The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-08-2001, 12:09 AM

Thumbs up New member reports on JKSM (Jewel) Model

Hi everyone;

I have emerged, fatigued but delighted, from the ravages of several weeks worth of intensive guitar shopping.

I've always been a dreadnought guy, but happened to spot this unusual but good-looking instrument in a local store. I played it for a while and loved the bright, open, cheerful tone. To me, this guitar sounds best when played in a leisurely fingerstyle or with finger picks. Like almost all Taylors, it is wonderfully playable.

Despite this flirty initial encounter, I put it back and continued the hunt for a new d-nought. All the while, I remained enamored with this guitar. It begged to be played differently than what I usually aspire to, and I found it relaxing. Not being able to stand the distance any more, I went back and bought it today! Very happy. If only it were that easy to get a date with the real Jewel!

Oh yeah, the dreadnought? I now realize I need TWO guitars, so that search will resume after the honeymoon...

I'd be curious to hear the impressions from any of the other 1,000 or so owners of this model. This guitar is my first Taylor.

[email protected]
Old 05-08-2001, 12:38 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of Taylors. Hope the JKSM brings years of enjoyment.

If you're looking for a D ... maybe this will be a two Taylor year? Maybe a 710?
Old 05-08-2001, 12:58 AM

Thanks for the welcome.

It may very well be a two-Taylor year! We'll see. I found a 2000 model 710 with a cedar top that looks magnificent and sounds great, esp. with the now discontinued abalone rosette. My two big reservations are 1) the durability of the cedar top (I am a klutz) and 2) how it will sound when I really lay into it and play agressively (I didn't do this in the store). I have read a number of comments that cedar-top guitars are not instruments to be driven hard, but occasionally I do play that way (Sometimes I have to keep up with the ol' arch-top banjo, y'know...)
Old 05-08-2001, 02:07 AM

I'd suggest you try playing it yourself and see how it holds up. I like the warm quality of cedar, but decided I like a koa/cedar combination rather than rosewood/cedar ... I like Engelmann on most guitars ... but now you can have a choice of tops, so you can build your own. But before making up your mind, you should probably play a whole bunch so you can find your own preferences, since you may ... or may not ... have the same quirky preferences I (or anyone else) have. For example, the JKSM did not catch my ear at all ... so you may not want to hear any of my preferences anyway.
Old 05-14-2001, 06:09 PM

I have two preferences for driving types of play,mahogany with sitka top or Koa all the way , but you have to try them all to see and feel what suits your own style.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification