The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-08-2017, 11:14 PM

Default a few simple questions

these are a few simple questions that I can't find the answer to anywhere.

whats the ideal fret height and width for somebody who uses classical technique on an acoustic, who with that technique also plays constant changing bar chords with fast riffs in between?

if it is indeed short frets, how do I compensate the bridge saddle without getting fret buzz? (vice versa for tall frets and buzzing/intonation)

i like a real conftorable/playable neck, as well as volume and knowing that the saddle contributes to majority of the action as well as loudness, how do I get both low action and good volume?

how should I shape the saddle? I see many different shapes, a raise on the b string, sometimes a cut off on the low end, I'm looking for clear distinctive voicings.

how do I measure the fret height after beveling it?

and one last one, how do I measure the fret slot for the Tang to fit in?

thank you
some extra info about the guitar I'm working with:
art lutherie parlor size Ami cedar (back, front and sides)
Old 12-09-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingIgneous View Post
these are a few simple questions that I can't find the answer to anywhere.

whats the ideal fret height and width for somebody who uses classical technique on an acoustic, who with that technique also plays constant changing bar chords with fast riffs in between?

if it is indeed short frets, how do I compensate the bridge saddle without getting fret buzz? (vice versa for tall frets and buzzing/intonation)

i like a real conftorable/playable neck, as well as volume and knowing that the saddle contributes to majority of the action as well as loudness, how do I get both low action and good volume?

how should I shape the saddle? I see many different shapes, a raise on the b string, sometimes a cut off on the low end, I'm looking for clear distinctive voicings.

how do I measure the fret height after beveling it?

and one last one, how do I measure the fret slot for the Tang to fit in?

thank you
some extra info about the guitar I'm working with:
art lutherie parlor size Ami cedar (back, front and sides)
These questions do not have simple answers.

1st: Fret height... This is MOSTLY player preference. If you have not defined your own preference, stick with standard (about 1.0mm tall when installed and finished).

2nd: What do you want to bevel...?? Fret ends are usually bevelled, but this is NOT the playing surface.

3rd: If you want low action and big volume, you are hoping to find a wild goose. In general, when you lower the action you lose volume headroom and lower the threshold where buzzing occurs.

4th: I am Canadian and love to support our Canadian made guitars. But don't expect an AL brand guitar to sound big and robust. They are fine student and entry level instruments, but you won't get a concert tone from these guitars.

5th: I would suggest a medium (standard) action: about 1.9mm high E and 2.25mm low e. For classical players on a steel string, it is often best to choose an instrument with a wide neck and wide string spacing. There are limits to the maximum width of string spacing on a given neck. Perhaps your guitar has room to replace the nut and widen the string spacing without risking pushing the strings of the edge of the fretting surface.

Hope this helps...

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair