The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-25-2016, 08:34 AM

I had a beautiful new 410e last year that I played for several months before selling it. The wood is visually beautiful. I would consider it to sound right smack in the middle of Mahogany and Rosewood. However, the human ear is designed to be more sensitive to the midrange. As such, I heard mostly midrange. So, Wade is onto something when he compares it to Koa. It could be considered "wider Koa", "beefed up mahogany", or "mid rangey rosewood." As a rosewood lover, I did not like Ovangkol as much as I thought I might. This is especially true on a dreadnought. Most rosewood lovers like the scooped nature of that wood. So, Ovangkol doesn't always fit that mold. On a fingerstyle guitar Ovangkol might be more appealing.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:55 AM
AGF Administrator

I've owned a couple 400 series Taylors and to me the ovangkol split the difference between rosewood and mahogany. As such, it seemed generally unremarkable to me and I ultimately parted with the guitars.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:03 AM

Fair enough Jeremy, but one man's unremarkable is another man's versatile.
If you are having trouble deciding between rosewood or mahogany, ovangkol seems to split the difference nicely.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
If you are having trouble deciding between rosewood or mahogany, ovangkol seems to split the difference nicely.
Mine's strictly an accompaniment guitar, which it does nicely - doesn't get in the way of a lead instrument, nor does it call attention to itself against vocals; seems lotsa folks seek out Gibson Hummingbirds for much the same reason...
Old 08-25-2016, 11:16 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Agreed. That was just my personal impression of it.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:08 PM

Funny thing is that, to my ears, I find ovangkol as "juiced mahogany" more than a "rosewood with less downward scoop." I had, at one time, a Cedar/RW OM guitar and a Sitka/Mahogany dreadnought. I found the 414 just a bit closer in tone to my dreadnought than my OM, as in the OM sounded really dark, the dreadnought sounded quite dry. There was more dryness than darkness with the ovangkol.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 08-25-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl49 View Post
fair enough jeremy, but one man's unremarkable is another man's versatile.
if you are having trouble deciding between rosewood or mahogany, ovangkol seems to split the difference nicely.
+5 .
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 08-26-2016, 04:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Mine's strictly an accompaniment guitar, which it does nicely - doesn't get in the way of a lead instrument, nor does it call attention to itself against vocals; seems lotsa folks seek out Gibson Hummingbirds for much the same reason...
I wouldn't go as far as to say strictly but my McAlister has a very rounded and warm sound when fingerpicked that is great for accompaniment. I wouldn't want to make a hog/rose comparison. I like the sound a lot. The first time I played the guitar, not knowing what it was made of, I liked it a lot and wanted to buy it.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 08-26-2016, 04:21 AM
Charter Member

Used to have a Lakewood (Germany) OM in Cedar and Ovangkol. I preferred it to the Martin J-40 I had at the same time.

Both long gone !
Old 08-26-2016, 05:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to say strictly but my McAlister has a very rounded and warm sound when fingerpicked that is great for accompaniment. I wouldn't want to make a hog/rose comparison. I like the sound a lot. The first time I played the guitar, not knowing what it was made of, I liked it a lot and wanted to buy it.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 08-26-2016, 06:07 AM

It's easier to answer the question if it's asked this way: Is rosewood closer in tone to Ovangkol, or is mahogany closer?

Mahogany is closer, to my ears--especially in the low end frequencies.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:11 AM

Default Perception or reality of bass

This comparison of RW/Ovangkol/HOG makes me wonder if the increased bass in RW is real or perception due to scooped mids? Since it has a tonal spectrum of Ovangkol but Ovangkol resembles Mahogany more to some, is it because of more mids? Does we just hear or miss bass due to the lack or boost of mids?
Old 08-26-2016, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

it really has its own distinct sound. I have never found one I wanted to buy but the Martin posted by Wade sure looks nice.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
it really has its own distinct sound. I have never found one I wanted to buy but the Martin posted by Wade sure looks nice.
I am sure it does have a distinct sound, like all the many other tonewoods not Rosewood or Mahogany, yet apparently just about everything is only ever "somewhere between Rosewood and Mahogany".
Old 08-26-2016, 11:24 AM

I think of it as extended range mahogany. Does not have that "mid scoop" of rosewood, or as much in overtone shimmer. It's actually perfect for how I play, that's why my fave flattop i own is a Taylor 414ce.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
back and sides, mahogany, ovangkol, rosewood, tonewood