The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-28-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
The D'addario EXP's if you want to stay with coated strings, are not as bright sounding as Elixers.
I don't know what style you play, but if you use a pick get a thick pick with a rounded edge ( no point ) that will really mellow the tone. Something like a Blue Chip SR 60 .
Good luck.
I play finger style and with a pick too. I use thick wooden picks, they are the best in my opinion
Old 11-28-2014, 12:33 AM
Guest 1511

This is why I play guitars before buying them. Each one can be so different. You always take a chance buying a guitar before you play it. Maybe it will sound better in 6 months, in 2 years, 5 years and maybe it won't. Maybe you'll get used to it. Maybe you won't.

It's a gorgeous guitar. Keep it just for the looks and buy something else you like that sounds better and play that instead. I know that personally, I'd go stark raving insane if I had a guitar that didn't sound good to me. I'd return it, 100% guaranteed I would. It could be the prettiest guitar in the world and I'd take it back if the tone stunk. That's me though, I'm too finicky for my own good. Still, I know that looks matter. Looks matter to me too: I love a pretty guitar, but it has to sound good first and foremost otherwise it's not going to do its job properly.

Here's the thing, if you're really adaptable you'll get used to it and learn to live with it. In which case, don't return it. If you're finicky about tone you're in trouble and this guitar is going to prey on your mind and invade your sleep until you do something about it. If that sounds like you, return it now and get something else that is just as pretty and sounds better. But don't do any of this until you try different strings. Who knows, maybe they'll make a big difference on that guitar after all. personally I hate Elixir strings and would throw those away first thing out of the box.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:57 AM

I haven't read all the responses here, so I hope my 2 bits worth isn't too redundant.

First off, I'm sure the issue of seasoning has come up...I concur that any brand new solid wood guitar is going to need a lot of playing and just plain old time to season and come into its own. Keep it out of the case as much as practical, being mindful of the humidity.

I also would never put mediums on a Taylor unless the axe was going to be tuned down to one of the open tunings...they're just going to pull on the top too much and stop it from resonating. I seem to recall that Taylor specifically advises against it and you may even damage the guitar if you give it a steady diet of mediums. Most Taylors just aren't built or rated for that much tension.

You might try a set of phosphor bronze elixir lights. I've found that the warmer, rounder tone of the phosphors tames that jangle quite nicely; I had a similar issue with my 412k but it sounds very sweet with the phosphors.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:16 AM

Like MaxtheAxe, I have not read the whole thread either.

But there are some strings that are less metallic sounding than others. I know some folks who play Taylors who use very different strings than I use on my Breedloves. Taylors do have a reputation of being overly bright sometimes. So the Cleartones sound great on my guitars but not on many Taylors.

To my ears, bronze wound strings sound less metallic than PB. Silk and Steel strings may be something to try. The Monel strings may also be worth looking into.

In general, I have had more luck buying guitars I have put my hands on first as opposed to guitars I buy over a great distance because I like the idea of them. But I'll bet with some playing-in time and cycling through some different strings, you will be feeling better and better.

You also may want to make sure you are listening to the guitar from the front as someone else plays it. Whole other world out there as opposed to playing it yourself.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:40 AM

Okay... Here's what I'd do. Get a pack of strings like Martin SP, and see if the tone changes enough that you could fine tune it with strings later on. If it still sounds metallic, you're probably hearing the guitar's baseline personality, and further string changes will have a minor effect.

I have had great success tweaking a steel string guitar by changing string types and brands, but never heard one sound completely different. Classical guitars seem to responD more dramatically to string changes.

I knew two guys that ran a very high end guitar shop. They're preferred method for opening up a stiff top was to pass it around for 30 minutes, playing open chords with vigor.

P.S. If you can, have someone else play the guitar. I've played guitars that didn't respond well to my attack, but sounded completely different in someone else's hands. That's not to say you're not a good player....
Old 11-28-2014, 11:23 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am actually quite touched by all the support and good advice from fellow guitar players on this forum. That's why I keep coming back!

I orded John Pearce light string which will be arriving on Monday. I'll give those babies a try.

Here's a clip of an identical Taylor 514ce WW I found online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkK8tlM3rOQ
Old 11-28-2014, 05:50 PM

Smile

When I bought my 514e FLTD last year I compared it to the 514ce WW and chose the FLTD for the tuners and overall looks. While the FLTD sound is slightly softer than the WW I thought the WW sounded great. I totally agree that Adi tops need to be played to bring out the best. My Eastman E20om is sounding better daily. If you don't like the sound though, send it back.
2015 Martin D-28A 1937
2016 Taylor 458e-r
Old 11-28-2014, 05:57 PM

I'm perfectly happy with my Martin LifeSpan Phosphorus Bronze Custom Light strings.

Beautiful guitar but please trim those strings now before you poke somebody's eye out !!!!! Maybe even your own !!!!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 11-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

I just read you had Elixirs on. That is probably a big part of the problem. EXPs or plain old d'addarios would sound warmer.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:59 PM

Suggest trying some 80/20 light gauge for a day and hear how the guitar really sounds. If you don't like it after that send it back.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 11-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post

I also would never put mediums on a Taylor unless the axe was going to be tuned down to one of the open tunings...they're just going to pull on the top too much and stop it from resonating. I seem to recall that Taylor specifically advises against it and you may even damage the guitar if you give it a steady diet of mediums. Most Taylors just aren't built or rated for that much tension
Mine has had mediums on it for 19 years. It sounds and plays great. I doubt that's the issue here.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Before getting carried away on stings

A new set of Elixir strings, especially the 80/20, will have a bright sound for the first couple of hours of play. After that they will "mellow" out considerably. I keep a set of already broken-in strings just for that situation. Give the strings time to play in. Nano coated will be a bit brighter than Polyweb.

Having had several Adirondack / mahogany guitars I can confirm that in general while that combination will have great clarity of notes, it will also not have much in the way of overtones and will have that "built in reverb" effect. Add that to being a Taylor and you get a bright sound.

Oh and find those cutters before someone get poked.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:16 PM

Ya you're gonna have a lot more remorse if you poke somebody's eye out. Not cool at all.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 11-28-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werkout52 View Post
When I bought my 514e FLTD last year I compared it to the 514ce WW and chose the FLTD for the tuners and overall looks. While the FLTD sound is slightly softer than the WW I thought the WW sounded great. I totally agree that Adi tops need to be played to bring out the best. My Eastman E20om is sounding better daily. If you don't like the sound though, send it back.
Very interesting because I was going to buy the 514e FLTD from GuitarZoo for a good price, but I waited and someone else got the guitar literally 2 days before I was going to. Suffice to say I wasn't too pleased about it slipping away like that. The 514ce WW was also on my radar at the time and I pulled the trigger on it before it would get away too.

Adi sounds cold, but I like the note separation + it's very loud and doesn't break up when I play leads with a pick. I have a GS5 (cedar/hog) which I guess now will be my main fingerstyle guitar.

Do I regret buying the 514ce WW? No, I learned from this experience, it was definitely worth a try!
Old 11-28-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post
A new set of Elixir strings, especially the 80/20, will have a bright sound for the first couple of hours of play. After that they will "mellow" out considerably. I keep a set of already broken-in strings just for that situation. Give the strings time to play in. Nano coated will be a bit brighter than Polyweb.

Having had several Adirondack / mahogany guitars I can confirm that in general while that combination will have great clarity of notes, it will also not have much in the way of overtones and will have that "built in reverb" effect. Add that to being a Taylor and you get a bright sound.

Oh and find those cutters before someone get poked.
I stopped by at Walmart today and got some wire clippers! The guitar is now safe!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
adirondack, mahogany, taylor 514ce