_review

I've been using them for a couple years and love 'em.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 08-02-2010, 01:35 PM

very good review. thanks.

somebody on here mentioned an online company that will mix lights and med Sunbeams to make a "bluegrass" set. Any idea what company that is? Strings and beyond?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
I have never used anything but D'Addario for the past 22 years on my acoustic and electrics. But, I really want to try a set of Sunbeams. I'm just curious, is there a big discernible difference? Not only in sound but in playablility? Do the round cores make a difference-if so what? I have a GS sized koa/spruce. What could I expect to hear with a set of Med. Sunbeams? Thanks
I don't find them to be night and day different between the two and I will often have the EJ-16 and Sunbeam .012 - .054 on my guitars or change from one to the other using the Sunbeams most.

The playability and sustain are the things that strike me most. They have just a bit more of a slinky feeling. I could say they may not be as bright when brand new but they're no way dead and all of a sudden I realize they have plenty of life left when other strings would be dead. They also last long for non-coated strings.

I also like them on all of my guitars.

Just remember to wind with care, don't cut early and give them time to settle before making judgments.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
very good review. thanks.

somebody on here mentioned an online company that will mix lights and med Sunbeams to make a "bluegrass" set. Any idea what company that is? Strings and beyond?
I'm guessing that was me.
Contact DR directly. You can arrange to have the strings shipped to whatever local store you choose that stocks DR strings. I contacted the store first.
I would be happy to share the contact info. that I have for the DR Rep. if you want to send me an email
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 08-03-2010, 12:07 AM

Ive always used the Dadarrio PB's on my country western but tried a set of Sunbeams and found a significant difference, mainly for the positive.

Main difference was that the DR's sounded nice and warm straight from the bat, there was no need for a 'playing in' period.

Second they are a little more flexible, although im not sure if thats a big advantage, third they last longer than the Daddarios.

I like both brands a lot, but right now the Sunbeams are starting to get a lot of play across all my guitars.

cheers.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 08-03-2010, 07:03 AM
*mahoganut*

I tried a set of DR Sunbeams on my Baranik coco/blue spruce, and so far do not care for what I've lost on that particular guitar. It has a crystalline *ting* tone (very high overtone?) that was "dampened" or warmed out when I put the DRs on. (Previous strings were D'A PBs).

I've liked Martin SP PBs for a long time, and will try those, and I have a couple of sets of Doyle Dykes and Lawrence Juber GHS's that I will also try.

Just my experience. They do have a slightly softer feel, but what I've lost in the highs I want back.

rr
Old 08-03-2010, 07:32 AM

I'm afraid I'll have to give D'Addario a FAIL as far as customer service is concerned. I was installing a new set of E17s on my Collings D-2HA and the ball end snapped off during tightening. No biggie, any brand will do that sooner or later if you use enough of them. I emailed D'Addario about it but was ignored. I do NOT like that. That's a deal breaker for me. A company that I purchase something from will NOT outright ignore me without consequences.
OTOH, I had a similar experience with a different guitar a couple months earlier while installing John Pearse PB mediums. When I emailed them I got an immediate response. I did send them the broken string and ball end. They not only sent me a replacement string but another brand new set of their (IMHO excellent) PB mediums. Top notch customer service IMHO. John Pearse - 1, D'Addario - zzzip.
To be quite honest I do like D'Addario E17s a lot and have purchased a considerable number of cases of E17s. But after my experience with their customer service vs John Pearse, guess who gets my business now?
I have had a couple sets of DR Sunbeams for awhile and have not tried them yet. But I plan to give them a go next string change. I must say I've not heard anything I like better than John Pearse strings so far. And I've used just about everything. In my experience, they sound superb and last a long time, especially for an uncoated string (I don't care for coated strings). Anyway, that's my story and...

Tom

Last edited by drbluegrass; 08-04-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've been trying various strings lately on a new guitar. I used to use mediums, but switched to lights, and so my comparisons are with light gauge (12-53).

I noticed a bit looser feel with the DR Sunbeams compared to D'Addario, but since all the brands were lights they all seemed easy to fret/bend for me. To me the DRs tone fell somewhere between D'Addario PB and D'Addario 80/20; which to me was good as I feel PBs are too warm/fuzzy on many guitars. The DRs also had a different sustain on the bass; more at a constant level versus a stronger onset; I didn't care for that.

So, I moved on from DRs (tried the Sunbeams and the Rares).

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 AM

I had been a die-hard D'A fan (EJ16s) but just tried the Sunbeams for the first time last night (on an Emerald X7 carbon fiber guitar). They had a very similar feel to the D'As but weren't as shrill when put on brand new. I have to say I like the Sunbeams better. I've also had variability issues with the D'As. I feel like every 2 or 3 sets I get a dud set that just doesn't sound very alive when I put 'em on. The difference is big enough that I'm now eager to try Sunbeams on my Martin dread.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Hi Marley,

I happen to own a GS8 (rosewood/spruce) and I have used D'Addario, Elixir, and DR Sunbeam 13's on this guitar. For the GS8, I personally prefer the DR Sunbeams. My GS8 tends to sound rather brash or harsh with the other strings on it and the Sunbeams seem to mellow it out some. Also, to me there is a real improvement in playability. The Sunbeam round core wound strings really are easier to bend which helps with playability.

In fact, for me, primarily a fingerstyle player, I have moved to using light gauge strings on only the high E and B strings. Kind of a custom "bluegrass" set. The DR people made me up a half dozen sets through Strings & Beyond. This has further improved playability for me without hurting the response from the guitar too much. I have tried light gauge sets several times and keep finding a very disappointing loss in tone and volume, so the best compromise for playability for me has been this custom set with light gauge high E and B strings.

Regards, Glenn
Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 PM
*mahoganut*

I was just considering the other thread that questions the value of this kind of thread ("what strings...?"). And I have to say there is all kinds of info in this thread that I hadn't considered, and which is delivered with great explanations, reasoning, results in descriptive terms that make sense to me, etc.!

So, just thanks to everyone for putting in their $.02, and for making some suggestions (like mixing lights and mediums) that I would not have come up with on my own.

AGF rocks!

rr
Old 08-04-2010, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

From an outsider viewpoint it looks like sunbeams would be good on a bright guitar, especially if you wanted a lighter feeling string. As neither of my guitars are overly bright, and are easy on the fingers with their allready light strings, I see no reason to put sunbeams on the top of my list. If I were playing a koa/spruce or a bright Taylor, or wanted a heavier sounding string, I would be all over them.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 AM

WOW, haven't used D'Addario in a long while but they are a fine string.

Just for tone I think Martin SP's, especially on Martins, are great. But I have oily skin and kill them in a week, even with time shared between a bunch of guitars.

Every coated string I have tried "on Martins" to me slightly dampens/dulls them, and Martins are warm enough without any help..., so no coated strings, any brand, for me.

Been using Sunbeams mostly for maybe 5 years, great playability, like the round core flexibility, nice even middle of the road tone, less low end sizzle than SP's, my one ding on Sunbeams.

Recently tried and like Martin Bluegrass light-mediums (12-56), they give the playability of lights on top, I'm a stringbender, so they are comparable to the Sunbeams in flex being 12's instead of 13's, and still have the low end power with the medium gauge strings. And they have that low end sizzle that Sunbeams don't have quite as much.

I'm really going back and forth between the Sunbeams and Bluegrass light-mediums, tough call.

Maybe I need to try some D'Addarios again too, been a while!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-04-2010, 08:07 AM

well I just ordered 2 sets of DR Sunbeams. A set of med 12-54 and a set of Med/Heavy 13-56. If I need to mix them up I will place a call and get custom sets made for future use.

I'm going to start with the full 13-56 set and see how I like it. Like I said I have been using a mix set of D'As with lights and med (12-16-24-35-45-56) and it has made a world of difference. The straight D'Addario Meds are just too much for my fingers and play.

So, with the round cores and DR Sunbeams in general would anybody say that the Med/Heavy 13-56 could be similar to my mixed set and I may not have to change out the high E or B or even G?

thanks for all of the responses

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion