The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2015, 01:04 PM

Default Martin Custom Shop OM28 and D28

Hey Everyone!
I just joined the forum and this is my first post, but I have been lurking quietly in the background for years reading and researching many topics… which have ultimately led to my recent purchases of 2 very nice Martin Custom Shop Guitars. These weren’t custom made for me, but rather, after trying, buying and then selling lots of different makes and models… I finally found (and hope to keep) these two for a very long time. Their particular tone-wood combinations and specs just work perfectly for me and my playing style and I attempted to capture their sound with some recent recordings/videos I made (see below).

A little background… I’ve been playing guitar for about 20+ years… mostly self-taught and I certainly don’t have the best technique or chops, but I’m always learning and trying to improve my playing. I also have a nice home recording studio… audio recording is one of my main passions I’ve sunk myself into for the better part of the last 10 years, but again mostly self-taught and still always learning and trying to improve my ear and my skill set.

When researching these guitars… I found it extremely difficult to find good quality recordings of anything online. There’s a ton of stuff out there, but most of it with crappy camera audio or just bad mic placements (that can totally change the sound of the instrument, etc.) So once I got these guitars, I wanted to try to create recordings that did them some justice. Not sure if I achieved that, but hopefully these are an attempt in the right direction. There’s SO many variables in audio recording that can effect the sound (microphones, preamps, compression, EQ, mixing techniques.) I tried to keep it pretty basic, but it’s certainly not a perfectly “neutral” recording.

I’m using a 3-mic set-up, all capturing the sound at the same time. I have the mics panned in the recording hard left, hard right and center. This just basically widens the overall stereo image. I used very little EQ to just cut out some problem frequencies that are often a result of the microphones picking up the room sound. Other than that, just overall level balancing in the mix. One thing to note is that I’m using alternate tunings in all these recordings because those were just the tunes I was working on at the time. But I do intend to make more videos/recordings in the near future using standard tunings as well.

Not sure how to embed the videos in this post, but I'll give it a try and put the links in as well. (Change to higher HD settings for better sound and video quality).

Here’s the 2013 Martin Custom Shop OM-28
(Premium/Certified High-Altitude Swiss Spruce Top, Sinker Mahogany Back and Sides, Adirondack 1/4” scalloped bracing, 1.75” bone nut, bone saddle and bridge pins)
http://youtu.be/tGYSnD0wfJU

Here’s the 2013 Martin Custom Shop D-28
(Adirondack Spruce Top, Madagascar Rosewood Back and Sides, Full Hide Glue Construction, Adirondack scalloped bracing, 1.75” bone nut, bone saddle, ebony bridge pins)
http://youtu.be/I68Rt0TkSWw
http://youtu.be/h0I-Age6x-w

I hope these videos/recordings might be helpful for anyone else interested in these or similar models and tone woods… and I hope my playing isn’t as bad as I think it is sometimes…

Cheers everyone and thanks for all the anonymous advice over the years!

Here’s my YouTube Channel in case anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...jN6qTe7CoTQ7cr

Last edited by SMB Recordings; 01-22-2015 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Trying to embed YouTube Videos
Old 01-22-2015, 01:54 PM

Nice tunes, sweet guitars. Thanks for a super first contribution.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:01 PM

Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to read and listen ;-).
Cheers.

Last edited by SMB Recordings; 01-22-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:25 PM

Very nice playing and recording.

And the guitars weren't bad either

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:46 PM

Thanks, much appreciated!
Old 01-22-2015, 03:38 PM

Can't listen while I'm here at work, but I sure would like to see the back on that Madagascar D-28!

I'll listen tonight.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:52 PM

Very nice!
Old 01-22-2015, 05:06 PM

Default Two words

Wow.

Welcome.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:50 PM

Really beautiful playing and a couple spectacular guitars!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:51 PM

Nice.

Thanks man and welcome.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:21 PM

Default Some Pics

Thanks everyone for the replies! I do appreciate it. I thought I'd add some pics of the guitars to better show the back and side woods.

Here's the D28 with Madagascar Rosewood:

Here's the OM28 with Sinker Mahogany:

The D28 has a wider grain Adirondack Spruce top. The grain seems to get a little tighter towards the center. The top also has the yellow'd toner on it which I guess gives it an older look. The wood has an almost exotic sweetness to the smell... makes me smile every time I open the case ;-). This guitar has deep bass response, sparkling highs and is loud. There's more contrast between the lows and highs maybe due to a little bit of a scooped mid-range sound. This is now the only dreadnaught I own...

The OM28 has a really tight grain Swiss Spruce top and the Sinker Mahogany back and sides almost looks like it has a texture to it. Definitely the most interesting Mahogany on a guitar I've ever owned... and something about the way this one sounds to me... man... it's just amazing... not sure if it's the top or the sides or both... but it has such overall balance and a very punchy response to every note. It's not as loud as the D28, but certainly not lacking in any way... I might even favor this one a bit because of the smaller body. I love the story about Sinker Mahogany too... whether or not this one came from the bottom of a Belizian river and is hundreds of years old... I have no idea... but sure makes it feel special to me...

Both of these guitars have Martin's Modified Low Oval with Performing Artist (PA) Taper Neck. I love the neck and it's so comfortable and easy to play on even with a 1.75" nut... I don't feel any fatiguing.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:02 PM

Hello. I enjoyed your post because I am a Martin guitar fan also and have a similar history to yours. I have been buying and selling and trading Martins for years in search of that perfect sound and look. It seems you have succeeded. I currently have a current 000-18 and a 000-17SM and I am having a difficult time deciding whether to buy an Elderly custom D-28 or the new Martin OM-28 or the 2012 OM-21. The Elderly custom D-28 is constructed like the HD-28 but with a wider neck at the nut and without the Herringbone. By the way, I think your OM is an 18, not a 28. 28s are constructed of rosewood while 18s are made of mahogany. That's really nice looking mahogany on yours; I can't really tell the difference in sound between mahogany and rosewood. Except for the boominess do you notice a lot of difference in sound or responsiveness when comparing yours? Thanks!
Old 01-24-2015, 01:43 PM

Nice playing & recording.

It seems like that would be an OM-18, though.

28=rosewood
18=mahogany
Old 01-24-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpicker View Post
Hello. I enjoyed your post because I am a Martin guitar fan also and have a similar history to yours. I have been buying and selling and trading Martins for years in search of that perfect sound and look. It seems you have succeeded. I currently have a current 000-18 and a 000-17SM and I am having a difficult time deciding whether to buy an Elderly custom D-28 or the new Martin OM-28 or the 2012 OM-21. The Elderly custom D-28 is constructed like the HD-28 but with a wider neck at the nut and without the Herringbone. By the way, I think your OM is an 18, not a 28. 28s are constructed of rosewood while 18s are made of mahogany. That's really nice looking mahogany on yours; I can't really tell the difference in sound between mahogany and rosewood. Except for the boominess do you notice a lot of difference in sound or responsiveness when comparing yours? Thanks!
Before I ended up finding these 2 guitars, I only owned Dreadnaughts. Not sure why... just always thought that was the "standard" acoustic guitar shape and size. But everything changed for me when I started trying and buying "000" size. I originally had a nice Martin 000-45, but it had the shorter scale length neck and I was just never comfortable on it. Sold that one and found this OM... same body size, but longer scale length. It's really hard to compare a Dread to an OM/000 because they are different sounds altogether as I'm sure you know. It seems like you already have several 000 size, so maybe getting a Dread will give you more variety in sound. But that's why I like this OM so much because (to me), it might not be as loud as the dread, but it still has a lot of projection, plenty of volume and is a little more balanced and responsive. Sometimes dreads can be too boomy or have too much bass, but it all depends on playing style, etc. I now play a lot more fingerstyle and have 3 000 size guitars because they feel more comfortable to hold and play.

To me (and this of course is subjective), I've always found Mahogany guitars to be a little bit darker sounding (in a good way), maybe an overall "warmer" tone. This OM is so responsive, but I think that also has something to do with the Top wood and also the bracing. The rosewood guitars I've had have always sounded a little bit brighter and maybe a little deeper lows and higher highs with a less balanced midrange if that makes sense.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
It seems like that would be an OM-18, though.

28=rosewood
18=mahogany
Yes, I too was wondering the reasoning for the 28 reference. OP, can you please expound?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
adirondack, madagascar rosewood, martin custom shop d28, martin custom shop om28, sinker mahogany