The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-07-2009, 08:12 AM

Default Gibson Acoustics

I'm new to this forum, and to acoustic guitars in general, even though I've been playing for 40+ years.

Am I imagining it, or is there a general disdain for Gibson acoustics here? They are very rarely mentioned as a brand, and if they are, mentioned with, at best, indifference. Martins, Taylors, Larrivees are all talked about, along with the boutique maker brands. Seems like cheaper brands, like Yamaha and Alvarez are mentioned more than Gibsons.

I don't mean to sound like a troll, I am honestly curious as to the apparent negative treatment that Gibsons seem to get, or am I wrong??
Old 12-07-2009, 08:29 AM

Your impressions are correct as to a sizeable proportion of anti-Gibson feelings on this forum, sometimes tempered by a deference for "vintage" models. I would take that dislike with a pinch of salt in that many of the judgements seem based on instruments that have hung in GC ad infinitum with old rusty strings on them. Each person speaks from their own experiences and mine have been that Gibson, in terms of quality, is much like the other top makes like Martin and Taylor; there will be models you like and others you don't like, although for absolute fit and finish the other makes may have the edge. But ask anyone here who has owned a CJ165, like me, what they think of Gibson acoustics and you'll get a very different reply. If consistency is supposed to be one of Gibson's failings, I've yet to play a bad one. That's not to say it was as silck as a Taylor - the nut needed replacing on mine! - but the sound, for me, is what counts and a small issue like a faulty nut pales into insignificance when one hears this guitar.

Last edited by ewalling; 12-07-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:32 AM

I went through a phase where I owned 6 Gibson guitars (2 Hummingbirds, a J-45, a Southern Jumbo, an Advanced Jumbo and a J-200) and I can tell you this. They have their own sound which to my ear is very "thunk"-y. When I look back on it, I think I was attracted to them by the way they looked.

They were just as, if not more, expensive than my Taylors and Martins that I owned at the time and I found them to be wildly inconsistent from one guitar to another within the same model. Say what you will about the Taylor sound, but when you pick up a Taylor, they sound consistent. Same thing with Collings.

If there were no limit to the number of guitars I could own, I would have a couple of Gibsons around, but for me, I had to move on.
Gibson Jackson Browne Model 1
Gibson J-45 Studio
Taylor 714CE
Takamine Glenn Frey Signature
Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

it's a funny thing on this board. i read several martin threads in the last few weeks that said you should always play the guitar you're going to buy if possible because even the same makes and models won't all sound the same as one another. no one says martin is inconsistent, however.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:46 AM

There are some very strong opinions about Gibson on this and other guitar forums. Some of the salient points concerning them have already been stated but as a summary I would say Gibson has been tagged with issues of quality consistency, pricing, and ownership marketing methods and attitudes.

I personally like the Gibson sound and the aesthetic of their instruments. Maybe I've just been lucky but most all of the Gibsons I've played in the last year or so have been good ones. For my money their AJ model is one of the best looking and sounding instruments being made by any Guitar manufacturer.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I own a J-45. After playing many makes and models from different companies this was the standout. It does NOT sound like a Martin or Taylor...and that's why I like it. Gibsons have a sound all their own. Some like it, some don't. Not to say Gibson doesn't make a clunker now and then, but every maker does. I think the inconsistency of newer Gibsons is way overblown on this forum. Not sure where the hate stems from. I also hear people complaining about how Gibsons are way overpriced. I think their prices are pretty comparable to Martin and Taylor. If you are going by the MSRP, maybe, but nobody really pays that amount for a guitar.
My experience with Gibson has been a great one. In fact, my next purchase is going to be an AJ. Always trust your ears, not what other people say about a particular brand. And that includes me.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 AM

Gibsons are cool, I have a J-45 and a CL40 Artist.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:16 AM

I think more than any other brand of guitar Gibsons are hit and miss. It's easy to find a good one but it's quite another story to find a GREAT one.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 12-07-2009, 09:17 AM

Every guitar must be judged on it's individual merits. For example, I have had my hands on very expensive boutique guitars that produced nothing close to a desirable tone, in my opinion, and inexpensive old guitars that sounded fabulous.

A good Gibson acoustic guitar is a wonderful thing. As with any other tool, it takes craftsmanship to get an instrument to deliver what is has to offer. Play a few and decide for yourself.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:29 AM

My J-45 is my favourite all-round guitar.....she never disappoints, whether flatpicking, strumming or fingerstyle!

2018 Hinde custom 2 point Mandolin
2016 Kentucky KM-950 Mandolin
2016 Waterloo WL14 XTR "Tuxedo"
2015 Larrivee All-Hog 000-03 "Vintage"
2014 Ken Miller short scale slope dread
2011 Gibson "New Vintage" Southern Jumbo
2008 Fender Telecaster
Old 12-07-2009, 09:34 AM

I haven't felt any particular negative vibes about Gibson acoustics on this forum. If anything, the members of AGF are relatively mature in taste compared with other similar forums and there's very little unnecessary bashing of specific brands.

One thing to keep in mind is that dreadnoughts dominate the acoustic guitar world and Gibson aren't particularly known for this shape.

Personally, the only Gibson acoustic I would love to own is a reissue of the 1937 L-00 -- unfortunately it is way too expensive for what it is IMHO.

More realistically I'd like a J-45 but it hasn't been a priority so far.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Another Gibson fan here, although I'm a Martin fan too. I've got a '53 J-50 that I really like but I've also played some new J-45's and AJ's that sound great. As others have said, it's a different sound than Martin or Taylor. Viva la difference!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:04 AM

Default gibson acoustics

I agree that the different brands have different sounds, looks and playability. If I like the sound, look and playability of the guitar I buy it.
Hence my purchase of a Gibson Hummimgbird. I think you will find people on this forum that like or dislike just about every brand out there.

The important thing to remember is does it look, sound and play good for you.

guitars? yep still have some
Old 12-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

There is a minority of posters on this forum (and most others) who feel the need to belittle other brands, to validate their purchase of a different brand. Each brand gets it's share of being dumped on, although I think you're correct that Gibson gets a little more than the rest. Usually the criticism goes well beyond the quality of the instrument, and touches on everything from pricing to distribution strategy. Fortunately these posters seem to be in the minority, and most people are pretty fair in their views.
I own a Gibson, a Martin, and a Taylor. I love them all, and they are all very different. I have also played completely hopeless guitars made be each of those three manufacturers. 'Nuff said.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4

Last edited by Aaron Smith; 12-07-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:35 AM

Well, I played a used Gibson mockingbird once a few years ago, I loved it...then I got to play a new one...and hated it. Gibson has changed their tone...and not for the better some would say. They still make fine guitars, but they just don't have the clout that Martin and Taylor do.
2009 Lanikai LU21
Dunlop shaker egg
Alesis DM10 Pro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion