The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-12-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fingers View Post
Nothing to add but thanks! We see so many super-complicated, bling-y builds that it's a real pleasure to see guitars like yours that are extraordinarily detailed but in a non-ostentatious, organic and unified way. Personally, I like every one of your choices very much -- including the use of French Polish, which in my experience is the most musical and most beautiful finish. Wonderful, inspiring work!
Hello,

Thank you so much for your detailed praise! It's nice to hear that because that's what I'm going for--refined but letting the natural drama of the wood play itself out.

Best,

Chris
Old 09-12-2017, 10:09 PM

Almost done bracing this top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2421.jpg (41.9 KB, 282 views)
Old 09-15-2017, 08:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Chris, I would love to play these guitars and hear what your hybrid bracing is yielding. I have had the opportunity to play one Elliott steel string and it was impressive, especially in the bottom end.
I love that Amboyna rosette, it's beautiful!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-15-2017, 06:41 PM

Steve,

Thanks for taking a look! The open harmonic bars on the classical version really help the low end, especially as the body size gets smaller it seems to have a big impact versus closing the bars. It's harder for me to evaluate on steel because I've never done anything else.

One other feature I wonder about in regards to your comment is the slimmer sides compared to a 00 or 000, combined with a slightly more mobile back. In theory this would increase the power of the bass reflex couple and could give more low end. That's maybe counter intuitive because deeper sides lower the air resonance a little bit which can give more low end, but it also weakens the coupling with the back which is important for bass production to a degree.

You're welcome to come by anytime if you're in the area and visit!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 09-15-2017, 07:50 PM

Exclamation ¡ Your Guitars & Build Pics !

- ¡ WOW ! -

I am into rosewoods & have two , one a single cut-a-way Madagascar & the other Cocobolo ,
both are dreads & Washburns , both have solid sitka spruce tops and mahogany necks .

Any sound bites/videos of these fine pieces of artisan craftmanship .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Last edited by Hurricane Ramon; 09-15-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE Sobel View Post
Steve,

Thanks for taking a look! The open harmonic bars on the classical version really help the low end, especially as the body size gets smaller it seems to have a big impact versus closing the bars. It's harder for me to evaluate on steel because I've never done anything else.

One other feature I wonder about in regards to your comment is the slimmer sides compared to a 00 or 000, combined with a slightly more mobile back.

You're welcome to come by anytime if you're in the area and visit!

Cheers,

Chris
Well, the Elliott (steel string) I had the opportunity of playing was a dread. Which was surprising that he would build one. Probably quite rare. It was some time ago, and I'm trying to remember the sound. I'm afraid the nuances of its tone are lost to me, but again--I'll never forget that lower end.

Thanks for the invitation, as anyplace in Washington sounds appealing.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-15-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post
- ¡ WOW ! -

I am into rosewoods & have two , one a single cut-a-way Madagascar & the other Cocobolo ,
both are dreads & Washburns , both have solid sitka spruce tops and mahogany necks .

Any sound bites/videos of these fine pieces of artisan craftmanship .

EZ :

HR
Hi there,

Your guitars sound really nice! I love Madagascan rosewood and have a huge stash of it... Brazilian as well.

I'll post some sound clips at the end of the build thread; sometime in December.

Thanks for looking,

Chris
Old 09-15-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post

Thanks for the invitation, as anyplace in Washington sounds appealing.

Steve
For sure, it's just so lush and green here.

Chris
Old 09-18-2017, 11:56 PM

Time to button up the Redwood!

Here are some pictures of the inside before putting the back on. The side splints on this one are spruce instead of Blackwood on the Sitka, and the endblock is mahogany and maple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0194 (3).jpg (338.6 KB, 215 views)
Old 09-19-2017, 02:58 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Very unique! Nice clean work! Can't wait to hear the tone it produces.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:03 AM

That is a very different bracing pattern for sure...I wish I could play that one and compare to my others! The workmanship looks really good btw....thanks for posting.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
One other feature I wonder about in regards to your comment is the slimmer sides compared to a 00 or 000, combined with a slightly more mobile back. In theory this would increase the power of the bass reflex couple and could give more low end. That's maybe counter intuitive because deeper sides lower the air resonance a little bit which can give more low end, but it also weakens the coupling with the back which is important for bass production to a degree.
Yes, the early 20th century Larsons .. usually 3 7/8" deep at the end block for the 00 and 000 models .. used ~ .75" wide/flat braces in the bridge area. This created a noticeably projective, trampoline effect for the bass presence that belies the fairly shallow depth.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerfan View Post
Yes, the early 20th century Larsons .. usually 3 7/8" deep at the end block for the 00 and 000 models .. used ~ .75" wide/flat braces in the bridge area. This created a noticeably projective, trampoline effect for the bass presence that belies the fairly shallow depth.
Thanks for the info! Being less informed about steel string history than I am of Classical, I did some reading and research on the brothers. I listened to a few models, including a 1930 that had a side depth of only 3.25". It definitely had some bass to it and overall had a really nice sound. I'd love to get one at some point but I imagine they are pricey now!

Thanks,

Chris
Old 09-19-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That is a very different bracing pattern for sure...I wish I could play that one and compare to my others! The workmanship looks really good btw....thanks for posting.
Hi Tom,

I would be happy to send you a shop demo guitar for a week that you can check out, once I build a couple to keep in inventory next year. No pressure at all to buy anything; I do it from time to time if someone wants to check out an instrument. I'm going to build one 00.5 and one 000.5 but the same overall bracing and design. I'll hopefully do another build thread for them so you should reach out to me at that time.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 09-20-2017, 10:03 AM

Chris .. you may have already seen this .. if not, its a good read about the early fan-braced Martins.

http://www.earlymartin.com/fanbraces.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop