The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-13-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Well, all I can say is it would really suck to not be at least as good of a guitarist as Ben ha! (in my dreams)

Fact is, I love his style of playing and I think that Da's old Sitka is amazing over just about any wood he uses it with. I really think, as I've said and we all agree, it's partially the wood, but mostly the woodworker that makes this all come together. Put great wood in the hands of a great woodworker and you get tone like this. Put average wood in the hands of a great woodworker and you STILL get pretty darned good results.

Tom, I'm excited for you and your choices. This should be an amazing guitar visually and I think that amazing tone is a "given".
Yes to all of the above. I think in general, one can make assumptions about classes of woods, ie. the Rosewoods vs. the Mahogany types etc., but I think really beyond that it is the builder and then choice comes down to somewhat aesthetics. Even Ben mentions that it is more about the individual piece of wood vs. what the wood is, ie. all is not equal between say all BRW etc. You can have good and bad BRW so it is more about picking a nice individual piece of wood more than what that wood happens to be and then knowing how to build with that wood.

I really think this one will sound like a Wilborn and that my friends is a good thing.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Well, all I can say is it would really suck to not be at least as good of a guitarist as Ben ha! (in my dreams)

Fact is, I love his style of playing and I think that Da's old Sitka is amazing over just about any wood he uses it with. I really think, as I've said and we all agree, it's partially the wood, but mostly the woodworker that makes this all come together. Put great wood in the hands of a great woodworker and you get tone like this. Put average wood in the hands of a great woodworker and you STILL get pretty darned good results.

Tom, I'm excited for you and your choices. This should be an amazing guitar visually and I think that amazing tone is a "given".
Ben seems so nice, he can take your guitar and play the hell out of it, and hand it to you and you wouldn't feel intimidated. I think everyone loves the stories behind the woods used. I wish my dad had a Sitka stash in our old basement! Though I did build one guitar top out of a Douglas fir stair tread he had downstairs. Made that last step a doozy! (just kidding about that last step...)
Old 01-13-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
So my talking with Ben about what I liked in sound including me babbling incoherently for a few minutes with words like sustain, overtones, reverb mixed in between a lot of insignificance. Ben claimed to know at that point what I was looking for (he must be clairvoyant because I did not even know what I said really).

He just finished a guitar that he built to bring to shows and the sound is exactly what I was trying to express. If you have a few minutes listen to this freshly made guitar and see what has me excited:

Just wanted this fun video to follow to next page....for those who may want to watch it.

Thanks Louie: I would love to hear the stair tread guitar someday!!!! I bet it has a step up over other guitars!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Just wanted this fun video to follow to next page....for those who may want to watch it.

Thanks Louie: I would love to hear the stair tread guitar someday!!!! I bet it has a step up over other guitars!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was in the basement, so more like a step down!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:10 PM

Sounds fantastic!!!
Old 01-14-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
It was in the basement, so more like a step down!
Tread lightly Louie, don't be so hard on yourself...Firgiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcgeek View Post
Sounds fantastic!!!
Thank you, that guitar has it IMO.

More progress yesterday....

Kerfed linings being glued and clamped....pretty sure we got a tight fit there...I see Shimpo in the background haha:

kerfing 1.jpg

kerfing.jpg
Old 01-14-2018, 07:46 AM

Sound port reinforcement parts. I like the addition of the black liner as it will show up when the hole is cut and filed and give a more finished look.

side port reinforcement.jpg

Gluing in the side braces:

side braces.jpg

Side braces and sound hole reinforcement all set.

sidebraces and sound port reinforcment.jpg
Old 01-14-2018, 09:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

I can't wait to see this guitar with a finish on it, I have some Honduran RW with the same color I've been waiting to use. Looking good.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Smile Late to the party...

Wow Tom!

I am late to chime in here, but, This is going to be a beauty. Ben's videos are very cool and the guitars sound fantastic. What an interesting and enthusiastic guy he seems to be! And his playing is GREAT.

Way to go Ben! And I am another HRW fan. My two HRW JKs sound as good as any Rosewood guitars I have played. This is going to be a stunner.

Enjoy it!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-14-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
I can't wait to see this guitar with a finish on it, I have some Honduran RW with the same color I've been waiting to use. Looking good.
Thanks Bill, that makes at least 2 of us, probably Ben too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Wow Tom!

I am late to chime in here, but, This is going to be a beauty. Ben's videos are very cool and the guitars sound fantastic. What an interesting and enthusiastic guy he seems to be! And his playing is GREAT.

Way to go Ben! And I am another HRW fan. My two HRW JKs sound as good as any Rosewood guitars I have played. This is going to be a stunner.

Enjoy it!

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul I appreciate that. The sound is very Kinnairdish, but maybe with a little more brightness if that makes any sense. I know you would like it, but no bevels hahahahahaha...

Tom
Old 01-15-2018, 04:04 PM

After the big reveal of Mike's beautiful guitar, Ben is back to work on the more important build!!!

First trimming the braces all while taking a picture and keeping a nice clean nail, now that is talent!

trimming braces.jpg

Linings trimmed to accept aforementioned back braces.

back braces all set.jpg

Recruitment of an army of drone clamps to duty:

clamps.jpg
Old 01-15-2018, 04:07 PM

Back and sides meet and greet:

gluing back.jpg

Clamp army attacks and back and sides meet for a permanent (hopefully) bonding experience. Hopefully no trust falls are undertaken....

gluing back 2.jpg
Old 01-15-2018, 07:55 PM

Ben has to do something I guess while waiting for glue to dry, so he started working on the neck and the headstock:

Getting the trussrod in place:

trussrod temp placement.jpg

Beginning to shape the neck:

beginning neck shape.jpg

Volute:

volute.jpg
Old 01-15-2018, 07:58 PM

Headstock veneers: The cocobolo is book matched for a really nice look (IMO):

veneers for headstock.jpg

Veneers for back of headstock bent to match the previous mentioned volute:

back veneers bent.jpg
Old 01-16-2018, 03:43 AM
Music soothes the soul!

How do you catch your breath? This man works at a fever pitch!

Love that Coco headplate. Beautimus!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop