The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-14-2001, 08:20 PM

Post advice on used

I'm Taylor shopping, and looking for opinions. I know, I know, it's all a matter of taste, but still .... My budget says 410, and I've like what I've played. To my ear the 410 is bright, crisp, and pretty loud. I like the 310, probably mostly because it sounds like my old guitar, more warm mahogony sounding. But the 410 has been quickly growing on me.

My question is about a guitar on sale, used, private party. 1999 710 with a cedar top, rosewood sides and back. Before I drive an hour and a half to check it out, I'm wondering what folks think of cedar as a top wood, cedar/rosewood as a combination, and the price being just a hair more than a 410.

Of course one problem in choosing, when you buy privately without having A/B's the madel in a store is not having a point of comparison, other than what your ear remembers.... Thanks for the opinions!

Richard
Old 05-15-2001, 01:44 PM

Another thing to remember: When you buy a used Taylor, the warranty becomes nullified. Taylor only honors warranties bought from authorized Taylor dealers, so if you buy it from a person (even if they bought it from an authorized dealer) the warranty does not transfer to you.

At least that is my understanding. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will come along and correct/clarify me.
Old 05-15-2001, 02:33 PM

If you don't mind not having a warranty, I guess my first question would be "What sound are you after?" The 410 will certainly be a brighter instrument, while the 710/Cedar will be more mellow. It's entirely a matter of taste. I love the sound of cedar (although oddly enough, I don't have a cedar guitar right now), but spruce sounds good to my ears as well. The Rosewood/Cedar combo is unbeatable for fingerstyle in my opinion, but someone else may completely disagree. It's really all a matter of what you need/want.
Old 05-15-2001, 03:14 PM

I have a 410 (2000) that I love. Great guitar, especially for the price. Unlike many dread users, I don't have a real heavy attack, but the 410 can take what you give it. But it also responds well to a lighter touch. Loud like a cannon, but sweet too.

But it's not a 710, especially with a cedar top. Try them both and see what best suits your style. I think the 410 is going to sound more like a lively 810. A 710 cedar is going to be even more mellow.

Good luck, and have fun.

Jay

Gibson J45 1942 Banner Reissue Custom Shop
Gibson Advanced Jumbo Custom Shop
Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Tele Highway One Reissue
Fender Jazz Bass
Old 05-17-2001, 05:48 PM

Go for the sound , your ear will remember.Be prepared to put the 710 through a workout.If I was selling a guitar and someone played three chords and bought it ,I`d be worried they had no idea what they were getting into.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification