The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 01-02-2015, 08:22 AM

Default FS: Collings OM3 Deep Body Walnut G SS SB (Custom) - *SOLD*

*SOLD*

I purchased this custom ordered (by me) Collings OM3 Deep Body Walnut G SS SB from Hill Country Guitars on February 25, 2014. Its retail/list price was $7,000, and I paid $6,300. I have been the only owner of this guitar, and taken great care of it–it only has some very light wear from using a pick, otherwise it’s in excellent/perfect condition. It has been kept in its case when not in use and stored in a humidified environment (45-50% humidity).

This is an amazing guitar, and is hard for me to part with. I am only selling it because I want to finance/offset a custom order I placed with Froggy Bottom. I designed this guitar to have as much of a “dreadnought/larger-body” sound, in a more comfortable smaller-body form, and it really delivers. The deep body adds more depth and air to the already clear, articulate, and balanced Collings OM sound, yet is still very comfortable to play and hold. I believe the Walnut back and sides, sits in between Rosewood and Mahogany, providing a great balance of the fundamental tone and overtones, as well as a full/rich tone with some woodenness to it. It holds up perfectly for flat picking, strumming, and is incredibly responsive for finger style. It really is a very special OM.

Custom Order Based on an OM3:
  • German Spruce top
  • Walnut back/sides
  • Deep Body
  • No tongue brace
  • 24.875” scale length
  • 1 3/4” nut width with the standard OM3 Modified V neck profile and 2 3/16" string spacing
  • Style-2 Sunburst top (*the actual color is more tobacco/amber, and does not appear as cherry/red as the pictures reflect–it’s hard to photograph the color perfectly)
  • Tortoise body, fingerboard, and peghead binding
  • Custom pegged flourish
  • Clean and clear fretboard (no fretboard inlays, however, side dots still remain)
  • Gold Waverly tuners
  • Dalmatian pickgaurd
  • Setup/action (lowered for easy playability) and bridge pins upgraded to Buffalo Horn from Bob Colosi (original bridge pins included in case)
  • Original hard case included

*SOLD*
Bourgeois: The Banjo Killer–Slope D (Custom); Collings: CJ Mh A SS SB (Custom); Froggy Bottom: F-14 Deluxe (Custom), SJ Deluxe; Gibson: Jackson Browne Signature Model 1 Ltd.; Huss & Dalton CM-12 Non-Cutaway (Custom); Jason Kostal: MD (Custom); Kevin Kopp: K-50; Martin: 000-42 Guatemalan (Custom), D-45; Santa Cruz: D-12 Fret (Custom), Tony Rice Signature (Custom)

Last edited by schurch; 05-08-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:50 AM

Selfishly, I hope no one grabs this and I can steal it for a lower price in a couple of months. I have a Collings OM2HG, and it plays wonderfully. The German top adds a lot of sweetness to the tone. I have a Webber jumbo with oak back and sides, and based on that, oak is becoming one of my favorite tone woods. So as I imagine a Collings in oak/German, with a short scale and a deep body....OMG. And OMG again!

Where is the guitar located? Are you OK with folks coming to see it/hear it in person?
Old 01-02-2015, 02:18 PM

Hi Rich,

I agree, this is my only guitar with a German top (although I had a couple others in the past), and I really like it too. I feel like it has a lot of what Adi has to offer in tone, with more sweetness and responsiveness (and without a long break-in). I think it lends itself to being a great all-arounder tone wood. I have never played/heard an Oak guitar, but that does sound interesting. And yes, I love the OM's in short scale...love the growl, slap, and playability/comfort that it provides.

...although, I wouldn't hold your breath on a lower price ;-)

Cheers,
Scott
Bourgeois: The Banjo Killer–Slope D (Custom); Collings: CJ Mh A SS SB (Custom); Froggy Bottom: F-14 Deluxe (Custom), SJ Deluxe; Gibson: Jackson Browne Signature Model 1 Ltd.; Huss & Dalton CM-12 Non-Cutaway (Custom); Jason Kostal: MD (Custom); Kevin Kopp: K-50; Martin: 000-42 Guatemalan (Custom), D-45; Santa Cruz: D-12 Fret (Custom), Tony Rice Signature (Custom)
Old 01-02-2015, 06:10 PM

Was thinking "walnut", wrote "oak". Too little caffeine. My Webber has Walnut back and sides like this Collings you have for sale.

RE: not lowering the price of your Collings: . I certainly understand however. I'm imagining your Collings is a dream/Grail guitar, and worth every penny (and then some).

I can still dream....

Where is your guitar located? Just in case...

Last edited by buddyhu; 01-02-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:39 PM

Hi Rich,

I think Walnut is kind of unappreciated. It really is a great tone wood, and I love the way it looks. It was a Jackson Browne model from Gibson that got me introduced to it :-) I am in Broomfield, CO (Denver Metro). If you are ever nearby your welcome to come check it out :-)

Cheers,
Scott
Old 01-03-2015, 08:12 AM

Listed on Reverb.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:53 AM

Price reduced.

Last edited by schurch; 02-07-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:04 AM

This wouldn't happen to be a VN neck would it? I am looking for a really nice OM but really want the 2 5/16 at the bridge, which to me is the most important measurement on the guitar.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie2blue View Post
This wouldn't happen to be a VN neck would it? I am looking for a really nice OM but really want the 2 5/16 at the bridge, which to me is the most important measurement on the guitar.
The nut width is 1-3/4", but otherwise it's their standard OM3 Modified V neck profile with 2 3/16" string spacing.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:57 AM

Why on earth is this guitar still here? Such a special instrument. If hadn't JUST bought a Huss and Daltom 000 I would surely grab this quick.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHC View Post
Why on earth is this guitar still here? Such a special instrument. If hadn't JUST bought a Huss and Daltom 000 I would surely grab this quick.
Thanks for that :-) I love Huss & Dalton, they make some amazing instruments (I enjoy my CM-12 fret regularly). Congrats on the 000--would love to play one of those some day.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:11 AM

How much deeper is the body?
2016 Collings CJ 35 FS - $3,600 shipped and PP

-----------------------
May be so... May not be so...

www.solomonrossfurniture.com
Old 02-09-2015, 03:36 AM
Charter Member

What a beautiful guitar! Great wood combo, I have a walnut guitar with Italian top and the sound is magical. And as the happy owner of a deep bodied OM by another builder I can speak highly of the versatility of that body spec.

Wish I had some spare money ; best of luck with the sale.

Col
Old 02-09-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rps2rduc View Post
How much deeper is the body?
The deep body on a Collings OM measures 4 5/8" deep :-)
Old 02-09-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
What a beautiful guitar! Great wood combo, I have a walnut guitar with Italian top and the sound is magical. And as the happy owner of a deep bodied OM by another builder I can speak highly of the versatility of that body spec.

Wish I had some spare money ; best of luck with the sale.

Col
Thanks Col, I appreciate the nod :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
adirondack, collings om, custom, size, walnut